Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Post by wrdwrght »

Cujobob wrote:I don't mean to say the LW aren't fine knives, but to me, the other models are more comfortable and less prone to issues. The Japanese FRN is fairly comfortable, I don't find the harder feeling FRCP quite so comfortable
+1
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm stoked about the lightweight Maxamet! The G10 version of the M2 has many sprints (M4 Cruwear XHP...) but the LW has been limited in comparison. Same is true for the most part regarding the Native5 LW. What could be considered an M4 upgrade in these platforms has my wallet locked and loaded.

That said, I'm hoping to see some G10 Maxamet in the same production lines as the S110v. And unrealistically hoping in the up coming Fluted CF Native5 ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Since the Manix 2 LW has Maxamet, I would really like to see the XL Manix get it sooner than later.
BTG

Post by BTG »

abbazaba wrote:I'm stoked about the lightweight Maxamet! The G10 version of the M2 has many sprints (M4 Cruwear XHP...) but the LW has been limited in comparison. Same is true for the most part regarding the Native5 LW. What could be considered an M4 upgrade in these platforms has my wallet locked and loaded.

That said, I'm hoping to see some G10 Maxamet in the same production lines as the S110v. And unrealistically hoping in the up coming Fluted CF Native5 ;)
Oooohh , that would be cool if they did that on the CF N5.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

NiallRiv wrote:Also really like the FRN color choice, very subdued but clean
And what color is it? (or will it be?) I've read about 4 or 5 different threads mentioning this specific knife, here and elsewhere, and nobody has yet said what the color is.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Grey
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Putting super steels in affordable lightweight user platforms is one of the very special things that Spyderco does for us that really sets them apart from the competition.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The more I see it, the more I really like that grey color.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Surfingringo wrote:I used to say I preferred the g10 Manix (after handling both knives extensively), but after owning both and carrying a Manix LW for awhile, I prefer it to any of the g10 versions for EDC. I was super happy to see that they were going with the lightweight platform.
I have G10 & FRN/FRCP in a few different models, including the Manix 2. I like the feeling and heft of the G10 knives but I'm starting to actually prefer the lightweights. IDK, maybe it's a Summer/Winter thing for me. I tend to carry the G10 knives in the Winter when I'm wearing jeans but when I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I tend to go with lighter knives. I wouldn't have said this a few months ago but if I was forced to sell off some knives I think the G10 models would likely go first.
Surfingringo wrote:I hope to see them make a LW version of the paramilitary 2 one day!!
I'm up for this too! I remember a report from the Amsterdam meeting where the OP made mention of the smaller PM3/Minuteman (or whatever) having an FRN option. I'd be in for a LW and G10 version.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

I am unable to see from the pic on the Byte, is the pivot pinned, or is there a screw for user adjustment?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've so far passed on the mule because I just don't have that much opportunity to use the mules I have, so I was really happy to see this one coming in a relatively cheap platform and will be glad to check it out in FRCP. I'm also happy to see the new gray color. I hope it's as dark as it looks in the picture.

I carry my G10 Manixes more than my one S110V lightweight, but I really like to carry it occasionally in "dressier" situations because it's so much less conspicuous and lighter in the pocket. Also good sometimes in shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket for very light carry.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I used to say I preferred the g10 Manix (after handling both knives extensively), but after owning both and carrying a Manix LW for awhile, I prefer it to any of the g10 versions for EDC. I was super happy to see that they were going with the lightweight platform.
I have G10 & FRN/FRCP in a few different models, including the Manix 2. I like the feeling and heft of the G10 knives but I'm starting to actually prefer the lightweights. IDK, maybe it's a Summer/Winter thing for me. I tend to carry the G10 knives in the Winter when I'm wearing jeans but when I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I tend to go with lighter knives.....
Yes, I think you nailed it. I live in the tropics and I'm almost always in board shorts. What's more, I'm usually carrying IWB too. That flat thin LW Manix is one of the best IWB knives I own. Very comfortable to carry that way. I imagine carrying in front pocket with jeans and a belt it would feel like less of an advantage.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This knife completely took me off guard (Sal is good at that!). I am actually excited about it. I have been ho-hum mostly about the Manix 2 (I love the back lock FFG, however). But this one really has me excited. Maximet in a knife I can actually use. Just think of that. Spyderco has been on fire lately.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Are these out yet? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I have G10 & FRN/FRCP in a few different models, including the Manix 2. I like the feeling and heft of the G10 knives but I'm starting to actually prefer the lightweights. IDK, maybe it's a Summer/Winter thing for me. I tend to carry the G10 knives in the Winter when I'm wearing jeans but when I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I tend to go with lighter knives.....
Yes, I think you nailed it. I live in the tropics and I'm almost always in board shorts. What's more, I'm usually carrying IWB too. That flat thin LW Manix is one of the best IWB knives I own. Very comfortable to carry that way. I imagine carrying in front pocket with jeans and a belt it would feel like less of an advantage.
That's where I first fell in love with the Manix 2 sprints. I liked the Saber/Solid liner production version, but I could only carry it with jeans cause it seemed too heavy. The first Manix 2 sprint came out (Foliage Green XHP) and it "felt" half as heavy, but just as strong and I could carry it comfortably with just about anything.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

I WILL have one of these.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Putting super steels in affordable lightweight user platforms is one of the very special things that Spyderco does for us that really sets them apart from the competition.
Completely agree with this!

The Manix LW is a superb model as a light weight, affordable user in a reasonable size with a great lock and clip. I'm happy with the neutral colour too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sharp Guy wrote:I like the feeling and heft of the G10 knives but I'm starting to actually prefer the lightweights. IDK, maybe it's a Summer/Winter thing for me. I tend to carry the G10 knives in the Winter when I'm wearing jeans but when I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I tend to go with lighter knives.
Same here... But it's more of a Day/Night thing for me. :) I usually grab a LW Manix or Stretch or Native when I get home from work, or in the mornings before work, and then carry a more formal G10 or CF or Ti model during the day.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Skaaphaas wrote:I am unable to see from the pic on the Byte, is the pivot pinned, or is there a screw for user adjustment?
The pivot is adjustable, but the scales are pinned.
Hans