Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Spyderco Amalgam

Designer: Brian Lai
Factory: Taichung, Taiwan

STATS

Peel ply CF
Functional spydiehole
Compression Lock
Flipper
Conventional Spyderco spoon clip, 4 way reversible

MORE INFORMATION:

RETAIL PRICE: ~$175
S30V steel
Blade Length: around 3.8 inches
Blade stock thickness (at the pivot): .138 inches

ACTION VIDEOS

https://youtu.be/zjnJNNE4F6U
https://youtu.be/ktF3aZqZlN4

PICTURES:
IMG_20180208_180057.jpg
IMG_20180208_175929.jpg
IMG_20180208_171712.jpg
We are fortunate to have the blade designer, Gundamaniac (Brian Lai), in the thread to enlighten us about the design process!

Gundamaniac's Posts:

On Choils:

viewtopic.php?p=1207859#p1207859

Design Process:

viewtopic.php?p=1208440#p1208440

Prototype pictures and discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=1209324#p1209324
viewtopic.php?p=1209556#p1209556
viewtopic.php?p=1210891#p1210891
viewtopic.php?p=1211104#p1211104
Last edited by curlyhairedboy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by koenigsegg »

Did anyone else notice Condor also had an Amalgam? They even have it on their website already. I wouldn't be surprised if like the Silverax it gets a new name but it did look like a very interesting design that I would love to try.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it looks great but I would be much more interested if it didn't have a choil. Without the choil it would be a must buy for me. With the choil it is a maybe.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

It looks like a nice enough knife but I've got a mouthful of Amalgam! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

Really excited for this one. Although I think it may be slightly pricier than I would like.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I think it looks great but I would be much more interested if it didn't have a choil. Without the choil it would be a must buy for me. With the choil it is a maybe.
Same. I just don't get the "100% blade choil", it's even more a waste of edge space than a 50/50. This would have been another great all around EDC like the Sliverax, possibly even more popular due to the more mainstream design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Not interested. I don't like the blade shape.
ekimox

Post by ekimox »

Defintely excited for this one. I love the look, shape and size of the blade, and I'm a fan of the choil. I'll need to see a review or two first but there's an excellent chance that this will be added to the collection. I also love Eric's explanation of how the blade came to be. Gives the knife more character.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think my favorite thing about it is the blade shape. A conventional drop point with a long straight - coupled with a full flat grind, a flipper, AND a functional spydiehole.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Personally, I like choils. The way the choil meets the edge means it serves as a sharpening choil and you can really bring that edge angle down when sharpening without accidentally nicking the handle on the stone. It's large enough to double as a finger choil, allowing you to choke up and get your hand right up to the start of the edge if you need to. And the slope of the choil where it meets the blade should be gentle enough that material being cut shouldn't accidentally bind in the choil but rather slide onto the edge if you're drawing the knife back in a pull cut motion.

I do concede that it results in the loss of some cutting edge though. But that's one of the nice things about Spyderco; they offer a wealth of designs and different combinations of features to fit various preferences and needs. The debate over choil preferences continues as it always has, but in the meantime Spyderco has you covered, whatever your preference may be :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

gundamaniac wrote:Personally, I like choils. The way the choil meets the edge means it serves as a sharpening choil and you can really bring that edge angle down when sharpening without accidentally nicking the handle on the stone. It's large enough to double as a finger choil, allowing you to choke up and get your hand right up to the start of the edge if you need to. And the slope of the choil where it meets the blade should be gentle enough that material being cut shouldn't accidentally bind in the choil but rather slide onto the edge if you're drawing the knife back in a pull cut motion.

I do concede that it results in the loss of some cutting edge though. But that's one of the nice things about Spyderco; they offer a wealth of designs and different combinations of features to fit various preferences and needs. The debate over choil preferences continues as it always has, but in the meantime Spyderco has you covered, whatever your preference may be :D
welcome!

and thanks ;)
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Yay...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

So happily we have the knife designer in the thread (GundaManiac) and hopefully he can enlighten us about the design process a little more.

How long is the blade? How thick is it? :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hmm, a big flat ground flipper. This is one that may grow on me. I'm totally down with the choil. It looks like a pretty comfy knife! I'll stay tuned...
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Thanks for the welcome! Long time lurker, first time poster (...technically I guess this is my second post, but hey, semantics :p )

Curlyhairedboy, unfortunately I don't have numbers like that on hand as I don't have the actual prototype with me. But based on the original model I submitted, it should be something like 3.85 inches from the edge of the handle to the blade tip, and approximately 4mm thick (I know, shame on me, mixing my units).
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Excellent! I was hoping for something beefy and under 4 inches :D
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

This one made the top of my watch list among all the 2018 Spydercos announced. Eagerly awaiting more specs, photos, and in-hand reviews.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

This is a must for me. I really like the offerings this year. Almost like they got inside of my head somehow...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hey GundaManiac, any insight into the design process? Is there a particular task that the amalgam is designed for?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I'd buy one in a lefty version. I can't do right-handed compression locks.