Spyderco folding beard comb?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Spyderco folding beard comb?

Post by murphjd25 »

How cool would that be!!?? Has this been thought up before? Was just thinking I need a new beard comb, and a spyderco folding comb with complete spydie hole would just be totally awesome I thought!!
Josh
abbazaba

Re: Spyderco folding beard comb?

Post by abbazaba »

Count me in as long it remains reasonably priced (I'm looking at you HEAdesigns).
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came really close to making my own when I had a big beard. I planned to buy a Persistence and round off the edge and point and then band saw cut the comb teeth.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Re: Evil D

Post by SF Native »

Evil D wrote:I came really close to making my own when I had a big beard. I planned to buy a Persistence and round off the edge and point and then band saw cut the comb teeth.
Could you cut teeth in a delica or endura trainer?
Evil D

Re: Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SF Native wrote:
Evil D wrote:I came really close to making my own when I had a big beard. I planned to buy a Persistence and round off the edge and point and then band saw cut the comb teeth.
Could you cut teeth in a delica or endura trainer?
Not really, the holes in the blade kinda screw that up. I had a very thick/long beard and I wanted a wide/deep tooth comb to get through it.
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I made my own a while back. Don't use it much but made it for fun. I saw the headesign or whatever it's called for a redonkulous amount, it's nice but I'd never spend that kind of cash on a comb, no matter how cool.
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ya know, not a Spyderco but a Svord Peasant would be great for this idea and is a heck of a lot cheaper.
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I usually carry the Kent folding comb and my thumb always instinctively goes for a spyderhole when trying to open it :o I would certainly be in for a locking Spyderco comb, but I'm not sure there's much of a market for these things?
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Probably not much of a market but it would still be neat! Guess I'll stick with my cheapo, it is just a comb anyways! Nice mod spyderg!
Josh
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

No, please no, a s35vn folding beard comb would be god awful retarded.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What steel would be best for one of these beard combs? VG10 or S30V or HAP40 or some other?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What steel would be best for one of these beard combs? VG10 or S30V or HAP40 or some other?
There are far cheaper stainless they can find. It doesn't need any edge holding ability at all it just needs to not rust easily. Any common blade steel would be overkill. There are lots of very corrosion resistant steels out there that don't work well for edged applications that would be fine for a comb.

To be honest I would be fine with plastic but it would be cool if it still had a thumb hole.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

murphjd25 wrote:Probably not much of a market but it would still be neat! Guess I'll stick with my cheapo, it is just a comb anyways! Nice mod spyderg!
Thanx. No mod here though. Made it all myself, comb from scrap metal, made the red lined denim micarta in the garage from my old jeans and and old ribbon, even the pins are cut down from rivets or nails, (can't remember what I used on this project as it was a while ago).
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
remnar

Post by remnar »

I want one but only if it's designed by Ed Schempp. ;) :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

:D :cool:
remnar wrote:I want one but only if it's designed by Ed Schempp. ;) :spyder:
Josh
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

If they don't do this and leave the name "Spydercomb" on the table, I'll be very disappointed.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The comb could be a basic 300 series stainless steel or whatever they use for their liners or it could even be frn or g10. Shoot, a brass comb with a CF handle could be pretty cool. While i would not describe using a blade steel in a comb as developmentally disabled like our friend trips I can agree that using an actual blade steel makes very little sense.

Sal seems to always have some facial hair himself so maybe he has some interest in this?

While we are on this subject I might as well throw in a pic of a beard and a ton of Spydie goodness....

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer my beard comb made of horn.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The coolest beard comb I've seen is the automatic one by, I believe Marfione. Elmax steel.. almost got one just because automatic knives are illegal where I live but automatic combs would not be. The HEA one is unattractive IMO. I think a Spyderco comb would be cool, but I do think plastic would be better.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
While we are on this subject I might as well throw in a pic of a beard and a ton of Spydie goodness....

Sadly mine is far far shorter now but it would have been great to have a cool comb when it was thing long. I usually carried a pick.

~David