Manix 2 Lightweight - Steel Options

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bwunger

Manix 2 Lightweight - Steel Options

Post by bwunger »

Yep, another "which knife should I buy?" thread.

I've been wanting to buy a Manix 2 Lightweight and lately the decision has gotten a bit more complicated. Now we have BD-1, CTS-XHP, CPM-S110V, and CTS-Maxamet as options. I was initially planning on the S110V version, since I've liked it so much with my PM2 but that was an easy choice for me given BD-1 was the only other option. Now with CTS-XHP and Maxamet, it's much harder to decide. I'm definitely intrigued by Maxamet and have looked over Ankerson's posts multiple times. The performance looks amazing but I'm not sure how it will hold up (see below). CTS-XHP seems like a better all-arounder and would probably be fine but who wants just "fine". ;)

I'm planning on using the knife for hiking, backpacking and probably some EDC type duty. For reference regarding how hard I am on knives, I haven't had any issues with my S110v PM2 doing any of the hiking/backpacking/camp/EDC tasks that I would need this knife to do and my ZDP-189 Delica also hasn't had any problems, though it has a hint of vertical blade play when locked, which bothers me a bit.

Unfortunately I can't buy more than one. Thoughts?
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
abbazaba

Re: Manix 2 Lightweight - Steel Options

Post by abbazaba »

I just went through some hiking pictures for a thread on another forum and the S110v M2 LW was in almost every single one. It's my go-to hiking knife. I'm excited about the Maxamet, but the S110v is dressed to impress in that dark blue and I never worry about it getting rusty when I'm camping in the rain. And of course S110v holds a working edge forever.

XHP is one of my favorite EDC steels because it is very easy to sharpen, but the brown does nothing for me. BD1 is fine if youre looking to save money. You really can't go wrong, buy the one that speaks to you.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the Translucent Blue (BD1), Black (BD1), Dark Blue (S110V), and Brown (XHP). I agree with abbadaza, you can go wrong with any of them. Some folks don't like BD1 but I think it's great if you don't mind touching it up more often than the others. It's very stainless and is easy to get really sharp. Of course S110V & XHP are great too. I think I like the dark blue S110V the best but I'm also much happier with the brown XHP than I thought I would be. So pick the one with the steel that matches your needs, color choice, and budget the best.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Thanks for the input guys. You're probably right that I'm overthinking it. I often do. I'd definitely say I'm leaning towards Maxamet or S110V. It's the steel I know and like, versus the new steel that sounds like something I would like. I suppose my main worry with Maxamet is that it will be too fragile for every day use and there just isn't a lot of info out there yet to say how it will behave with different geometries and such, under different uses. S110V for example, we know you can use it thin behind the edge like in some of the customs out there (Phil Wilson, Big Chris) but if it's thicker behind the edge it's plenty tough, like Spyderco's S110V knives.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

My s110v m2 is my go to outdoor fun knife. It has seen a ton of mud, river water and saltwater.

Few steels that are that stainless can hold an edge half as well.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

S110v lw is my edc and that thing holds an edge like crazy. I assumed it needed a little touch up since I have used it for a while and after testing the sharpness its still almost as sharp as it was brand new. After a few strokes on the strop its back to shaving sharp. Plus its extremely nice not to have to worry about rust in an edc knife imho.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Thanks for all the input guys (Including all the people who have posted reviews and info that I used to decide).

Decided to go with the S110V version. The Maxamet was really tempting but I don't think I'm ready to spend that kind of money on a relatively new steel. Maybe when we get a little more info about it. Even so, initial impressions I'm seeing are that it isn't a ton better than S110V in performance for quite a bit more money. Maybe also a case where some time and Spyderco's CQI will improve it's performance, in which case, I'll want a later version anyway.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

For hiking and backpacking I like the Manix LW as a platform. S110V is a good choice if you can pair it with a small tough fixed blade for the grunt work. S110V might be a challenge to maintain in the field if it becomes very dull.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Brock O Lee wrote:For hiking and backpacking I like the Manix LW as a platform. S110V is a good choice if you can pair it with a small tough fixed blade for the grunt work. S110V might be a challenge to maintain in the field if it becomes very dull.
Agreed, I was thinking the same thing and picked up a DMT diafold too ;) . I have a Bark River Bushcrafter in 3V or an ESEE BK-14 in 1095 for when the trip calls for more muscle . I was using a Delica for trips where a lighter knife would do but I find I'm just not that big a fan of back locks, hence the Manix 2. Maybe it's just my Delica though, when you push into a cut hard you can feel the blade levering the lock up if you have your thumb over the transition from lock to spine. Maybe I should send it in to get checked out.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sounds like you are sorted. ;)

I also dislike the movement of many back locks in hard cuts, but it is a normal characteristic.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bazfum

Post by bazfum »

I'm currently suffering this dilemma as well. My EDC BD1 Manix "disappeared" from my checked luggage in July. Ironically I was going to Denver and visited Spyderco HQ as part of my itinerary. Didn't buy anything as I didn't want to risk the same thing happening again. I was having trouble deciding between another BD1 or S110v before these other 2 options were announced! I really liked the low maintenance needed with the BD1 but feel drawn to the Maxamet currently. I do wish the FRCP on all these new ones was also translucent. I think that helped with it being accepted at work.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bazfum wrote:I'm currently suffering this dilemma as well. My EDC BD1 Manix "disappeared" from my checked luggage in July. Ironically I was going to Denver and visited Spyderco HQ as part of my itinerary. Didn't buy anything as I didn't want to risk the same thing happening again. I was having trouble deciding between another BD1 or S110v before these other 2 options were announced! I really liked the low maintenance needed with the BD1 but feel drawn to the Maxamet currently. I do wish the FRCP on all these new ones was also translucent. I think that helped with it being accepted at work.
Shame about your knife getting stolen :( . Normally I would endorse the s110v Manix exclusively however I think in this instance it comes down to 2 factors cost vs. sharpening ability. If money is no object and your sharpening skills are good then the Maxamet is a great option, the s110v will come in about 40-50$ cheaper and is already an established performer however you're still going to need good sharpening skills. The knifecenter exclusive therefore would be my recomendation. At $90 it's almost half the price of the Maxamet, the steel is relatively simple to sharpen and it holds a good edge. plus it's an exclusive/limited edition so when they're all sold you'll have a bit of history in your pocket.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

I was in the same boat. I opted for a Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP.

Figured it is a steel I can field touch up, but hold a edge better than BD-1.

First fastpacking trip this weekend just gone. Passed with flying colours. Made 8 small hardwood tent pegs and various camp chores. Was still shaving arm hair and had no corrosion 2 days after getting home. And it was on my running belt the whole trip getting covered by sweat.
bazfum

Post by bazfum »

You guys convinced me. I've been carrying the brown Manix for 2 weeks now...

I haven''t had to sharpen it or open a lot of food so I can't quite compare the steels yet. It is probably better suited to my needs than the Maxamet. I may end up with all 4 now just to compare...

I like the brown well enough on it's own, but i do think the translucent blue made it more friendly to whip out in public. Luckily here in St. Louis no one seems to care much anyway.