Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Post by sal »

Hi Salimoneus,

I don't think you will have any problems here.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I love this forum. This site brings me joy everyday. I have had one of the hardest years of my young life and this forum and this company have brought a smile to my face daily. I love learning and interacting with other forum members and I love that Spyderco employees and owner are here to answer questions and inspire others to strive to be better. Thank you so much everyone for sharing, teaching, and enjoying Spyderco along side me. :spyder: :)
We are happy to have you here too. This place is truly like one big family. :) It is interesting to note that WireEdgeRoger and I both started here on the forum shortly after our fathers passed away. I know this sounds cheesy, but it was one of the best forms of therapy for me. Sure, there have been a few bumps and tiffs over the years here, but the good always prevails in the end. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

Are these disputes really about the Spydie hole? I think Spydie hole is a great device for deploying a knife - but so is a well-designed thumb stud, especially those by Benchmade. So I really don't see why this should be a subject of antagonism. There are lots of great knives out there, made by lots of good companies. True knife lovers shouldn't become so wedded to one company that they reject the products of all other companies. Maybe everybody who posts on this forum should be required to own knives made by at least three different companies.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Just got my first Spyderco (southard) recently, and decided to register. I'm really happy with the quality and the fit and finish! I'm looking forward to buying and using more Spyderco knives.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Using cars as my metaphor - I've always had a weakness for wanting to trade the car I have for another. Just a couple of years away from 7 decades on this ole earth - I've had a lot of different cars which means if met many-a-salesman and a lot of sales techniques. The technique that twist my knobs too far - is the salesmen that tries to sell me his car - by telling me how bad the 'other' guys car is or worse yet, how bad my car is. Deal? - pretty much done at that point. Sell me your widget based on how good 'your' widget is - not how bad the other guy's widget is.

Regards, Jerry
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jerry,

It seems you are a car guy and a young fellow, about my age, and your car experience is similar to mine.

I too am a car guy (used to be a bike guy), and I agree with you.

sal
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Good day Sal.
I too have always had a bike. The bike I have now, a Star Raider, has not been driven this year at all. Last year I put a couple of hours on it -- just to keep it from getting stiff and sore from laying around too much.

I see you're from Golden, Co - Isn't the Spyderco store in Golden? My mother-in-law has a house in Westcliffe, Co --- we go there occasionally and I thought the next time we go to Westcliffe (and tool around Co a little) we'd make a run to Golden. Is their store pretty nice? Take care and thanks for the shout.

Regards, Jerry
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jerry,

You don't want the bike to get rusty. ;) My last bike was a VTR-1000 (I was a knee dragger, canyon racing)

We think our store is pretty nice, and we're making it better all of the time.

sal
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Mr. Sal,

'We think our store is pretty nice, and we're making it better all of the time.'

'We think,,,' ---- Is that as a resident of Golden, Co. - or as someone associated with 'the Store?'
I'm not as concerned about the scooter getting rusty -- as me getting rustier!

Regards, Jerry
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Mr. Sal,
I just looked at a post 'new Chaparral for 2016' -- maybe I'll visit you at your store the next time we make it to Colorado! (I vote 'for' bolsters.)

Regards, Jerry
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jerryh wrote:Mr. Sal,

'We think our store is pretty nice, and we're making it better all of the time.'

'We think,,,' ---- Is that as a resident of Golden, Co. - or as someone associated with 'the Store?'
I'm not as concerned about the scooter getting rusty -- as me getting rustier!

Regards, Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Sal is Sal Glesser, the owner and founder of Spyderco. :) He is quite modest too, but the neat thing is that he mingles with us Forumites on a regular basis (for which we are very appreciative). ;)

Take care,

Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

,,, (for which we are very appreciative). ;)

Properly so (being appreciative). Now that I've been properly introduced - you reckon Sal's going to invite me over for some fried chicken? Jus kiddun - (of course). Widget maker speaking directly with the widget user - how could the widget user do better?

Thanks for the heads up Michael -- Nice to have spoken with ya Sal.

Regards, Jerry
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Not a problem, sir. I am glad to have helped. Being able to converse back and forth here with Sal regarding knives, steel, prototypes--even life itself, is indeed an honor and privilege. :) ;)

Take care,
Michael

sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for visitin', Jerry.

sal
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Its threads like this that keep me buying Spyderco. Its why I've basically sold off most of my other brands. I'm fairly new to Spyderco but the quality of the knives and the company will keep me around for a long time. Sal you're a classy guy and that fact that you communicate directly with your customers is a pretty awesome thing.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

For me there are no other knives beside Spyderco.I love the story behind the company,the infectious passion with which Sal and Eric are talking about their knives,the leaf shaped blades,the thumb hole,and the tradition melting with inovation in their products.
I dont love every knife they made,of course,but i like even the fact they made knives i dont want.Otherwise i would live in a house made from knives...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i spoke to sal & eric for a few minutes at this past shot in january. both are the real deal. you folks who know them or have met them in the past know this already. eric takes this to another level. get him going on spyderco knives past and present and you can see the flame ignite in his eyes. he comes off to me as a man who lives for and loves what he's doing. eric made me want to buy 2 of everything he got me so wound up with that passion and excitement he has. and i'll tell you, the rest of shot is booth after booth of polished salesmen/women repeating copy written by their sales department. you only get respect if you're a name shooter or in the industry. spyderco booth, everyone welcome, everyone equal. a little oasis in that madhouse they call shot show.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have had this phrase "shiny footprints" rattling through my head the past few days ever since I stumbled across this thread. This is such a fine idea, not just for this forum, but for all of life. I hope when the day comes and I am gone from this world people think, "Ol' Tom, he was a great guy" and not "Sure am glad that no-good $%#@! ain't around any longer". I don't know what the deal was that started this thread and don't particularly care, but I am glad to hang around here and haven't experienced any hostility (or seen much). Of course the day ain't over yet. :-)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Just ran across this story while looking up information on something or other ....

The biggest reason I'm so loyal to spyderco is way back in 2003, in the middle of a s**t hole of a country, one of the guys in our platoon sent a hand written letter to spyderco. I can't remember why but I know he did. Spyderco mailed a box of spyderco natives to us. the knives were engraved "OIF" "We pray for your safe return." Since then, I've been a loyal customer.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom,

Thanx much for the kind words and for posting. And thanx for your service.

Spyderco has shipped Natives to the Middle East every month since 2003, and we are still doing so. They are still engraved, though the mission name has changed. The color of the knife is dedicated to troops in the Middle East. They are not for sale to the general public.

sal