Paramilitary 2 left-handed version

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

Re: Paramilitary 2 left-handed version

Post by MattM68 »

For all of us on the Spyderco forum, S30V and black G-10 isn't very exciting or new, but for the average user who just wants a knife to cut things, it's probably a good thing. Your average user just wants something that'll work, and comes at a lower price. Like I said earlier, if the lefty version is a huge success, maybe you'll see new versions come out. But for now, the standard left handed version hasn't even been released, so let's just wait and see how they sell.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

MattM68 wrote:For all of us on the Spyderco forum, S30V and black G-10 isn't very exciting or new, but for the average user who just wants a knife to cut things, it's probably a good thing. Your average user just wants something that'll work, and comes at a lower price. Like I said earlier, if the lefty version is a huge success, maybe you'll see new versions come out. But for now, the standard left handed version hasn't even been released, so let's just wait and see how they sell.
The average user pays $60-$70 tops for a knife.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
MattM68 wrote:For all of us on the Spyderco forum, S30V and black G-10 isn't very exciting or new, but for the average user who just wants a knife to cut things, it's probably a good thing. Your average user just wants something that'll work, and comes at a lower price. Like I said earlier, if the lefty version is a huge success, maybe you'll see new versions come out. But for now, the standard left handed version hasn't even been released, so let's just wait and see how they sell.
Yeah... That's why all those plain Jane S30V/black G10 Para2s are just collecting dust on dealer shelves... smh.
Mikael Andersson

mattman wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Yeah... That's why all those plain Jane S30V/black G10 Para2s are just collecting dust on dealer shelves... smh.
Or it could be that the average user doesn't spend $125-$130 on those knives as in a Paramilitary 2 buyer isn't your average knife user.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I've had plenty of family and friends come to me for advice on a good user knife. One of my friends bought a DLC Manix 2 in S30V because I suggested it. He knows nothing about knives, but wanted something quality without spending a crazy amount. Again, wait until the G10/S30V one is released. If it's a hit, then maybe it would be time to respectfully suggest a more "special" version.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Mikael Andersson wrote: Or it could be that the average user doesn't spend $125-$130 on those knives as in a Paramilitary 2 buyer isn't your average knife user.

So you understand the concept?
This is for Spyderco users... Not average users.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Mikael Andersson wrote:They probably were slow sellers because people didn't know how they looked in the dark.
That's a possibility, as well as the fact that they were forum knives and only offered through one specific, lesser-known retailer, so word may have spread slowly.

To be fair, I don't think glow scales are awful or anything, and I may be in the minority in saying I'd take black over the solid moonglow scales. I've just preferred other solid g10 colors and have my glow needs covered with other products.

In the past though, I've actually suggested arctic camo over blue glow g10, which I don't believe has been done before. In theory, this would also work with regular camo over the green moonglow material. To me, either of these would be a bit more subdued/look better in daylight and still look really cool in the dark. I don't know how wide the appeal would be, but it may be another option that would allow Spyderco to try something new without breaking a prior dealer agreement.
:spyder:
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

i would also have to say im not huge on glow scales and prefer the black. i dont think we should be telling experts with 40 years of experience in this industry how they got it wrong before the knife is even released. like i said before im just glad ill get a chance to buy them.
the wait for release window info is killing me, so far im guessing second half of the year. anyone seen anything?
shaztecs_knives on instagram
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Black is better than Moonglow for me. No question. S30V isn't my favourite; however, it is fine. I'm looking forward to this release.
Mikael Andersson

shaztec wrote:i would also have to say im not huge on glow scales and prefer the black. i dont think we should be telling experts with 40 years of experience in this industry how they got it wrong before the knife is even released. like i said before im just glad ill get a chance to buy them.
the wait for release window info is killing me, so far im guessing second half of the year. anyone seen anything?
Why does experts with 40 years of experience still use S30V when S35VN have been available since 2009?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Why does experts with 40 years of experience still use S30V when S35VN have been available since 2009?
Why wouldn't they? Is there a reason not to use S30V?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So, I jumped on the Cruwear PM2 when it came out, just in time to learn about the upcoming lefty version. Problem for me is as much as I want a lefty, I can't see an s30v bumping my Cruwear out of pocket. But I can't see it making sense for Spyderco to make a premium steel version not knowing how well it would actually sell, if it does do well, a sprint run will surely come up down the road. In the meantime my wallet is hoping no Canadian retailers get a serrated lefty as I'm likely to convince myself that I need one, lol! As far as s35vn goes, I prefer s30v. Nothing against s35vn, for me it's actually a touch easier to sharpen and real shiny if I want but I like the slightly toothier edge I seem to get with s30v, and I guess on whatever I seem to be cutting, it holds its edge a little better. And even though 35 is a little easier to do a proper sharpening on, 30 seems to touch up better in between for me.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mikael Andersson

The Mastiff wrote:
Why wouldn't they? Is there a reason not to use S30V?
Because S35VN is the improvement and using S30V is like staying in the past?
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

there is still lots of love for older steels, 440c, d2 and m4 have all been around for years and are still very popular.
Mikael Andersson

shaztec wrote:there is still lots of love for older steels, 440c, d2 and m4 have all been around for years and are still very popular.
Yes those steels have found their niche but using S30V instead of S35VN is a bit like using 440B instead of 440C.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Well ok mate whatever, you don't have to buy one. I'll be getting two.
Mikael Andersson

Because your other hand is also a left hand?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mikael Andersson wrote:In my opinion Spyderco needs to have more knives in ultra premium steels that are not sprint runs or dealer exclusives.
Their entire Japanese signature knife family is available in ZDP-189. The entire signature US-made family is available in S110V, except the brand-new Para 3, which I can safely assume will be available in that steel sometime soon. They're also all going to be produced (not a sprint) in Maxamet, with the Manix already out.

This is a production company, and not a large one. They have to be able to produce knives on a scale and at a price as to make it worthwhile financially. Considering what they have given us so far, I think they're doing a great job in producing knives with very premium steels that aren't sprint runs. Maybe you can convince Carpenter, Crucible, and Bohler to give Spyderco the right deal on your preferred steel so they can make a production knife in that steel so that you can buy a couple.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Because your other hand is also a left hand?
Because I want to support the company for making the knives no one else will make. Why don't you do the same mikael? If you want such incredibly specific knives that you keep going on about here just go and make them and stop asking other people to do it for you mate.
canspyder

Post by canspyder »

Do any of you know the released date of the left-handed version of the Paramilitary 2?
It's just what I need, but every website says Pre-Order.