Which knife for my son?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Which knife for my son?

Post by Donut »

I would say that he is going to trash the first one while learning how to use it AND I would recommend getting him a Sprint that will not be available when you give it to him.

Maybe pick up the next sprint and pick up a standard VG-10 or Salt version and give him the normal one first and give him the special one when you see that he's messed up the first one. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Looks like you are on the right track. A few things I thought of the throw into the mix:
-Storing a knife in a humid environment for 5-10 years, rust may be a factor. You will want to get H1, or oil it every now and then while waiting for him to growup.
-I love the DF2, but it has a somewhat unique grip. To me, the choil is pretty much necessary to use the DF2 well. For a first knife you might want something that will keep his hand further from the blade and allow a more traditional grip. Something like a delica might work well.
-Kids dont have the dexterity you have, and would likely benefit from a larger handle overall. Again, a delica would be about the right size.
-From my reading it seems that usually injuries happen with the tip of the knife for kids. Spyderco has great pointed tips. Consider filing the tip round for his very first knife.

What I would do:
Buy one of the wooden knife kits. Build and paint it with him when you think he will benefit from the exercise, or when he starts asking for one. This will serve as a good learning experience and get him from age 4 to when you think he is ready for his delica.
Buy a brightly colored delica, and file the tip to be rounded. This will be his first real knife and will be a good exercise in safety and will be a good functional tool.
Wait to buy a nice knife until he can handle it. He will likely develop his own tastes and will want to pick out his own or have one of your handy-me-downs.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Congrats! What an awesome thing! When my boys were 6-8ish, I got them the wooden Dragonfly and the plastic glow in the dark Delicas. . We had fun putting them together, and it taught them about how a knife is made and how the locks work. The wooden ones were nice because the kids decorated the handles to their liking.

Then their next knife was Victorinox Tinker. . Their next knife was/will be a Delica. I think it is a good size for most 10-11 year olds. Plus, there are so many color choices. Having 3 boys, it allows them to pick a color they like, different from the brothers. . I have a Delica Zome pre-ordered for my 2nd boy, for his 11th birthday. I showed him a picture of it and he loved it. My oldest loves his brown Delica. .

No matter what you choose, it will be a special, Awsome gift for the future. Good luck and enjoy!