My Mantra Made Make it Out of the Box and into My Pocket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Re: My Mantra May Not Make it Out of the Box

Post by FCM415 »

Bodog wrote:
FCM415 wrote:
Bodog wrote:If you like the size and steel and ergonomics you'll probably find you will still like the knife despite the action. The one you receive may not even have a problem. I still enjoy mine because the overall design overrides the issue with the bearings. But if I didn't like something else about it, too, it'd be gone. If it's already on the way there might as well give it a shot. You may find yourself feeling the same way.
Good job Bodog. Spyderco's a brand that will not only listen to your complaints, you even have enough clout in their forum to make purchasing decisions for some members.

I hope you appreciate it, I'm sure it's not as nice getting the exact opposite reaction for just trying to make the knife world a better place for everyone.
Good job taking the terrible spirit of another forum and trying to bring it here. I doubt very much anyone is basin their decision on my opinion alone. It's a pretty common problem and now spyderco is looking into it. The least that can come of this is that they'll rethink using these ball bearings and if they do stop using them in exchange for something better then all of these people coming out of the woodwork who explain their bad experiences will have a reason to rethink buying bearing knives from spyderco. I've refrained from proving anything to you bottomsuckers on BF because I could show you all the proof in the world and you wouldn't believe it because you and people like you are just really rotten spirited people. It'd take some of you guys coming out and actually doing what I do to understand how it is and why I'm able to say what I say. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not. But good job with the shiny footprints.

And yes, spyderco IS a good company because they DO listen to their customers. All it took was some people expressing their opinions. Sorry it wasn't just entirely candy canes and lollipops about anything and everything. There's obviously some kind of issue and now spyderco knows about it and that it's not isolated to just a couple of knives.
Very good Bodog. Very good! I'm glad you're around. It looks like you do appreciate this forum.

EDITED - AGAIN - See previous edit and the post below.

I didn't participate in either of these threads. I know better. You may have meant well, and they attacked the crap out of you. Good to see that you (once again) appreciate it here.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

FCM415 wrote:... Good job Bodog. Spyderco's a brand that will not only listen to your complaints, you even have enough clout in their forum to make purchasing decisions for some members.

I hope you appreciate it, I'm sure it's not as nice getting the exact opposite reaction for just trying to make the knife world a better place for everyone.

*EDITED - No need to bring in unrelated threads from other forums. - TazKristi
FCM415 - While we appreciate your passion and willingness to support us there isn't a need to make this personal or to drag in threads from other forums.

We welcome all feedback - good, bad, or otherwise. What is commonly thought of as "bad" feedback, is actually an opportunity. We're listening, watching, evaluating, and more. We appreciate the conversation and ask that it be kept on topic and civil.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Oh yes, I love how Spyderco is so open to criticism and really genuinely listen and care.. Another reason that it sets them apart from other companies. It's good to know that people appreciate it. My posts in the past have always been in support of open discussion.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My Mantra flips open fast and smooth, lockup is perfect yet drops freely with lockbar disengaged. I will say that if I close it slowly with as little pressure as possible, I indeed feel the little bumps that must be on the washers, (I've not opened it to see). This does not effect the action whatsoever, in actual use I never close it like that and you can't feel them when opening or closing the knife in any normal way. My only concern is that long term use might wear through the washers? Time will tell. I carry it often, (Cruwear PM2 has recently been hogging pocket time though) and found it to be a great knife. I tweaked mine a little by flattening the spine a little and swapping the clip from a dragonfly, (I'm considering getting a bunch of the shorter wire clips for my other knives now too). It's too bad that some people have had issues with theirs but I agree that you tend to hear more complaints than praise on forums. I just try to be sure to purchase from reputable dealers with good return policies.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

TazKristi wrote:
FCM415 wrote:... Good job Bodog. Spyderco's a brand that will not only listen to your complaints, you even have enough clout in their forum to make purchasing decisions for some members.

*EDITED - No need to bring in unrelated threads from other forums. - TazKristi
FCM415 - While we appreciate your passion and willingness to support us there isn't a need to make this personal or to drag in threads from other forums.

