Rolling/Pipe Tobacco - Advice Please

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wolfgaze

Rolling/Pipe Tobacco - Advice Please

Post by wolfgaze »

I hope it's okay to post about tobacco on the Spyderco forum and in the Off-Topic section... If not, Mods please delete this and I apologize in advance...

I am a very light smoker. About 2-3 roll-your-own cigarettes a day. I recently moved/relocated and I no longer have access to the local Brick & Mortar tobacco shop that I had been sourcing my tobacco from. I was buying approx. 3 1/2 ounces at a time, and that would last me well over a month. This was good quality tobacco stored in large glass jars at the shop and didn't have a brand name associated with it.

Now that I'm living in a new state, I currently have no source for rolling tobacco. I tried to do some online research to find brands that were favorably reviewed. Through doing that I came across a company called OHM and was able to order 2 of their sampler 1 oz. packages ('Natural' and 'Blue' varieties). Well I recently received my order and the tobacco was very dried out and the flavor wasn't all that great. So I'm disappointed in that regard... I live in a remote area and the nearest town with a tobacco shop is like 30 minutes away and when I visited their selection wasn't good at all - so sourcing tobacco locally isn't a good option for me.

So my current issue is two-fold. I am looking for a brand of rolling tobacco that is both premium quality (no additives, preferably organically grown) and can also be ordered in relatively small quantities (3-5 oz at a time). Also, I would say I definitely prefer a lighter, more milder smoke. So does anyone have any good options or recommendations for me? Are there any online dealers who stock their own premium tobacco and will ship out in smaller quantities? I'm not feeling too optimistic about the more inexpensive pre-packaged name brands - so I'd like to avoid going that route if possible. If I can't find a good option/solution I guess it may be best for me to give up smoking altogether.

Thanks in advance...
The Deacon

Re: Rolling/Pipe Tobacco - Advice Please

Post by The Deacon »

Quit smoking over 12 years ago, but rolled my own for quite a few years before that. There use to be a lot of online sources for pipe and RYO cigarette tobacco, but the government seems to have virtually eliminated them. My observation, from having, at least occasionally, rolled pipe tobacco is that it tends to be stronger than tobacco intended for rolling cigarettes. There's also a question of cut. Pipe tobacco comes in a fairly wide variety of cuts, most o them fairly coarse, and only the finer shag cuts are really suited for rolling into cigarettes. You might try finding a source for American Spirt. I found it too mild for my tastes, but I favored stronger tobaccos. All their blends are additive free and the one in the red pouch is "organically grown", so it may be as close to what you're looking for as you're likely to find. No idea where you live, but all the supermarkets I shopped at back in NY carried at least some of their blends, as do the supermarkets I use down here in SC.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I used to roll Three Castles, came in a tin and I'm not sure its still available. Never forget the time I was In a bar in Chicago and was rolling a smoke and the waitress came up to me and said,"You can't do that in here!". Now I'm going to buy it over the counter, the times they are a changing. Just looked it up and you can still get it. Says it's pure Virginia tabacco. It was forty years ago but I remember that it was very smooth.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I quit smoking tabacco about 4 years ago, but did roll my own. Started out with Prince Albert, couldn't find it anymore here so switched to Bugler. Vape now, so nice not stinking like smoke anymore.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."