Slysz Bowie detent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bpfohio

Slysz Bowie detent

Post by Bpfohio »

Picked up my slysz Bowie for edc today for the first time in quite a while and I noticed that the detent is significantly weaker than I remembered. I can get it to open just by shaking it now. I took it apart and took a look and the detent ball looks flat. I'm assuming this isn't usual but maybe I'm just used to knives with a harder detent?
awa54

Re: Slysz Bowie detent

Post by awa54 »

Its not supposed to be flat! when you had it apart did you notice how sharply the recess in the tang was cut?

My coworker's Sage 1 was not opening smoothly and the reason was that the detent hole was so sharp that it shaved the top off of the ball... we polished the ball and chamfered the hole, the problem hasn't come back.

While I have never done it my self, I understand that replacing the steel detent ball with a ceramic one is also a fix for this issue.

I guess sometimes those crisp, perfect Taichung edges can be a liability :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bpfohio

Post by Bpfohio »

awa54 wrote:Its not supposed to be flat! when you had it apart did you notice how sharply the recess in the tang was cut?

My coworker's Sage 1 was not opening smoothly and the reason was that the detent hole was so sharp that it shaved the top off of the ball... we polished the ball and chamfered the hole, the problem hasn't come back.

While I have never done it my self, I understand that replacing the steel detent ball with a ceramic one is also a fix for this issue.

Is it possible to change out a detent ball on your own? And the detent hole isn't ramped but doesn't really seem sharp or anything. I've just had the knife since the month they released and I guess worn it out. I haven't really touched it in the last year or so because of the Para 3.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bpfohio wrote:
awa54 wrote:Its not supposed to be flat! when you had it apart did you notice how sharply the recess in the tang was cut?

Is it possible to change out a detent ball on your own? And the detent hole isn't ramped but doesn't really seem sharp or anything. I've just had the knife since the month they released and I guess worn it out. I haven't really touched it in the last year or so because of the Para 3.
I have never replaced a detent ball, but other members here have mentioned doing it, not sure how difficult or what special tools/techniques are required.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

That sounds like a perfect reason to send it to Golden for warranty repair.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Bpfohio

Post by Bpfohio »

Spydersense wrote:That sounds like a perfect reason to send it to Golden for warranty repair.
I agree. Shipping her out on Monday :( took me by surprise this morning and kinda bums me out because I thought it was perfect a few months ago
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Mine is the same way. Just assumed a weak detent on this knife was the norm. Only thing holding this knife back from being a gem to me.