New Models Dropped: Meerkat, Baby Jess Horn, Manix Composite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Models Dropped: Meerkat, Baby Jess Horn, Manix Composite

Post by dplafoll »

As always, thanks to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for letting me photograph and fondle these knives.

Note: Just my luck these drop now; I ordered a phone lens kit earlier this week and it's not in yet, so no macro lens shots. I should have some better close-up pics next time.

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1mU3X2

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Meerkat HAP40 Sprint:
Well I really expected the Caly 3 to be out before this one so that I could think about grabbing it immediately instead of waiting, but I'll survive. I was interested in this for several reason as soon as I saw it in the '17 product guide: HAP40 steel, long-discontinued model available again, interesting lock, HAP40 steel, good size, cool look, HAP40 steel... I first handled it at Blade, and nothing's changed from my opinion then. The handle ergos are not as good as the Dragonfly, but still excellent. I like the lock, I like the little blade in terms of size and shape, I like the color and texture of the handle. I also like the logos and the name on the handle, and the lock is fairly easy to work with one hand. The only (very small) knock for me is that it's tip-down-only, but on a knife this small it may not matter as much. And the clip is as deep-carry as it gets. Very cool little knife.
This is a definite buy for me... but after the Caly.

Baby Jess Horn Sprint
My feelings on this one are mixed. It's nice in the hand, I like the look of it, it's very light and slender, the blade is nice and has a sharpening notch; however, it's difficult to open one-handed due to a stiff action and that the SpyderHole feels too far away from the pivot. To close, the lockbar is very stiff as well, and it seems to be closer to the pivot than normal, so it's hard to close one-handed as well. F&F seem good, which may be a mild concern with the Moki maker.
I think this is a pass for me. I think I'd rather have a Chaparral, Lil' Nilakka, or Firefly for a small gent's folder. But, conversely, I do see the appeal of this design as well. I think I'd probably have liked the full-size version of this.

Manix 2 Composite Sprint
This thing is really, really nice. And really, really expensive. :p
Since it's a Manix I won't go into the ergos and all that. The build quality on this is really excellent; the CF handles look and feel great, the action is fantastic out of the box, and the blade is really nice. It's lighter than you would think with the full liners due to the CF scales; it's a great combination of strength and light weight.
This is a pass for me based solely on price, and because I am probably going to get the Manix BL as my first Manix. But I'd have no problems buying this if I had the funds.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
WebHead

Re: New Models Dropped: Meerkat, Baby Jess Horn, Manix Composite

Post by WebHead »

TY for posting these.

Was able to snag a numbered HAP40 Mkat; but didn't know about the Baby JH Sprint - love its as well and will pursue.

Thanks,
Michel
Last edited by WebHead on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Oh yeah! Meerkat coming to a mailbox near me soon :D

The Horn really is interesting, but I think I'm going to stick to my guns and get the Caly 3, which will round out my scheduled purchases for 2017.

Wish me luck ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm with you on the manix Patrick, a little rich for my blood but the other 2 are inbound, pretty excited about both but especially the Meerkat, this will be my first and dieing to check that lock out.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Baby Horn ordered today. Passing on the Meerkat. I know it would hold its value, it's just to me, that short chubby blade looks too short and chubby :) Gonna wait for the Caly sprint.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Yeah the Caly is the big deal for me this year. These are nice buuuuuut...

I think the Caly might set a record for selling out. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Anyone have a lead on who has Meerkat in stock? :)
(Sent from iPod)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

AlwaysTomboy wrote:Anyone have a lead on who has Meerkat in stock? :)
I ordered mine from Blade Ops, not sure if they still have any but worth a check.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bouhunter wrote:Passing on the Meerkat. I know it would hold its value, it's just to me, that short chubby blade looks too short and chubby :) Gonna wait for the Caly sprint.
This. Handle really thick for a Lil guy too.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

farnorthdan wrote:
I ordered mine from Blade Ops, not sure if they still have any but worth a check.
Out of stock. Thanks for the reply, though. 'Preciate it. I'll keep trying the usual suspects. :)
(Sent from iPod)
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Did you swim out of Mark's? I saw a picture of some people fishing in Lake 31.
WebHead

Post by WebHead »

