Tenacious rusting :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Polter16

Re: Tenacious rusting :(

Post by Polter16 »

Hi so im having the same problem now i have a theory, i used my knife to cut open a baked potato and i believe the oils made it rust so im going to try some WD40 and see if that works to get the rust off and even if it dosnt the blade is still razer sharp and could definitely still be used rust specs or not. Although i do understand the importance of having a shiny rust free blade as well.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

My Tenacious was my first Spyderco, and the only time I ever found rust on it was when I got it in the mail! It was just three tiny specs. Never had a problem since, and none of my other 20+ knives have rusted
mveach

Post by mveach »

I have found rust on knives that I haven't used in a long time. Or that got wet and I didn't get dried and oiled in time.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I've had S30v rust on me, but that was somewhat extended carry and use without opportunity to oil. I''ve seen a VG-10 Endura 4 get surface rust from years of neglect.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Keep my tenacious in my truck, we get +40 Celsius and humid to -40 here and never a spot of rust on it. Put away wet a number of times too. Action has stayed smooth as silk too. I don't know why I don't really carry it actually!? The only spydies I've had rust on are, my Mantra and m4 is not exactly stainless and it cleaned up fine. After forcing a patina it has been just fine. And my Cruwear Manix got a couple of spots after loaning it to a friend for a couple of months to get him hooked on Spyderco, (it worked) and again it cleaned up fine and nothing since. Didn't bother to put a patina or do anything special to protect this one as Cruwear is pretty close to being stainless anyway.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I no longer have a Tenacious (I hate the thumb-cutter lock on that one), but I have had them before and have a Resilience (same steel) that gets regular use, usually outdoors. Never seen a spot of corrosion on any of them, and I don't oil the blades at all, ever. I do the opposite, actually--I wipe them with alcohol.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Gijins wrote:SO i got my tenacious about a week ago. verry pleased at fisrt,solid lockup,sharp and seemes like a good knife. But after a week of just playing with it, no real use at all, im seeing rust specs all over the blade. no particular area were ide make contact more often, just little orange specs everywere. i take care of my knives, well oiled and sharp all the time, never get wet without a thurough drying and oiling.

So ide imagine this is my fault one way or another, but does this blade material realy rust that easily??
Im trying to love spyderco but im finding it harder and harder after problems with both spyderco knives ive purchased. :(
I'd buy a tin of Eezox! ;)

It’s not much of a lube, it’s a fairly good cleaner, but it’s pretty hard to beat when it comes to rust prevention. I’d say do what you’re doing, just do it with Eezox. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hey Bloke,

The OP postes in 2008, so while your advice is sound, he might not see it (?) :confused: ;)
Chris :spyder:
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I didn't even notice that. This should have been a new thread.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser