EuroEdge and Sustain have dropped (Pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

EuroEdge and Sustain have dropped (Pics)

Post by dplafoll »

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskNgESSL

Edit: Thanks as always to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for letting me fondle the merchandise. :D

EuroEdge:
This knife is nowhere near my style, or something I'm really thinking about buying. But, that said, it's a fantastic piece. There are several Spyderco knives that have come out that aren't for me, but I appreciate and respect what they are, how well they're made, and how difficult they were to produce. The Tighe Stick is probably the most prominent recent example until this one came along. The quality on this knife is really obvious when you hold it. It's super clean and crisp, the action is good, the lock is good, and the ergos are better than I expected. If this fits your preferences and aesthetic, then I think you'll be happy with it.

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Sustain:
It's pretty big, but it's light and thin. I can see it being very useful for a lot of jobs, perhaps more than one might usually use such a large knife to accomplish. The 20CV steel lets you have a nice thin blade, but it's still going to be fairly tough and hold an edge, and resist corrosion. I think it looks nice too. I tried to get some pics of it in my hands showing the grip so you can see the ergos with the thin handle.

Last edited by dplafoll on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SG89

Re: EuroEdge and Sustain have dropped (Pics)

Post by SG89 »

Thanks as always!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
timlara

Post by timlara »

That EuroEdge is impressive. I am really amazed at the technical fit and finish excellence coming out of Taichung. I am very curious to handle this one.

Thanks for the pics!
Tim
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Awesome pics of the big Zowada, oops I mean EuroEdge! ;) :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My Sustain is on the way :cool: Can't wait :)

Marius
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

The Euroedge is a design inspired by the opportunity to handle fullered pieces at the Royal British Armories. Fullers don't strengthen a blade they stiffen the blade. Fullers reduce weight therefore can increase the speed of use. In forged pieces, fullers reduce the amount of high Carbon steel needed to produce the blade, this provided economy of steel and ultimately more blades per pound of material.
In European martial arts the dagger and sword were often used in conjunction with other to provide a devastating combination. The Euroedge is not a true dagger as it is not sharpened on both sides. It will perform in much the same manner.
As a Bladesmith this piece pays homage to midieval armorers and their technology...Ed
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the pictures, Patrick, and thank you for the background info on the design, Ed. The EuroEdge really caught my eye the first time I saw it. I'd like to hold one and see how it feels in hand before I buy one.

One question: Does the EuroEdge have a solid backspacer or standoffs?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for pictures
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Awesome pics of the big Zowada, oops I mean EuroEdge! ;) :)
With all due respect to Mr. Zowada, EuroEdge looks much better and very impressive piece. I stopped buying knives for collection quite a while ago, but probably will have to make an exception for this knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SpyderNut wrote:Thank you for the pictures, Patrick, and thank you for the background info on the design, Ed. The EuroEdge really caught my eye the first time I saw it. I'd like to hold one and see how it feels in hand before I buy one.

One question: Does the EuroEdge have a solid backspacer or standoffs?
It looks like a solid backspacer.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Excellent! Thanks a bunch, Patrick. I was hoping for a solid backspacer. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

My Sustain arrived a few hours back... :)
Aliaspostmortem

Post by Aliaspostmortem »

Gorgeous knife and pics! Not entirely my style either but I really appreciate the F&F, materials and overall design. Now I want one!! :)

(have a friend eagerly awaiting his. It's going to be interesting to hear his reaction on this piece!)

/ J
For reviews and other kniferelated stuff mostly in Swedish visit: http://knivigtvarre.blogspot.se/
Now also with reviews in English!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:My Sustain arrived a few hours back... :)
Congrats for the design.It's an awesome blade.Mine is in the mail.I am planning a trip to NZ for next year.Too bad I can't take my Sustain with me :( I was informed that knife laws there are....let's say "very strict". :eek:

Marius
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I definitely want a sustain but that euroedge looks a lot bigger than i thought it would be. Now i kinda want one of those too. Looks like the handle fuller could be used to help index the knife in usage.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Picked mine up from the post office today, very impressive for sure. Very solid piece, love the polished G10 and the way it fits my hand. Its a hefty piece, They also did the etched sypdie on the clip instead of stamping which is a nice touch.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:My Sustain arrived a few hours back... :)

Mine also. Very happy with it. Light, clean design and grinds, well balanced, great materials, comfortable in hand, sharp, and not a pry bar! Mike. (Not so hot picture provided as "proof it happened". :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for these pics and first impressions, makes the wait for mine to arrive even harder! ;-)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram