Mexico knife laws

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
nikolasga20

Mexico knife laws

Post by nikolasga20 »

Anyone ever traveled to Mexico with let's say delica without problem ?
J32A2

Re: Mexico knife laws

Post by J32A2 »

Had to laugh at the title.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I do not recommend it knife friend.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds like an instant jailable offense
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For a Mexican national it probably woudn't be a bad thing>> but for an American tourist I personally wouldn't chance it. I've heard that Mexican jails are truly a vivid sample of **** itself :eek: I've heard some really terrible stories about Americans that end up in Mexican jails and some of them end up in death :(

With the trouble they are currently having with the Mexican drug cartels I wouldn't even travel there even if they gave me a vacation for free. Be very careful is all I got to say.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess it depends on where you are in Mexico. I don't know what the knife laws are there so this is NOT legal advice but I have brought a knife to Mexico without issues. Last time was 8 days in Playa Del Carmen and I carried a Buck 110 in my front pocket all week long.

That is a tourist area and my experience in multiple countries is that tourists that stay in tourist areas seldom get bothered by the police unless they are really acting crazy. Cops bothering tourists is bad for tourism so in areas where tourism is the main source of income they leave you alone for the most part.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I live on the border and visit my Mexican friends on a regular basis. I have never had any issues by anyone at any time having any of my knives with me. I carry the same knives in the same way that I do north of the border. But no matter where I happen to be I carry discretely with consideration for the feelings of those possibly non-knife people around me. When I visit my friends I keep in mind that I am a guest in their country and I blend in with those around me in appearance, dress and what I carry with me. I have never had any issues with whatever knives I choose to carry and I have no expectations of any. Mexico is a wonderful country with many warm and friendly folks who have made me feel like family there.

That is the experience of one who visits regularly and usually has three knives of various description on his person.
Bash Mexico and it's people all you want if you must, while I continue to enjoy my time spent there.
I fully appreciate that others may have other views and experiences that are just as relevant to the subject.
There is certainly no question that our neighbor to the south has some serious internal problems and one would be wise to tread carefully when visiting, but as for violence, corruption, gang warfare, crooked officials, and bad laws concerning knives or anything else, perhaps one really needs to look no further than one's own country ..... :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Been there, done that. Lucky as ****, no problems. That was a long time ago and our company had a local godfather on the payroll to sort out any problems. If you're on your own, I'd suggest leaving the knife at the border and act like a guest.