Sharpmaker, water stones, or both?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hgwxx7

Sharpmaker, water stones, or both?

Post by Hgwxx7 »

So I just put an order in for a Naniwa Chosera 400 grit. Birthday is coming up, so I'll splurge for the 1000 grit then. Also eyeing the Naniwa Aotoshi 2000. I really enjoy the experience of freehanding. Currently have a King Combo, which is fine for initial sharpening but not getting me to hair whittling sharp.

In the meantime, just ran across the crazy sierra deal thread and I'm so tempted to get a Sharpmaker.

My signature has the knives in my collection, a variety of steels. Ones I'm most worried about are the S110V and the ZDP189. Question is, for those with experience, will the Chosera's be enough and should I get the Sharpmaker for the easier to sharpen steels and days I'm feeling lazy?
Stay Golden :spyder:
farnorthdan

Re: Sharpmaker, water stones, or both?

Post by farnorthdan »

I would, I use my SM more than my Edge Pro, mostly because its so much faster to keep my edges touched up on the SM plus I keep it set up on my work bench, doesn't take up much room. Only break out the EP for re-profiling and such.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Naniwa Chosera 400 grit is a lovely stone and about all I use on Scandinavian Grinds.

If you're chasing hair whittling edges .... buy a SM! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Sharpmaker and a strop is what I have and I'm a happy camper!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Happy upcoming birthday!

For the actual edge itself, I'd go with the Sharpmaker.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharpmaker for sure, you will not be disappointed. Once you get the hang of it, it is so incredibly easy to keep all your blades hair whittling sharp!
Josh
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Another vote for getting the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. It's a beautiful stand-alone system. To me, a person needs a sharpening system, and, based on personal perferences and needs, such a system may include a combination of things such as a Sharpmaker and bench stones.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the good wishes Thom. Picked up the sharpmaker with that eBay coupon. So, the new question is diamond rods or no?
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

"Yes" for the Spyderco Triangle Diamond Stones. They're really handy for really dull knives.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Your 400 Chocera already covers that need.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

thombrogan wrote:Your 400 Chocera already covers that need.
Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. It should be tough enough for ZDP189? Also, would an Aotosohi 2000 be enough of a complement or should I go for the 1000 and 3000 to round out the "medium" and "fine" grits?

Thanks in advance!
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Hgwxx7 wrote:Currently have a King Combo, which is fine for initial sharpening but not getting me to hair whittling sharp.

?
It's impossible to get a blade hair-shaving sharp on a King unless you are using extremely hard steel like ZDP-189, and even then it's a struggle. This is due to the massive slurry it generates, because the stone is so soft/friable it basically crumbles during a pass. I wouldn't say it is fine for initial sharpening and certainly not for "hair whittling."

I *think* the Naniwa is less friable than the King, and it costs considerably more, so you should expect to get a very good stone. Cliff Stamp is deeply knowledgeable about waterstones, you should seek him out.

but either Naniwa or King, I'd say to use the sharpmaker ceramic *and* the waterstones. Use the King first, condition it with an arkansas stone or similarly fine grit abrasive, so that you get a big slurry, and then allow that slurry to purify the edge by removing all the burr. Then oil up your ceramics and proceed as normal. How much slurry you want depends on what kind of steel you're sharpening or how fast you want to go, obviously.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Hgwxx7 wrote:It should be tough enough for ZDP189? Also, would an Aotosohi 2000 be enough of a complement or should I go for the 1000 and 3000 to round out the "medium" and "fine" grits?

Thanks in advance!
The Chocera works great with ZDP-189 and so does the Sharpmaker. No longer have one, so I can't comment on S110V.

I probably use the Aotoishi wrong, but it's a slowpoke for me. And the 1,000 grit Chosera loads up and slows too early/easy for me. Unless you're sharpening single-beveled blades, the 400 grit Chocera should form a clean enough edge bevel to give a microbevel with the Sharpmaker and it'd work for that, too, but not look as pretty (well, you can make large, polished bevels with Sharpmaker hones, too, but you'll go through scouring powder cleaning the hones like crazy).
outdoorfanatic1

Post by outdoorfanatic1 »

I agree with most posts. I've always enjoyed doing things the "old-fashioned" way, including hand sharpening knives, but this tool is just so cool and easy and efficient. Super nice, you won't regret it.
Last edited by outdoorfanatic1 on Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:I would, I use my SM more than my Edge Pro, mostly because its so much faster to keep my edges touched up on the SM plus I keep it set up on my work bench, doesn't take up much room. Only break out the EP for re-profiling and such.
Same. Personally I think the Sharpmaker is worth the money if all you ever use it for is micro bevels and daily touch ups. My only regret is not buying one years ago.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Sharpmaker came in yesterday, gonna give it a try today! Thanks for all the responses. Now to go hunt down that microbevel thread.
qazy

Post by qazy »

Benchstones all the way. You dont need anything else.
Also, king has many stones. But I assume king Delux series was discussed above.
You can defenetlly create an nice and sharp edge on king 1000 or 1200 (given that you already have the bevels set). For the money they are great choice if you do not need SnG.