Thanks to there OP again on calling out the Baby JH.
Last edited by WebHead on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WebHead

Post by WebHead »

farnorthdan wrote:

Blade Ops is now out; just ordered another from SMKW...
Squlo

Post by Squlo »

Looks like the Meerkat is in stock at Oso Grande Knives.
Nate

Post by Nate »

dplafoll wrote: Manix 2 Composite Sprint
Since it's a Manix I won't go into the ergos and all that. The build quality on this is really excellent; the CF handles look and feel great, the action is fantastic out of the box, and the blade is really nice. It's lighter than you would think with the full liners due to the CF scales; it's a great combination of strength and light weight.
This is a pass for me based solely on price, and because I am probably going to get the Manix BL as my first Manix. But I'd have no problems buying this if I had the funds.

Is this for real? :confused:

I don't understand that choice at this price point. IIRC, the composite Para2 still had skeletonized liners, but I sold mine so I can't double check.

Do other solid CF sprints have solid liners? I was considering this one despite the cost b/c I miss having some peel-ply CF in my collection, but that's a real head-scratcher to me. I'm curious to know the actual weight to compare against my other Manix2 sprints.
:spyder:
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Nate wrote:
dplafoll wrote: Manix 2 Composite Sprint

Is this for real? :confused:

I don't understand that choice at this price point. IIRC, the composite Para2 still had skeletonized liners, but I sold mine so I can't double check.

Do other solid CF sprints have solid liners? I was considering this one despite the cost b/c I miss having some peel-ply CF in my collection, but that's a real head-scratcher to me. I'm curious to know the actual weight to compare against my other Manix2 sprints.
I apologize, I wasn't being clear with that statement. The liners are definitely skeletonized pretty heavily, seen here:

My intent was to compare this with the G-10 model that also has full-sized (but skeletonized) liners; this knife feels measurably lighter in the hand. I would really love to have seen them do this knife in the same fashion as the Manix Backlock and go liner-less, but unless they wanted to do this as a Backlock variant they'd have to design a third handle ( 1: CBBL/liners, 2: BL/no liners, 3: CBBL/no liners).

Sorry for the confusion. :D
Patrick LaFollette
carrot

Post by carrot »

Well, thanks for the heads up. Totally unplanned I bought a Meerkat on a whim because it was one of those earlier models that I totally missed out on the first time around (and second, and third, etc, once you count sprints).
Nate

Post by Nate »

dplafoll wrote: I apologize, I wasn't being clear with that statement. The liners are definitely skeletonized pretty heavily, seen here:

My intent was to compare this with the G-10 model that also has full-sized (but skeletonized) liners; this knife feels measurably lighter in the hand. I would really love to have seen them do this knife in the same fashion as the Manix Backlock and go liner-less, but unless they wanted to do this as a Backlock variant they'd have to design a third handle ( 1: CBBL/liners, 2: BL/no liners, 3: CBBL/no liners).

Haha, whew, my bad too. :o

Thanks for the clarification. Also, it almost goes without saying, but thanks for these threads. It's awesome to get these "real" pics of the new blades right when they drop.

Now back to deciding how "must have" the peel-ply CF is when I already have two M2 sprints lol.
:spyder:
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I kept my eye on the Manix Sprint's availability at a few retailers. Yesterday it was in stock at multiple dealers, today it's sold out at many of them. This spurned me into ordering one from KW; now I have to somehow afford the Native 5 Fluted CF with S90V next month...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Nate wrote:
dplafoll wrote: I apologize, I wasn't being clear with that statement. The liners are definitely skeletonized pretty heavily, seen here:

Haha, whew, my bad too. :o

Thanks for the clarification. Also, it almost goes without saying, but thanks for these threads. It's awesome to get these "real" pics of the new blades right when they drop.

Now back to deciding how "must have" the peel-ply CF is when I already have two M2 sprints lol.

Lol that's always the question isn't it? Do I "need" this one or that one? I don't have any full carbon fiber-handled Spyderco knives yet (just two w/ the G10 laminate, and I'm not complaining) so that's another thing I like about this one. But man that price...

You're quite welcome! I enjoy doing them and providing a service to my fellow addicts enthusiasts. :D
Patrick LaFollette