What Spyderco have you lent to a friend, who broke it through mishandling?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: What Spyderco have you lent to a friend, who broke it through mishandling?

Post by abbazaba »

I handed a friend my Maxamet Native recently when he asked for knife and promptly opened a beer tab with the tip :/ People use knives in creative ways. (knife was fine)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

twinboysdad wrote:Leave it sticking in his hand...
Twins, I'm hearing you! ;)

Dubbya, I truly feel for you!

I cherish even the smallest gift and imagine I'd have felt nauseous at seeing my knife abused as you describe.

I'm pretty easy go luck and I'm very slow to anger. Unfortunately when I am indeed driven to it, it consumes me. I don't raise my voice, make idle threats, throw things or anything but I loose all reasoning.

More than likely I'd calmly drive to his shop fully prepared to do him harm. I'd put the knife on his counter and ask: "What's this"?

His initial response would determine how it ended for us.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Borrow some rare vinyl, and leave it in the back window of your automobile in the summer...

When it bends, ( and it will ) say, "The needle still touches the grooves, does it not? AND, at least there are NO scratches! ""
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry to hear about your knife, RLDubbya. I’ve been in a similar situation and it is certainly very upsetting—especially when it happens by the hand of someone you once trusted. Hopefully he makes things right.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i lent my delica to a coworker before because he needed to open a lot of boxes wrapped in packing tape. he didn't broke the knife or anything but what irks me is that he didn't even bothered cleaning the gunk off the blade or at least even apologized that hes in a hurry he didn't have time to clean it.
next time anyone asks me for a blade, i lend them my leatherman squirt. it has a blade and a bottle opener for light prying- at least it could handle anything i could not even think of them doing with any of my spydies.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If the guy is a real friend he would understand that he needs to pay for repairs.

I had a platoon lt. and Sgt. ask to borrow my knife during training once. I offered it up but watched to see what they were doing. They were going to try and baton a hardened steel padlock off with the thing. I couldn't believe how stupid they were. I got it back before any damage was done other than embarrassing them. It made me consider what I would do if we went to war to insure the officers stupidity didn't have a chance to get us killed. This was mid 1981 Germany during the Cold war and figured Nuclear, Chemical and Biological war along with over 10,000 warsaw pact tanks should be enough of a threat without having to worry about green butter bars killing us. My platoon Sgt. knew my feelings so he assigned me to take care of the new Lt's and drive them when in the field. Keeping those guys from doing stupid things was a full time job , I admit. If they made it past the first 6 months they were usually OK.

Joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DutchBlades wrote:That sucks big time...
I tend to carry a SAK with me every day and if anyone ever asks for a blade, they get that one.
Nobody gets the Spydie, because people just don't realize how much value a knife can hold; emotional and/or financial.
Seeing how you've explained the story behind the knife, I'm astounded by the fact that he continued to (ab)use it for something it clearly wasn't built to do...
+1

This is what 2nd hand or old SAKs are for.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Bloke wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Leave it sticking in his hand...
Twins, I'm hearing you! ;)

Dubbya, I truly feel for you!

I cherish even the smallest gift and imagine I'd have felt nauseous at seeing my knife abused as you describe.

I'm pretty easy go luck and I'm very slow to anger. Unfortunately when I am indeed driven to it, it consumes me. I don't raise my voice, make idle threats, throw things or anything but I loose all reasoning.

More than likely I'd calmly drive to his shop fully prepared to do him harm. I'd put the knife on his counter and ask: "What's this"?

His initial response would determine how it ended for us.
Pretty much the right course of action I think. Dubbya has specifically told the story, and the so called ‘friend’ knows why he’s selling the records. And this person doesn’t have the decency to respect the favor given. I think it’s likely his valuation to the collection was lower than market would, if he’s made of such character. I’m sorry this add to the bad feeling you have about him, and probably about the deal, but as outsiders observing this, I cannot help not thinking this guy isn’t straight.

All the comments about having a cheaper loaner knives are good but not addressing the fundamental issue: someone you trust betrayed the trust by hiding the damage done to your property loaned in good faith.
Chris :spyder:
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

lent my very first Spyderco (Delica III) to an acquaintance, they never broke it, just refused to return it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Walk in his shop (after getting your payment for your records) and ask to see a decent album. Break it over your knee. Leave him the Chubby as payment.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

As soon as I hear, "Lemme see your knife", I know that they're about to use it as a gasket scraper, can opener, etc. I've had more than one tool returned to me in two pieces. I don't supply tools for the crew.