Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by Doc Dan »

Now I have to buy a Salt 2. When will they become available?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Any word on an all black Salt 2?
-Nick :bug-red
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Can't wait to see several of these in real life, especially the Q Ball, D'Allara, and Police 3. Many thanks, Wouter, as well as Sal, Eric, and all the staff staff who make these things possible.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thank you Wouter, you have done an excellent job for us forum members again!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
brj

Post by brj »

Joris Mo wrote:I just like the slim handle and also quite like the old school Volcano grips so I'll have to try and get some more of them before they run out.
^this
Jazz wrote:How about some red FRN handles on the multi blades?
^and this
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

sal wrote:
Dodge wrote:Is the screwdriver tip looking tool a glass breaker?
No, it's steel. In fact, in my opinion, glass breakers need to be carbide especially of you are breaking tempered or safety glass.

sal
I can see a three blade rescue being standard kit for my truck. Especially if it had a glass breaker. Not something I would carry per se, but would love to have available. On my commute just yesterday a large tree fell across the highway and into the front of a van. Van also caught on fire. Looks like no one got hurt and had I been a few minutes earlier I would have been a first responder.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for the kind words guys, it was quite a collection this year. It was a lot of fun to do. My absolute favorites from the meet are the One-Eyed Jack, Lil' Temp 3, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Lil' Lum in blue nishijin and Chinook 4.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

THANK YOU Wouter.... I always look forward to your super pics.. Now.. Out to the highways to collect cans I go!!! THANKS.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

sal wrote:
Dodge wrote:Is the screwdriver tip looking tool a glass breaker?
No, it's steel. In fact, in my opinion, glass breakers need to be carbide especially of you are breaking tempered or safety glass.

sal
Sal, any chance this concept would evolve to have a glass breaker, maybe one with a replaceable carbide lathe tip?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dodge,

Probably not. I'm really fussy with regards to glass breakers, primarily because they really must work well if one is in an emergency state. When we made the glass breaker for the Assist model, I personally broke many windows to refine the tool. We changed the material and shape of the tip a number of times before I was satisfied that it would be fail-safe. I kept going back to the wrecking yard and broke all types of windows on autos. It's just my opinion, but I question the performance of steel glass breakers and parts converted from something else. The glass breaker on the Assist model retracts into the handle so it doesn't scrape you hand when exposed, it's shaped to be the best performer in the tip radius and it is replaceable as carbide can break when hitting a lot of tempered glass.

sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

sal wrote:Hi Dodge,

Probably not. I'm really fussy with regards to glass breakers, primarily because they really must work well if one is in an emergency state. When we made the glass breaker for the Assist model, I personally broke many windows to refine the tool. We changed the material and shape of the tip a number of times before I was satisfied that it would be fail-safe. I kept going back to the wrecking yard and broke all types of windows on autos. It's just my opinion, but I question the performance of steel glass breakers and parts converted from something else. The glass breaker on the Assist model retracts into the handle so it doesn't scrape you hand when exposed, it's shaped to be the best performer in the tip radius and it is replaceable as carbide can break when hitting a lot of tempered glass.

sal
Sal,

I used the assist while taking a Fire Fighter course years ago and used the tool to spider then break 2 car front windshields while training in a junk yard. I thought it performed fairly well, I did need to hit a few different corners for a better result. But, after the 2nd windshield the glass breaker would still retract, but it was very loose and would rattle around. That was the last time I used it as I did not become a firefighter. That is my very limited real world experience in case that is useful to you.

Thanks
araneae

Post by araneae »

Salt 2 is a must have! Thanks for all the great pics!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those 3 bladed folders are interesting. Reminds me of my Victorinox One handed Trekker to a degree.
stblack

Post by stblack »

If the Three Blade Standard had a saw blade for cutting branches and such it would be perfect for my needs. (hint-hint-nudge-wink Spyderco). I want a Dyad 3 blade with knife, saw and opener. Maybe one day.....
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Mushroom wrote:Any word on an all black Salt 2?
I hope they're making it on the 2 colors (yellow and black) and the 2 blade styles as well.
I'm huge fan of the Delica, I'll be needing these as well :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

stblack wrote:If the Three Blade Standard had a saw blade for cutting branches and such it would be perfect for my needs. (hint-hint-nudge-wink Spyderco). I want a Dyad 3 blade with knife, saw and opener. Maybe one day.....
Welcome to the forum.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
edcninja

Post by edcninja »

Serges stuff is the best.

I recently picked up one of the Roc's and tried to modify it up to look like his original. Super cool knife.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Paul Alexander model really caught my eye.
sal

Post by sal »

stblack wrote:If the Three Blade Standard had a saw blade for cutting branches and such it would be perfect for my needs. (hint-hint-nudge-wink Spyderco). I want a Dyad 3 blade with knife, saw and opener. Maybe one day.....
Hi Stblack,

Welcome to our forum.

Saws have questions......a 3" wood saw doesn't cut much, a 3" hacksaw probably has more function overall......but most customers think of a wood saw when they think "saw"........so what to do?

sal
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I like some of the saws on multitools that accept saw bits, makes it more functional in the long run for me- either wood or metal