Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by elena86 »

twinboysdad wrote:Nutnfancy? Never heard of her
She is a steel guru :p We should not question her conclusions :D

Marius
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Nutnfancy is spreading the same thing they just spread over the fields behind my house.

Looking at the pic he posted, it actually looks more like pitting than straight up rust. That leads me to believe he either got a defective Salt, a knockoff, or he exposed it to something particularly nasty.

Either way, I don't care. I'm not giving him a click.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

He has a good show, and while I do not agree with him all the time, sometimes I do agree. I don't hate his show, nor do I love it. It is what it is. Any comments about H1 are probably simple error based on misunderstanding of the steel and the events surrounding the "rusts" appearance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

I've been beating on a Salt H1 for a couple years including sailing, paddle boarding, fishing, hiking and cycling. It's spend days in my PFD around a sea environment. No rust. I don't baby it at all and the only care I give it is a fresh water rinse and a little pivot oil. I'm not a Nutnfancy fan but I didn't hate is reviews either. I think he's being gimmicky.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Ah well, it's the same person that was stating Spyderco's F&F from Golden was way better than on the "cheaply made" Taiwan models :o
I've taught myself to take it anything coming from him with a grain of salt.
I'm sure he's a nice guy and he just wants to inform his followers, but jumping to conclusions based on assumptions isn't the best thing to do when you're dealing with thousands of followers and a company's reputation.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

elena86 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Nutnfancy? Never heard of her
She is a steel guru :p We should not question her conclusions :D

Marius

She's a former Air Force pilot as well.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've tried watching his videos in the past. When I get 10-15 minutes in, and you still haven't started talking about the subject of the review, I'm going to figure that you pretty much just like the sound of your own voice.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The only "rust" I've seen is pictures of as you mentioned, steel dust transfer (or whatever). I've also seen some algae staining that someone thought might have been rust. Someone put it through an aquarium that was so hyper-salinated that it was ruining the tank itself, the Salt knife was unscathed.

The only example of "corrosion" that I have seen was someone who left a blade on a wet chlorine block. Basically melted it. I think it was a forum member here from many years back.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Surfingringo wrote:
VashHash wrote:There was a member who forced corrosion by placing a wet chlorine tablet on his knife. That's the only H1 corrosion I've seen so far.
I remember that. Did it actually oxidize and form red rust or did it just eat the steel?
I can remember the pictures- no, it wasn't orange/red rust that formed....it was horrible greyish scabs of oxidation.

Imagine really bad welding spatter or furnace scale- that matt-grey nastiness that showed it had pretty much just eaten the steel.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

I responded to that post, provided some more info on H1 and hopefully can educate on some of the misconceptions people are writing, in a respectful way of course (shiny footprints, right?)
:spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

This is hardly the first time someone has mistakenly claimed they rusted their H1 only to find out it is actually something else. He just didn't read enough before jumping to that conclusion. :)

But H1 does contain iron (a lot, actually!), and therefore there is of course the possibility for it to rust. I suspect it would involve some level of heat and/or some industrial chemical, but I'm sure there is a way to break iron free and combine it with oxygen. I just don't think any knife is likely to ever be in those conditions.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:He has a good show, and while I do not agree with him all the time, sometimes I do agree. I don't hate his show, nor do I love it. It is what it is. Any comments about H1 are probably simple error based on misunderstanding of the steel and the events surrounding the "rusts" appearance.

Yep, pretty much how I see his channel. Some of his videos I couldn't agree more with, some sound ridiculous. I do suspect a lot of these weird ones are click bait though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

dirt, soil, sand, water, pesticides, paint, coffee, yogurt, NPK fertilizers, vermiculite...and not a single dot of rust

in any of them

H1 cannot rust ;)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It can get contamination rust, and in the ocean it can get a red algea that looks a whole lot like rust but I've never seen any confirmed corrosion of the actual steel itself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

My nephew worked with pool chemicals for a summer. The first day of opening bags of chemicals rusted his S30V Native. Then he got something in H1 (don't recall the model) and didn't have a spot of rust the rest of the summer. And pool chemicals are strong oxidizers often with chlorine or bromine. If it will stand up to that unscathed it will not rust in anything resembling normal use.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

If the anecdotal chicken was made of H1 it could come home to roost, not rust. If we accepted that Nutnfancys claims are false we could lay it to rest, not rust. And if we gesticulated demonstratively in response to youtube monetizers we would give a flick of the wrist, not rust.
PS Nutnfancy evolved into Nick Shabazz. Nutnfancy isnt the real nutnfancy and neither was the one before him. The real Nutnfancy has been retired fifteen years and living like a king in Patagonia.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Dread pirate Roberts?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Perhaps Nutnfancy should have wiped the knife with an oil rag and then taken the picture? I actually take care of my knives. If rust forms on a knife, when possible it's cleaned the same day. A little maintenance goes a long way. All of my Salt models have been exposed to saltwater....none have ever had rust. Can't say the same for other Spydies.
Last edited by Tdog on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My theory is that it is the dye color of the tool belt that came out and onto the blade after he subjected both to the experiment.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I can personally attest to the rust and corrosion resistance of H1 steel, in this case the Spyderco Pacific Salt.

There is a thread on the forum where I did a long drawn out test in which I immersed the Pacific Salt into pure salt water for a long time and infact salt crystals precipitated and grew all over the handle and yet not a single spot of actual rust formed on the blade steel. After some rinsing and scrubbing of the salt, the knife to this moment looks brand new and rust free.