Loving the Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Loving the Para 3

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:A "deep carry" clip like the Casey Lynch model I have on my Para 3 does not make it a deep carry knife. It makes the Para 3 a "normal carry" knife that sticks out about the same as a Delica or PM2 or Native 5.

My Dfly 2 and Caly 3.5 definitely carry deeper than my modified Para 3. I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.
It clearly carries deeper with the mxg than the Para 2 with a standard clip. Exaggerating hints doesn't help anyone.
I'm not sure how the lynch compares to the MXG, but the MXG on the para3 is definitely deep carry (imho).
zclip.jpg
delica4, para3, native5
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

EmperorMA wrote: I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.

Exactly

You guys that dont see the problem that is great for you. We are merely addressing our frustration / disappointment. You seem to think we should all just say nothing and just go with the flow, never question Spyderco. But I dont think anyone would benefit from that. We are customers and users we have an opinion and this is a platform for use to air them out.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:A "deep carry" clip like the Casey Lynch model I have on my Para 3 does not make it a deep carry knife. It makes the Para 3 a "normal carry" knife that sticks out about the same as a Delica or PM2 or Native 5.

My Dfly 2 and Caly 3.5 definitely carry deeper than my modified Para 3. I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.
It clearly carries deeper with the mxg than the Para 2 with a standard clip. Exaggerating hints doesn't help anyone.
I'm not sure how the lynch compares to the MXG, but the MXG on the para3 is definitely deep carry (imho).
zclip.jpg
delica4, para3, native5
A picture is worth a thousand words ;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mic1 wrote: .... I dont think anyone would benefit from that. We are customers and users we have an opinion and this is a platform for use to air them out.
I agree, constructive customer feedback (such as I don't like the clip placement on this model OR I love it just the way it is) is valuable to Spyderco and knife afi's.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

It also clearly carries much higher out of pocket than the PM2 with factory clip, which is absurd for a 3 inch blade. If we're all honest, nothing about this knife reflects what the masses asked for. Most were excited for a mini PM2, but that's not what we got. I have one, carry it some, it's an OK knife, but a mini PM2 it ain't, and that's what most wanted. The lanyard hole/clip debacle just adds to the disappointment, for me anyway.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wrathhog wrote: ....If we're all honest, nothing about this knife reflects what the masses asked for. Most were excited for a mini PM2, but that's not what we got. I have one, carry it some, it's an OK knife, but a mini PM2 it ain't, and that's what most wanted. The lanyard hole/clip debacle just adds to the disappointment, for me anyway.
Really not trying to be contrary, but if I'm 100% honest, this IS the mini PM2 I was hoping for and expecting and I will be buying more of them.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mic1 wrote:
EmperorMA wrote: I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.

Exactly

You guys that dont see the problem that is great for you. We are merely addressing our frustration / disappointment. You seem to think we should all just say nothing and just go with the flow, never question Spyderco. But I dont think anyone would benefit from that. We are customers and users we have an opinion and this is a platform for use to air them out.
Hey Mic, I don't think anyone has said that the folks that aren't happy with the clip placement should say nothing. I have, however, heard a few folks who aren't happy with the clip placement imply that NOBODY likes it. Based on the feedback here that is obviously not true. As for me, I understand your point of view, I just don't share it. Just because we hold different opinions though doesn't mean that I think yours is wrong. :)

*to clarify, when I say I don't share your opinion that may not be completely accurate. If they changed the clip to make the knife ride a little lower, it wouldn't bother me and who knows, I might like it better but it is a very very minor concern to me. So much so that I never would have noticed the "issue" if I hadn't read about it here. So I guess what we disagree on is not whether the knife is perfect in its current form but rather the gravity of the issue. For me it is essentially a NON issue.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wrathhog wrote: ....If we're all honest, nothing about this knife reflects what the masses asked for. Most were excited for a mini PM2, but that's not what we got. I have one, carry it some, it's an OK knife, but a mini PM2 it ain't, and that's what most wanted. The lanyard hole/clip debacle just adds to the disappointment, for me anyway.
Really not trying to be contrary, but if I'm 100% honest, this IS the mini PM2 I was hoping for and expecting and I will be buying more of them.
Same here. I always find it enlightening when other people tell me what I really think. ;)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Para 3 is great. I'd probably carry it more if I had one in Cruwear haha.
Josh
standy99

Post by standy99 »

As said before in a round about way.

I have bought the Para 3 because of the clip position and have not purchased others over time ( like the Manix 2 ) due to the clip position.

A lot easier to buy a deep carry clip than vise versa

Great that Spyderco has so many models to cater to all preferences
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Are you all worried someone might see it? Concerned with it getting dinged on something during carry? Something I'm missing?

Deep carry clips make the knife difficult to extract in my experience.
Here in Europe, Netherlands, people always look anxious when you carry a knife. Carrying a classic SAK might be ok, but carrying one hand opening fast modern designs might raise eyebrows. At my work people know my knife-behaviour and when something needs to be cut I am called in. :p Sofar I can carry all folding Spydies legally where I go, but in certain public area's in town there are restrictions. When checked there and carrying, your knife will be confiscated. If I carry there I carry in the waistband, deepcarry or tucked away, invisible.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I moved the clip to tip down carry just like my PM2s and it carries exactly the same (though shorter). If the tip up position carried lower in the pocket I may have left it that way, but maybe not since I am ok with tip down. Whether I have the PM2 or the Para 3 in my pocket they both deploy the same so there is commonality there.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

bouhunter wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

zclip.jpg
delica4, para3, native5
A picture is worth a thousand words ;)
A picture is worth a thousand words, indeed. It does help, though, if the picture is actually a photo of the intended subject matter (Casey Lynch clip) vs. something different.
IMG_0539.JPG
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

Are the MXG and Lynch clips, in natural titanium, a close match to the blade color on most knives....or is it much more gray/dull?
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

sanman28 wrote:Are the MXG and Lynch clips, in natural titanium, a close match to the blade color on most knives....or is it much more gray/dull?
My Lynch is duller and darker, for sure.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sanman28 wrote:Are the MXG and Lynch clips, in natural titanium, a close match to the blade color on most knives....or is it much more gray/dull?
I can't speak to what the Lynch clips are like but the natural titanium MXG is a little darker in color than the blade steel on the cruwear. I like it. They also come in anodized blue, powder coat black, and bronze :D

Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I was just out picking up branches from the wind we had from Irma and cut on some oak branches with several knives. In forceful cuts, really digging into the wood, the Para 3 was the most comfortable, or perhaps I should say least uncomfortable, since a large fixed blade with a contoured handle would be the best choice. This was comparing PM2, Sebenza 25, and N5 LW. In recent work doing similar things the N5 and a small Inkosi were the most comfortable, now the Para 3 tops them. It just fits my hand.