We welcome all feedback - good, bad, or otherwise. What is commonly thought of as "bad" feedback, is actually an opportunity. We're listening, watching, evaluating, and more. We appreciate the conversation and ask that it be kept on topic and civil.

Kristi

Thank you Kristi. Just want Spyderco to be the dominant manufacturer because you guys are really great. Other companies offer some really good things but you guys take the "functional knife" hobby to other levels. We appreciate what you guys are doing, even if it means our wallets are lighter than they should be!
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I have problems with my Mantra washers. But I would buy it again knowing about the problem. It's a great knife. I'm just hoping I'll have some sort of option to properly fix the issue instead of just removing the washers.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

dplafoll wrote:I have problems with my Mantra washers. But I would buy it again knowing about the problem. It's a great knife. I'm just hoping I'll have some sort of option to properly fix the issue instead of just removing the washers.
I don't know if I'd buy it again but now that I have it I can say that I agree, it's a great knife. Especially for the price. I'd have most definitely paid $10 more for better action, though. And if it had better action, I'd definitely consider buying again if I lost mine.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love both the Mantra and 2. My Mantra flips a bit better than the 2 but I think it's more related to the mass of the blade. I haven't really notice any "bumpiness" but I always lube the pivot on any new knives I receive. Guess I need to get mine out and flip a bit.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Just so you know.. There are thousands of satisfied Mantra owners out there. When mine arrived I couldn't believe how smooth the action was. I have carried it almost daily for months now and it has only become more glassy. Any amount of lock stick is now gone. If I disengage the R.I.L completely with a wedge the blade will swing freely and just as smooth as any PM2 I have handled. They do not all have these issues. I would recommend trying it out before sending it back. The Mantra has basically stolen all of my pocket space more so than any of my other 20+ spydies I own, other than the GB2, which competes for space daily.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Lots of Mantra love here. It is a great knife, it has become my favorite. Mine is super smooth with no problems flipping.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

You guys definitely made me feel better. I admit I over-reacted - umm - just a bit. :)
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I want to add - washers and bearing aside - Spyderco is a great company and the members of this forum have a great attitude.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Jazz wrote:Good grief. Really? You might want to do your own thinking.
Good point.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dreadpirate wrote:I want to add - washers and bearing aside - Spyderco is a great company and the members of this forum have a great attitude.
^ I agree!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

dreadpirate, just wondering, did you get the Mantra, or Mantra 2?

Please keep us updated here and let us know how yours is... both initially, and after some use, if you can! Thanks !
Going back to Caly.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Mak sure you don't take it apart for now in case you receive an affected knife and have to return it to the dealer or to Spyderco.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Got the Mantra today. Was stiff at first but after an hour or less of flipper flicks, it works perfectly. It's a keeper. If over time the action fails for any reason I will just make good on the warranty. But why borrow trouble? Can I change the title of the thread?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dreadpirate wrote:Got the Mantra today. Was stiff at first but after an hour or less of flipper flicks, it works perfectly. It's a keeper. If over time the action fails for any reason I will just make good on the warranty. But why borrow trouble?
Good to hear you're happy with it!
dreadpirate wrote:Can I change the title of the thread?
You should be able to change the title of the thread. I haven't tried it on this forum but most of the other forums I frequent you can by editing your first post in the thread. Give that a try. If that doesn't work drop TazKristi a PM. I bet she'd take care of you.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SF Native

Re: My Mantra Made Make it Out of the Box and into My Pocket

Post by SF Native »

Fantastic knife, right? Enjoy it. Glad yours is in fine working order.
I can understand how some bum washers or bearing would be really frustrating.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

dreadpirate wrote:Got the Mantra today. Was stiff at first but after an hour or less of flipper flicks, it works perfectly. It's a keeper. If over time the action fails for any reason I will just make good on the warranty. But why borrow trouble? Can I change the title of the thread?
If the action does start to get slow, check the detent track first. Sometimes mine gets a little dirty, clean it up and a tiny bit of oil and it flips like a rocket again.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390