SpyderMonkey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: SpyderMonkey

Post by spyderg »

I like it, probably flat over scandi for me as well, but it looks like it would be a good bushcraft design with the scandi. Tip up left hand carry, and flush pivot if it ever does get a redesign and a second look from Sal. The Wolfspyder doesn't appeal to me at all. It looks like it would be very uncomfortable to hold, and awkward for carry.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:sal, if I may ask, for your own speculation, why do you think Scandi grind knives, and infact, especially folders, are not as popular and have a smaller market than others? Is it because most folks are not into the whole "bush craft thing" or that they simply tend to go for more standard grinds like hollow and flat grinds?

tstetz: It would also be great to see a small sprint run of this knife, even if it was not a large batch, it would be a great blade to have and use.

One of the reasons is that Scandi grinds work best with "old school" high hardness, low carbide steels, rather than the current crop of high carbide stainless alloys. Another is that many if not most companies outside of Scandinavia add a secondary bevel for final sharpening, which lowers the cutting performance of that edge configuration, add to that the fact that when correctly sharpened to a zero bevel the edge is not very resistant to abuse and you have a widely misunderstood blade grind that performs poorly in many peoples' opinion... not a recipe for huge success.

I'm a bit baffled by the bushcraft=scandi equation, I would personally go for a USN Mk 1 or a CS SRK if I needed a "survival" tool, before choosing a Mora or a $300 celeb endorsed Scandi grind knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

See, I never equate bushcraft and survival. While there's certainly some overlap, to me (and a good many other folks) they're two different things. Bushcraft is a hobby and involves practicing outdoors skills and crafting. Things that are useful when camping and in the outdoors, and some of which would be handy skills to have in a survival situation, but that isn't the focus of the craft.

As far as the limitations of the edge and how its misunderstood though, I agree. I love a Scandi edge for woodwork, and find it works fine for most other stuff but its not a be all, end all design and you certainly need to know the limitations of it.
Tim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:sal, if I may ask, for your own speculation, why do you think Scandi grind knives, and infact, especially folders, are not as popular and have a smaller market than others? Is it because most folks are not into the whole "bush craft thing" or that they simply tend to go for more standard grinds like hollow and flat grinds?

tstetz: It would also be great to see a small sprint run of this knife, even if it was not a large batch, it would be a great blade to have and use.
Candidate for the next flash batch ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Make it flat ground, hourglass clip, S30V to start and we might have another hit there. Then I'll wait for S110V version. Golden made, please.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Now that I think about it, the scales look like they could have a few hotspots which goes against the whole bushcraft design philosophy. Maybe sculpted g10 and flush screws?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

That's some quality work, tstetz. The overall design is very appealing to me and I'd hope with some tweaks (FFG, wire clip, etc) it could be reconsidered. It would make an extremely versatile EDC.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The blade shape is great. It is a basic spear point which I love. The basic blade shape that was so loved by Horace Kephart and in general just a perfect utilitarian shape.

Scandi grinds carve wood well with their low edge angles but beyond that they have limitations including possible durability issues. Some say scandi grinds are easier to sharpen and I understand the reason why people say that but for me that isn't much of an issue. I have never struggled sharpening a regular grind with a pocket stone.

Much like the blade, the handle is basic and utilitarian looking. I like that although the finger groove looks like it could be a little uncomfortable in actual use and it also looks to be a little far back on the handle.

Overall when I saw this knife I immediately thought of the Esee Avispa folder. They are also very utilitarian folders designed for the woods bum. I like your blade shape better but their handle looks far more comfortable.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I would buy one. Definitely.
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Well, the design is based on the Bushcrafter fixed blade I designed about 8 or so years ago. The challenge is transitioning the good points of that to a folder, while accommodating the mechanics of the folding blade and lock. Most of the fixed blade versions had fat, round handles which I def prefer for bushcraft type woodwork. I do have a couple with flat scales though which worked fine for more general use, which is what I figured a folder would get used for more anyway.

I *think* the scale contour would be fine based on other stuff I've used. The handle shape is different, but the texture and profile are similar to the Para Military I've been carrying lately, which is fine. As far as the finger notch goes, its worked well on the fixed blades and its really core to the design. Positioning may be slightly different on the folder due to the pivot point. Honestly until one physically exists though there's no way of knowing for sure.

And this is where its much more advantageous for folks like Spyderco to work with an actual maker versus a designer. I have what I *think* is a good design but with a maker you aren't gambling that what looks good on paper, or in CAD, or in an awesome rendering :p, will actually *be* good. With an actual maker you get a sample in hand to look at, feel, handle and use to know if its going to work or not.

With fixed blade designs I've had prototypes commissioned before. That's tougher with folders. Its a whole different skill set, a lot more expensive to do, and, in a case like this where I had envisioned a specific Spyderco style, use of a compression lock etc, pretty much impossible for me to do.

You guys bring up a lot of good points and suggestions though. Def can see that although Scandi would be neat and *I* want one, it would not have enough universal appeal to be worth a company doing. As far as stuff like which clip and exact scale contours go that's stuff you have to figure out for sure in prototyping I think, which is sort of academic at this point.

Here's some pics of various Bushcrafter fixed blades as a reference for where this all started from.
Attachments
20161125_110625_resized.jpg
20161125_110532_resized.jpg
Tim
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Yes, I'll reiterate the sentiments from above - That's an absolutely gorgeous folder my friend!!