Spydiechef or slys bowie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xxbioxx

Spydiechef or slys bowie

Post by xxbioxx »

Help me please. Who has the experience of spydiechef and slys Bowie? I would like to use EDC and kitchen / eat and prep/ tasks. What would be the right choice?
So far the spydiechef I am thinking of.
Kris
xceptnl

Re: Spydiechef or slys bowie

Post by xceptnl »

xxbioxx wrote:Help me please. Who has the experience of spydiechef and slys Bowie? I would like to use EDC and kitchen / eat and prep/ tasks. What would be the right choice?
So far the spydiechef I am thinking of.
I have no experience with the Slys yet, but I can tell you I love the Spydiechef. The Fit & Finish is outstanding and on par with any of the other Ti framed knives I have from other major manufacturers.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SG89

Post by SG89 »

kind of impossible to find a Slysz bowie right now plus the price is super high so go with spydie chef
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

They are both great knives, but the fit and finish on the Bowie is in a whole different league. The contoured stonewashed handles, rounded spine, and the ergos make the knife just feel awesome in hand and in use. The action and lockup also feels much more refined IMO. It's one of my favorite knives.

The Spydiechef does do food prep well, but I don't actually feel like it does it that much better despite how it looks. If it was larger it would be a clear winner, but the Bowie works quite well due to the large belly and thin FFG. The Spydiechef is currently my mess kit knife, and it does a great job. I removed the lanyard tube and the middle rear standoff to make it easier to wash out. It's definitely a great knife, and much cheaper than the Bowie.

xxbioxx

Post by xxbioxx »

The spydieche was in my hand few minutes and really liked it. to the blade shape it is very useful to use.i use pm2 now and there is a lot of difference between them
Kris
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Spydiechef for what you are looking to do. Very useful design and functional for some light food prep.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Agreed, Spydiechef for your uses, also the Bowie has blown up on the secondary. Personally prefer the Bowie though, so much more refined, the Spydiechef is kinda blocky but does ride nice and flat in the pocket.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JimP

Post by JimP »

The Bowie is my favourite Spyderco that I never use....while it feels fairly good in hand, has too much belly though still functions well and is the best finished and sexiest Spydie I've owned, I simply find the Spydiechef is the most useful and comfortable EDC and general use folding knife. The lack of concern around saltwater and acidic foods in the pivot area is a huge bonus!
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I have had both and still have the Slysz Bowie. I don't think either is particularly good for food prep, but the Spydiechef has a slight edge there because you get a bit more board clearance. The Slysz Bowie feels and looks like a more expensive knife, but they're very difficult to find as others have noted. The build and aesthetics of the Spydiechef are much like the Bowie, but less nice. Fewer "details." (And mine had a terrible amount of lockstick, which was awful.)

The blades on both are too short and too thick to be of much real use in the kitchen. That's true of most folding knives. There are knives that are good EDC knives; there are knives that are good for preparing food. There aren't any that are especially good at both, to my knowledge. If you want knives for both tasks, you're probably better off buying knives for both tasks.

I would prefer virtually any random kitchen knife over virtually any folder if the goal is cutting food. I would rather go buy a junk $1 chef's knife from the Salvation Army or Goodwill than use my $300 EDC to cut onions. Because my $300 EDC folder sucks at cutting onions. A $1 thrift store kitchen knife will walk all over any EDC fancy folding knife you might have your eye on. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get that fancy EDC folding knife you've had your eye on. Just that you should pick up a cheap kitchen knife while you're at it.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

I know it’s slightly off topic, but my military has helped me cook many meals at hunting camp and I find it works reasonably well for that task.

David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Get both. :)
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy the Chef. The blade shape is so beautiful. Although I really prefer a more negative blade angle, this probably lends itself to general EDC quite well, and since it won't easily rust it's a pretty low maintenance knife. Honestly I wouldn't buy either one with food prep in mind so that argument is lost on me, neither one is long enough to really bother with. If I wanted a folder for food prep I'd get a Resilience.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I own both. I had fully intended to buy the chef, but I bought the bowie on impulse when they were discontinued and the units available were selling out fast. I couldn't believe I actually spend $300 on a knife. The worst part is, I had promised myself I was only going to buy knives I'd actually use. But the bowie is so amazing and now that it's discontinued, I just can't bring myself to use it (long term issue I have to deal with). I love to cook, so the chef was something that appealed to me and my wife got me one for Christmas. It's a wonderful knife, but as everyone says. not quite up to the bowie standards. I've used it to cut cheese and soppressata and it works wonderfully. What I can't understand is why people slam it as a food prep knife and try to compare it to an actual chef's knife? Clearly the blade is not a long as an actual chef's knife so it's not up to that task. It fits more along the lines of a pairing or utility knife. I have a whole Wustof Classic Block set, but it just brings me joy to cut stuff with my Spydercos, and isn't that what it's about? I could get by 99% of the time with a razor blade, letter opener and scissors, but I enjoy my knives. For what you want the Spydiechef seems like the right option, but if you can get a bowie at a good price, it's a lovely knife.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I have both and none of them really shines for food prep

Between these two if it's just for food prep I would recommend you K11P :D , it's true that you may have minor difficulties to carry it in our pocket :D

Bowie is more refined, more expensive, is discontinued and is getting harder to find

Spydiechef is a bit better on the chopping board and "more stainless", cheaper and is still available