Spydie #14 will be a mule...

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
archangel

Spydie #14 will be a mule...

Post by archangel »

So I just placed the order for my 14th spydie. It will be a mule. Not the newest LC200N, but MT23 with 20CV steel. Why this one? First of all, LC200N will be featured in the Salt series, and the Caribbean is a no-brainer must-have. :) Then why 20CV? Because this mule is a steal! Have you checked what other knives with this steel cost? Am I the only one who thinks that not having this mule in their collection is kind of crazy? Or am I missing something??

Who owns MT23 or any other 20CV knife? What are your thoughts?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Skidoosh

Re: Spydie #14 will be a mule...

Post by Skidoosh »

Mules are great and I think 20CV is a solid all around steel, you should enjoy it
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

archangel wrote:So I just placed the order for my 14th spydie. It will be a mule..... MT23 with 20CV steel. Why this one? ... Am I the only one who thinks that not having this mule in their collection is kind of crazy?
"Crazy" and "Spyderco collector" never belong together.

Oh. Wait. * Always*, not never. Never mind.

I got two of them four months ago, used one for two weeks and then sent it off to a friend in the Pacific Northwest for daily T and E of ranch and outdoor use. Good thing I bought two; that one is not coming back, and he has plenty of others from which to choose and use.
Sal's Mule in CPM 20CV lives up to the steel's reputation (at a super-brgain price!); you're in for a treat.

Here's a pic from four months ago:

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I was close to getting this mule too because it looks like a great deal. For a fixed blade, I was hoping for a new non stainless steel mule to try out. I am dipping my toes into non stainless at the moment.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks nicked.onaut and others.

No other happy users of 20CV? Come on, let us know all the good stuff! Or the bad, I'm a big boy. :) I'm still convident I made a great catch.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

This too is next on my list. Not sure what I'm waiting on to pull the trigger...maybe some more pics will push me over the edge

Update: Placed my mule order today. Can't wait for it to arrive, I'll post some pics when it does. Guess all I needed was this post to inspire me, and you bunch of like-minded enablers. :D Stay golden.
Stay Golden :spyder:
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

archangel wrote:Thanks nicked.onaut and others.

No other happy users of 20CV? Come on, let us know all the good stuff! Or the bad, I'm a big boy. :) I'm still confident I made a great catch.
I love My 20CV Mule. It was gifted to me by a member of this forum actually. (Thanks SFNative)!! So far this steel has prepped food, cleaned a few catfish, helped out at a few bbq's, cut fishing line, bait, and my finger. no corrosion, and the edge is still wicked sharp. I have only touched up the edge once since having it.

You will really enjoy it. I know I am.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
archangel

Post by archangel »

To all other mule owner: Did your mules come out of the box razor sharp? I must say that basically all :spyder: folders I own came sharper than the mule, most of them much! Only my Szabo folder came with comparably low sharpness, but the Szabo is not much of a slicer anyway, so there it's no biggie. I'm a bit irritated, was expecting something else on a mule...
Michael
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I bought two of the 20cv mules. The edges on each weren't very sharp, and the angle a little too obtuse, but the grind was even on both sides and it wasn't much work to reprofile them on a SIC stone and apply a 15dps microbevel.

What stands out in the 20cv mule besides the awesome steel is the perfect and thin grind. Both of mine were 0.015 BTE with a perfect distil grind to the tip. I have mules in seven other steels and the grind on the 20cv is better than all.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for the feedback. Your other mules came out of their boxes sharper?

Guess I'll need to touch the edge up...
Michael