SE Military Sprint??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

SE Military Sprint??

Post by jdw »

JD Spydo brought the full SE version up in another thread but I was wondering if it would be cost effective to do a sprint run? I don't know enough about the actual knife manufacturing process to know if they could switch over with the new CQI improvements, use existing S30V and use existing scales? It seems the SE would qualify it as unique enough for spint status and it wouldn't depend on the effort of a regular production run.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Re: SE Military Sprint??

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:JD Spydo brought the full SE version up in another thread but I was wondering if it would be cost effective to do a sprint run? I don't know enough about the actual knife manufacturing process to know if they could switch over with the new CQI improvements, use existing S30V and use existing scales? It seems the SE would qualify it as unique enough for spint status and it wouldn't depend on the effort of a regular production run.
Glad you brought this up "JDW" :) my very favorite Spyderedged Military model was the 440V SE unit. And what I've seen here lately that got my attention is that Crucible is apparently producing 440V ( S60V) again and I had previously thought that blade steel was permanently discontinued. But I've seen two vendors in the knife magazines advertise it lately. I would be very content if Spyderco wanted to do a Sprint Run ( or even bring it back to the main line up) with the 440V again. To me it's one of my top 5 favorite blade steels in Spyderedge.

440V is so tough and chip resistant that it's almost perfect for Spyderedges. But there is one drawback to it :rolleyes: it's an absolute "Monster" to sharpen :eek: But once you get it sharp it stays sharp for quite a while.

Another consideration that many of the "steel snobs" and "steel junkies" (like myself :rolleyes: ) are a couple of the newer blade steels that I suspect would also make a great blade steel for Spyderedges>> one being CTS-XHP and the other is S3V. I've pondered about those two for Spyderedges for some time. And I bet a Spyderedged Sprint Run of either one would sell out very fast.

YES!!! we need the return of the Spyderedged Military model ;)
FK

Post by FK »

I have been a fan of the Military for 20 years,,, would purchase a SE Military in any steel.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

I have the old 440V SE. Wouldn't mind seeing a new run!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydieh0le wrote:I have the old 440V SE. Wouldn't mind seeing a new run!
If they by chance have any left over bar stock of 440V this would be the most excellent way to use it up IMO. This has just got to get done because so many of the hard core fans of the C-36 Military model have sounded off that they want to see the return of the Spyderedged Military model.

Now if they do elect to do a Sprint Run, although I think most of us would like to see it return again to the main line up. But if they only limit it to a Sprint Run I'm hoping that they either use 440V or XHP. It would be a "slam-dunk" winner all the way.

Especially with the overall popularity of the C-36 Military model growing exponentially this is a golden opportunity that I hope Spyderco does not ignore.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd buy one
:unicorn
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

S60V is, I believe, back in production. I have a few recent blades out of it, and I'm in Russia. And a throwback PE S60V Military would be sweet too!
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
spydieh0le wrote:I have the old 440V SE. Wouldn't mind seeing a new run!
If they by chance have any left over bar stock of 440V this would be the most excellent way to use it up IMO. This has just got to get done because so many of the hard core fans of the C-36 Military model have sounded off that they want to see the return of the Spyderedged Military model.

Now if they do elect to do a Sprint Run, although I think most of us would like to see it return again to the main line up. But if they only limit it to a Sprint Run I'm hoping that they either use 440V or XHP. It would be a "slam-dunk" winner all the way.

Especially with the overall popularity of the C-36 Military model growing exponentially this is a golden opportunity that I hope Spyderco does not ignore.
Maybe Crucible has a steel up their sleeve that would work well with serrations. CPM-3V or Cruwear might be good options.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I started that thread in 2014. We are all but done with 2017
jdw

Post by jdw »

I guess that I won't hold my breath but it seems like a good idea, especially now that there are already so many versions of the Military currently available with different varieties of steel to choose from. This could offer something a little more unique.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like the idea.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

With the Para 2/3 getting SE options I'm surprised a Military isn't offered. At this point I think I'd even be interested in a condo edge Military if it were offered in a fun steel (not S30V sorry). I'm shocked I'm even saying that but I feel like it has enough edge length to make a decent compromise between the two edge types. For that matter the new Police 4 may be a good candidate for a combo edge too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Combo edge yes, SE no. I really don't like SE on anything except a bread knife.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Evil D wrote:... I'd even be interested in a condo edge Military...
Does that mean you left your knife in the corner of your apartment? :D
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think I could go for a CE as well. Maybe like a 60/40 or even 50/50 split of PE/SE. Like David said though, no S30V please. I have that steel covered in both edge types.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:I think I could go for a CE as well. Maybe like a 60/40 or even 50/50 split of PE/SE. Like David said though, no S30V please. I have that steel covered in both edge types.
Oh I can go along with that>> you and EVIL D are truly thinking right about the C-36 Military being a good model for a combo edge. My main objection to combo edges is that they tend to put them on models with too small of blades. The C-36 Military, the Endura and about 6 other models in that size range I could think of would truly benefit with a combo edge.

I had a thread a while back and I think the title was "Combo Edges? Love Them Or Hate Them? It was a very interesting thread with some very good comments on it.

I'm wanting to see a combo edged Hawkbill and I believe this upcoming Sprint Run of the Spyderhawk would be a great one to try that on.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’d definitely be down for a fully serrated Military with all of the new CQI changes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:I guess that I won't hold my breath but it seems like a good idea, especially now that there are already so many versions of the Military currently available with different varieties of steel to choose from. This could offer something a little more unique.
As popular as the C-36 Military has gotten over the past 3 years especially it just makes perfect sense to offer up this great model in Spyderedge. Now I'm in no way saying that they should make Spyderedges in every supersteel that they make the Military model in. You could limit it to about two different blade steels for SE models.

As far as I'm converned they could take older bar stock that they have at GOLDEN and use it for the Spyderedged Military models. The SE Military should be one variant designed for hard use. If they are going to make the PARA in SE then it's only logical that the big brother also gets teeth :cool: