One-handed pocketing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

One-handed pocketing

Post by mb1 »

Another thread reminded me of this nitpicky issue I have. Am I the only person that has issues with one-handed pocketing? All these cool designs make one-handed deployment a breeze. Then when I'm done with the knife I'm fumbling around to get it secured again if only one hand is available. This is typically with shorts or other flimsy pockets, less so with jeans. A lot of times I just have to drop the knife in my pocket and secure it by clip later.

So here's an idea. How about some kind of lever type of clip that you can pocket one-handed? Or are there already 10 aftermarket clips like this I just haven't found yet? .:confused: :spyder: If you could pinch the end to open the clip you could attach it one-handed to any pocket. Maybe the force needed to "lever" a clip that would still be secure just wouldn't work mechanically and practically. I would be excited for some CQI innovation in this area.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Liquid Cobra

Re: One-handed pocketing

Post by Liquid Cobra »

There are only a few knives that I've come across where this is an issue. Typically it's when they come with a custom clip instead of the standard one Spyderco uses or the wire clip. The ATR, Rubicon, Chubby quickly come to mind. I guess I don't really consider it an issue because the standard clip isn't a problem for me and typically the standar clip goes on what I consider to be the workhorse designs. On a fancier knife I'm okay with a special clip.

I like your idea of being able to pinch the clip or raise it somehow as you put it away. A little bit of a wave feature facing down might be enough to pull up on using your index finger. I'd be a little concerned with it snagging on things though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never had a problem. Only knives I ever carry clipped are OTF autos, and they're a breeze to put back one handed. The Spydercos I carry either never had a clip, or had it removed before the first time I used them> Kiwi drops into my watch/coin pocket, larger Spyderco in my left back pocket. Only knife I can recall having to use two hands to put away was a fixed blade neck knife. Thought they were a stupid idea before that, one use confirmed it.

However, just tried it with a couple different Spydercos that still have their clips because I don't carry them and had no problems. But that may be because I wear jeans which, while they don't look like they were sprayed on, don't look like they belong to someone 10 sizes larger than me. I suspect ease of clipping is always going to be related to the thickness and suppleness of the material. Too thick, too thin or too soft and the clip won't go on easily. Clipping to a cargo type pocket is always going to be relatively difficult. Patch pockets can also be less than ideal, depending on "give". Just as when carrying a handgun, you either have to select your clothing based on what and how you carry, or tolerate less than ideal results.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Studey

Post by Studey »

Grant and Gavin Hawk have a lever clip, CRK uses it on the Ti-Lock.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Liquid Cobra wrote: A little bit of a wave feature facing down might be enough to pull up on using your index finger. I'd be a little concerned with it snagging on things though.
To your point, I thought maybe just practicing lifting the end with the index finger would work. Tried it on my Dragonfly wire clip and it definitely helps. That clip has already gotten a little "sprung" and this probably won't help with that.

I think there are probably a bunch of designs that would work with creating a lifting mechanism, but ergos could be an issue with anything protruding and affecting the grip feel. Simple yet tricky!
- Mark

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Studey wrote:Grant and Gavin Hawk have a lever clip, CRK uses it on the Ti-Lock.
That CRK clip is along the lines of what I was picturing. Haven't ever gone looking for this feature and never noticed that. Thanks.

Once again, there really is nothing new under the sun.
- Mark

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had to adjust the tension on a few clips by taking them off and bending them one way or the other. Other than that my only Spydie which has given me trouble is on my Lionspy but that isn't a Spyderco clip. The Lionspy clip is kind of terrible. I have never honestly thought about changing the hourglass clip.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

mb1 wrote:Another thread reminded me of this nitpicky issue I have. Am I the only person that has issues with one-handed pocketing? All these cool designs make one-handed deployment a breeze. Then when I'm done with the knife I'm fumbling around to get it secured again if only one hand is available. This is typically with shorts or other flimsy pockets, less so with jeans. A lot of times I just have to drop the knife in my pocket and secure it by clip later.

So here's an idea. How about some kind of lever type of clip that you can pocket one-handed? Or are there already 10 aftermarket clips like this I just haven't found yet? .:confused: :spyder: If you could pinch the end to open the clip you could attach it one-handed to any pocket. Maybe the force needed to "lever" a clip that would still be secure just wouldn't work mechanically and practically. I would be excited for some CQI innovation in this area.
Practice is the key I've found.

Close my eyes, Draw and repocket the knife about a half dozen times before making a move out the door if I've not carried it in a while.
Muscle memory wakes up and I'll do it automatically.

Also- I tend to keep my thumb on the spine of handle (or blade when tip up) and cup the blade back (or handle spine) against my 3rd finger.
My index and middle fingers are stuck out straight in line with the movement of clipping the knife, acting as a guide...
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I might add that I have almost always lived in a place where I have been legally allowed to carry a fixed blade knife yet I have almost always carried a folder. I do have EDC fixed blades but they get carried just on occasion. There are a few reasons why I choose a folder and some of them are the shorter overall length, lighter weight since they have open handles and more importantly no sheath (sheaths add a couple ounces) but lastly and most importantly is that I can repocket a folder in a split second with one hand without looking. Fixed blades almost always require me to at least look at the sheath if not also use two hands. I can pull a Para2 from my right rear pocket, make a cut and return the knife to that pocket in a effortless and mindless motion with one hand and without looking. I love CQI as much as the next guy and hope this conversation evolves and just wanted to add this as perspective. Easy reclipping is as important as easy one handed opening and closing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only have this issue on very short handled knives where the clip is almost as long as the handle. I have a small flashlight that's kind of a pain to clip one handed because the clip extends almost to the end of the light. On larger knives there's enough handle to slip into the pocket first and then snag the clip on the lip of the pocket and it goes right in. On short knives there isn't enough handle to guide the clip with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I usually either jam the clip onto the edge of my pocket then reposition it or I rest the clip on the edge of my pocket and put my pointer finger under it to put it onto my pocket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Over the past 30 years, there have been a number of; lever-clips, flip-clips, adjustable clips, rotary tightening, etc. All designed to solve the problem that you describe. Unfortunately, none of them have ever really caught on in the marketplace. Spyderco has always opted for the simpler solution dealing with clip form, tension and materials. I don't know if there are any after market clips like this at this time.

sal
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks for the insight Sal.
- Mark

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

For the most part re-pocketing a Spyderco has not really been a problem for me, though I must admit it is 100 times easier to do with the old integrated FRN clips of early Spydercos. If I do have trouble, I have found that turning the knife around and clipping it to the outside of the pocket or clothing frees up my hands quickly....but I do return the knife to the pocket ASAP.....Doc:)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The trick, I think, is to thumb the knife (already inside the pocket) against the outer edge of the pocket so as to catch the clip on this outer edge. I started slowly and deliberately but now I slide it in and on quickly and without thought. I thank Sal for sticking to the KISS principle.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Only time i have trouble is clipping the K2 to my carpenter pocket of my jeans. They're thick denim though and the edge is doubled over so i have to use my finger to pull the clip up slightly.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

You can easily adjust the clip tension by removing it and bending it. I wrap the end that attaches to the knife in a cloth and pinch it in a pair of pliers and bend the other end slightly to loosen it up. It may take you a few times to reach the desired tension. I do this will all my knives when I receive them. I try to find the perfect balance between good tension so as to retain the knife in my pocket while keeping it light enough to clip one handed.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

freebird610 wrote:You can easily adjust the clip tension by removing it and bending it. I wrap the end that attaches to the knife in a cloth and pinch it in a pair of pliers and bend the other end slightly to loosen it up. It may take you a few times to reach the desired tension. I do this will all my knives when I receive them. I try to find the perfect balance between good tension so as to retain the knife in my pocket while keeping it light enough to clip one handed.
Have you ever had an issue with losing the knife from it coming unclipped/unnoticed with less clip tension?

It's interesting to see the different thoughts and approaches on such a mundane subject. That's why I love this place.
- Mark

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I have a couple of knives that can be a little finicky going back on my pocket but it doesn't really bother me as I often need to get my knife out in a hurry but rarely need to get it back in my pocket in any sort of a rush. I actually usually leave my clipped knife where it is and use a slipjoint out of my back pocket for most tasks. I used to work in a warehouse where I needed my knife constantly but had to have it closed while operating equipment. I found having a folder that is comfortable in hand closed, that also leaves enough hand useable to grip things was best for me. I like my modified GB for this, I hold it with my ring and pinky against my palm, leaving my thumb, index and middle for say pallet truck handle.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep, lost two Dragonfly knives due to "wonky" clips, or clips that came loose. Don't use clips any longer.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation