how to oil knife, without

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

how to oil knife, without

Post by ero2 »

getting oil all over the place? I got my militec1 sample today, and washed my knife, dried it with a blow dryer, heated it up again, tried to get drop on pivot with the tube but it seemed to not fit, so I just dropped a little in and moved the blade around, worked it in, heated it up again, worked in more, my knife opens great now but I am still finding oil coming out of the pivot and a little on the blade. Any secret oiling tricks?
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Just use RemOil.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

hold knife edge up, single drop on each side of the blade(into pivot/washers), work it in

I work it for about 5min and wipe off the excess
JD Spydo

Micro Oiler

Post by JD Spydo »

:spyder: :rolleyes: Check out the "Garrett Wade" company ( http://www.garrettwade.com). They have what they call a Micro-oiler. It has a very small, needle like stem which would make it very easy to oil about anything. I have ordered one myself but not gotten it yet. Everything I have got from them is nice. :spyder: :)
captain hook

Post by captain hook »

I did the same thing to oil my hawk, and I found that the g-10 contacts the blade mostly at the pivot, but the futher out you go from the pivot, there is more space between the handle and the blade. After oiling, I take a piece of regular paper and slide it in the space between the handle and the blade to absorb the excess oil. Because excess oil attracts lint and "micro-grit" I also suggest first using a plastic friendly spray degreaser to dissolve any accumulated micro-grit in this space. Although, In the back of my mind I worry that degreasing or oiling maybe harmful because of some reason like maybe spyderco engineered the knife to be prelubed at the factory with a special lube that shouldn't be removed or something like that. But maybe I'm just paranoid, because I got decent results, or maybe I'm just lucky. I'm not an expert.
Aaaarrr....me matie
RLR

Post by RLR »

Here's a wacky one: take the knife apart (if you can, if that's an option, if you don't mind warranty issues); dry everything from scales to blade to washers and screws; make sure it's really dry; reassemble. Now for the hard part - leave it the **** alone! That's right. I've found that properly cleaned and adjusted knives do better UNlubed. But that's just me. For un-take-apart-able ones (my beater Endura, Calypso Jr, etc.) I scrub them under a stream of hot water with soap and a toothbrush. Compressed air the water out and, you guessed it - Leave the **** Alone! Keep in mind that I like to keep them clean, and do it more often than necessary.

Enjoy
zeus

Post by zeus »

ero2 wrote:getting oil all over the place? ...
Any secret oiling tricks?

Get yourself an old glass hypodermic syringe (any size under 10cc will do) with at least a 25g or smaller needle. Blunt the tip and fill 'er up with your Militec. Now you have your own Micro-oiler. (If you use a plastic syringe, the rubber plunger tip will break down from the lube.)

I have also found that some copper never-seize works pretty well on the synthetic washers if you want to disassemble the knife. (I saw this on Emerson's folders at the Blade West show)