SpyderThrowers ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

SpyderThrowers ETA?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hi there!

Anyone know a rough availability window for the SpyderThrowers?

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
sal

Re: SpyderThrowers ETA?

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

The knives are in. The sheaths are in. Mike's finishing up the book.

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was wondering this same thing recently! Glad to hear they're almost here! I'll be in for at least one set once they drop! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

That's awesome news! Will you guys by chance have a guide for making a backboard we can throw them at? :)

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Woohoo! I'm making my annual pilgrimage to the SFO this week! Maybe I can sneak out of there with a set! Super excited for these!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great news, I'll be grabbing a set for sure.

Still undecided on which size to get though, thinking medium, what size are others looking at getting?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

farnorthdan wrote:Great news, I'll be grabbing a set for sure.

Still undecided on which size to get though, thinking medium, what size are others looking at getting?
I don't have much experience throwing knives and haven't really developed any preferences when it comes to throwing knives, but I think I'm going with Large. For the sole purpose that if I recall correctly I had asked Michael Janich of his preference in another thread, and he said the larger size. :cool: (Though, all 3 sizes throw relatively similarly)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been waiting for these! great news.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:Great news, I'll be grabbing a set for sure.

Large for sure. They will undoubtedly throw the best and I don't need them to be compact for any reason. I'm only going to carry these when I'm going out specifically to throw them so I want the most functional size.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm going for the little guys. I used to own some Gil Hibben throwers and I always preferred the little ones over the full size. I do have small hands though fwiw.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm not sure what the price is going to be but if they're not too expensive I will get a set of mediums too and compare them.
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

DansGunBlog wrote:That's awesome news! Will you guys by chance have a guide for making a backboard we can throw them at? :)

You don't really need a backstop guide, just a little looking and some muscle and planning. :)

What I did was look for someone in the area that had just had a large tree cut down, where thick slabs were left out for free pickens. I "asked" just the same,...and they were free. So I struggled alone sort of rolling 12-16" thick x about 20-24" in diameter slabs over to the back of my beat up Honda Pilot.

I was alone and the homeowner was a much older guy than I was at the time. (I was 59 and he had to be 75 at least) So what I did, as I couldn't lift the slabs alone as they were much too heavy (near 200 pounds and over on some probably), was the following.....

I stacked a few of the thinner slabs I thought I wouldn't be taking with me at the back of the SUV, making a sort of a raised platform to about 12 or so inches in height. Then I'd roll one of the thicker slabs over to and UP onto the platform. Next I angled the side of the thick slab side over the edge of the SUV cargo area, (which took a lot of the weight off the slab), and levered the slab up some more to have it fully inside. Pushed it back as far as I could and did it all over again!

In the end I did take a few of the thinner slabs anyway, in order to reverse the process and get them all OUT of the vehicle. Now I have a durable knife and tomahawk double wide, angled back on a dirt base throwing target that will outlast me! :rolleyes:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

In my much younger and much sillier days (the 90's) I had to replace the door to my first apartment because we threw knives into it for a year. (People were always sure to knock before coming in :D ). I threw one of my knives into the door as a goof, just showing off, of course my roommates had to try it too.... a year later we bought a new door before we moved out :rolleyes:

just checked the price on BHQ for anyone interested, seems the smalls (set of three) go for $60 MAP the large for $70 :cool:

on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Large for me as well.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Any update on when these will be available for order on Amazon and other sellers?

Been planning these as a gift, so anxious to know actual ETA. :)

Thanks!
Dan

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Does anyone know : do you throw these edge first ?

Marius
taotozh

Post by taotozh »

Throwing knives considered to be stable while flying and sticking into the board if they weight 300-350 grams or more. the large is 280 which is the clousest tp this number
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like these will be hitting the dealers soon.

Theres a Collectors Club set of each size on the bay, so it shouldn't be too long before the dealers start to get them!

Im excited to try these ones out! Im thinking large still ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

64376586-CD48-49BF-8211-EC93231D1628.png
I recommend the separately sold cork for you Bloke.