Companion for Yojimbo 2 or PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fivesense

Companion for Yojimbo 2 or PM2

Post by fivesense »

I'm looking for a smaller companion blade to my Yojimbo 2 or PM2. The Dragonfly 2 seems to fit some of the criteria.

Can you please share your thoughts on VG-10 vs. ZDP-189? Also, how does the diminutive Dragonfly 2 compare to say, the Mini Griptilian? I find some Benchmade knives to be (feel) at least 20% overpriced but the Mini Grip at least feels well made.

What other Spyderco suggestions do you have?
SolidState

Re: Companion for Yojimbo 2 or PM2

Post by SolidState »

The Urban is massively underrated, and has enough force holding it open to make it a strong contender in the category you're looking at. It's one of my favorites. You may have hit just the right time to pick up a Jess Horn, which is another excellent smaller spyder.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Do you mean the Baby Horn Gray G-10? I'd never heard of it but just looked it up at your suggestion.

I'll have to research the N690Co steel on the Urban.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't suggest the new Hawkbill DFly in SE H1. Coming soon apparently. ZDP DFly is very nice though, and I think well worth the cost of the upgrade from vg-10 IMHO, if you don't want to wait for the new one that is :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't suggest the new Hawkbill DFly in SE H1. Coming soon apparently. ZDP DFly is very nice though, and I think well worth the cost of the upgrade from vg-10 IMHO, if you don't want to wait for the new one that is :D
I read about the lower corrosion resistance of the ZDP-189. What are the real world opinions? I take care of my knives and I'm learning "sharpening patience" on my Blurple PM2. So you say the ZDP is worth the upgrade?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think so. You're giving up a little corrosion resistance but, my buddy absolutely abuses his, never cleans it, uses it on food, what ever... Still going strong after a year and a half. I think ZDP is easier to sharpen than s110v. Stays sharp a good long while, has very high initial sharpness. One of the first knives I got sharp enough to split a hair lengthwise.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

fivesense wrote:Do you mean the Baby Horn Gray G-10?
Yes, I do.

Also, the ZDP isn't terribly stain-ey. It's not as stainless as VG-10, but it's not super stain-prone either. I generally polish my edges on ZDP to a couple thousand grit, and they hold really nicely for a really long time. When it fails, it tends to chip instead of roll though.

FWIW, my companion will probably be the hawkbill dragonfly now that I see it's coming out. It is hard to beat a serrated companion for a plain edge main edge. The hawkbill is just icing on the cake.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Mini-grip is a nice knife but I'll be selling mine simply because I like my Spyderco options better. DF2 is one of my favorites...
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Thank you for the comments.

I'm returning the Benchmades. Nice knives, just not in the league with Spyderco in my opinion.

Dragonfly 2 is definitely on my radar- I like trying new-to-me steel so the ZDP is exciting.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ZDP-189 can patina and stain but it's not a rust magnet. It holds a razor edge for awhile. Just keep it touched up before it gets too dull and you should be alright.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZDP is one of the worst stainless steels as far as corrosion resistance goes but it's still significantly more resistant than the most resistant non stainless. It only takes minimal care to keep it from rusting, like not putting it away wet. I've had the ZDP Ladybug on my keys for years and I've only ever had minor surface rust spots that polish off with ease.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Personally I like to carry a traditional slipjoint,(usually GEC) along with my modern locking folder,(usually my Cruwear PM2). But a Dragonfly is certainly a great knife. My ZDP189 stays clipped to my backpack, has gotten soaking wet, used on fruit and not cleaned for hours and not a hint of corrosion. I've not used it for too many tougher jobs but found both it and my Caly 3.5 in zdp to hold a great edge and not be prone to chipping like my 110 Native is. Both my zdp's were the sharpest out of box of any knives I own. The Dragonfly definitely feels solid and inspires confidence in use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

The chipping of S110V has me considering other steels. I've been frustrated with chipping and rolling on my Blurple after only light cutting tasks. That's said, other folks here and in the forums mentioned that is probably due to the factory edge (I've only had the knife a month or so) and once I've sharpened through the top layer (I know my verbiage is probably inaccurate) the edge should hold better. But S110V might still be more prone to chipping than other steels.

How much of this "chippiness" speaks more to the OCD in us knife-folk rather than it being a truly a real world problem? I admit I like to touch up and maintain my knives at the end of the day. But I want the option of not having to after only minimal use.

The other brilliant conclusion I should make each day is that I've always got a SAK on my person, so I have both the blades and tools that should guarantee I never have to use my Spydercos for anything other than slicing. In reality, there's my companion to Yojimbo 2 and PM2 right there. And since the SAK is usually in a belt pouch, I can carry the Y2 and PM2 at the same time anyway.

So it's really just about buying another Spyderco. Dang. :rolleyes: And learning new steel! :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You should really try to sharpen the S110V up, get down to the good steel. I reprofiled my blurple pm2 when I got it (it took forever) but when I was done, S110V seems as wear resistant as anything I have including MAXAMET. No chips or rolling. I don't usually cut anything harder than plastic, but i go through a lot of cardboard and plastic, S110V takes it like a champ.

Also, there's never really a bad time to buy another knife or try a new steel :D Who needs a reason?

Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I want a Blue/Purple S110v PM2 when I can afford it. Although I'd also like something like the new Sprint as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

fivesense wrote:The chipping of S110V has me considering other steels. I've been frustrated with chipping and rolling on my Blurple after only light cutting tasks. That's said, other folks here and in the forums mentioned that is probably due to the factory edge (I've only had the knife a month or so) and once I've sharpened through the top layer (I know my verbiage is probably inaccurate) the edge should hold better. But S110V might still be more prone to chipping than other steels.

How much of this "chippiness" speaks more to the OCD in us knife-folk rather than it being a truly a real world problem? I admit I like to touch up and maintain my knives at the end of the day. But I want the option of not having to after only minimal use.

The other brilliant conclusion I should make each day is that I've always got a SAK on my person, so I have both the blades and tools that should guarantee I never have to use my Spydercos for anything other than slicing. In reality, there's my companion to Yojimbo 2 and PM2 right there. And since the SAK is usually in a belt pouch, I can carry the Y2 and PM2 at the same time anyway.

So it's really just about buying another Spyderco. Dang. :rolleyes: And learning new steel! :D
I'm one who always advises people to reprofile a new knife. I do it just because I'm OCD about my edges and I want it sharpened my way, but there is some truth in a half sharpened edge having better edge retention than a belt ground edge. If a thorough reprofiling isn't done it will take a few good sharpenings before you see what the steel is really made of. I've dealt with this initial chipping with S90V/110V and 20CP (essentially the same as S90V) and all of them have improved after reprofiling.

Chipping may also just be a fact of life depended on how you use your knife. Jim Ankerson did some interesting testing on different steels where he intentionally dinged them on a staple (if I remember correctly) and the results were basically that any steel is going to chip when hit on certain materials and S110V wasn't any worse than other steels that don't get labeled as "chip prone". It's definitely true that these types of steel are more likely to chip than others but in real world use I haven't had any issues with it chipping and my EDC Military is reground to .010 behind the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David