Mantra Bearing Race

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Post by Deadboxhero »

What's the update on this? I'm looking at getting a Mantra.

Has the issue been solved

Seems these stainless washers are the problem

All the reviews I've watched complain about the action.

Does it need stainless washers?

I have a zt 0450 and a Bm 765

They do not have washers and the bearings work just fine
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I just received my Mantra 1. Same stuttered action. It flips ok, but it's definitely noticeable.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

willydigger wrote:I just received my Mantra 1. Same stuttered action. It flips ok, but it's definitely noticeable.
That stinks. You should send it in. Seems like waiting for the next production run of these is the safe way to go. Whenever that is...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ABX2011 wrote:
willydigger wrote:I just received my Mantra 1. Same stuttered action. It flips ok, but it's definitely noticeable.
That stinks. You should send it in. Seems like waiting for the next production run of these is the safe way to go. Whenever that is...
I agree! He should send it in and let the Spyderco crew do their thing. Mine's as smooth as can be and I wouldn't be happy with anything less.

Hey willydigger, out of curiosity, what's the date code on the box? Mine's LO (Dec, 2015)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interesting, I played with mine a bit today and noticed this issue with mine as well. It's not an issue at all when flipping but if you open it slowly with your thumb you can feel the dents in the washers. It's not a gritty feeling, it's like sporadic resistance throughout opening.

Personally I'm keeping mine as is. I'm betting this issue can be solved by wear and pivot adjustments. I plan on tightening mine down to where the blade is hard to move and then working the pivot back and forth and I believe that will eventually wear an even groove in the washers. I also think this is an issue than can happen to any knife even if it doesn't have it, if the pivot is torqued down enough to dent the washers with the bearings. I wonder if nylon washers would fix this or just be worse.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Sharp Guy wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:
I agree! He should send it in and let the Spyderco crew do their thing. Mine's as smooth as can be and I wouldn't be happy with anything less.

Hey willydigger, out of curiosity, what's the date code on the box? Mine's LO (Dec, 2015)
I have LO on the box too.

It functions. It's not perfect, but I plan to use it in a dusty/dirty environment so I'm not concerned about the stutter. That said, it is disappointing that Spyderco didn't catch it. The knife is amazing in every other way.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Does it need those flimsy washers?

There aren't any washers in my other bearing flipper knives
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Deadboxhero wrote:Does it need those flimsy washers?

There aren't any washers in my other bearing flipper knives
I'm sure Spyderco put them there for a reason. I don't know how you could take them out either, since they're accounted for in the tolerances of the pivot.
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Mine has the same issue. The flipping action is just fine, but it feels kind of "dry" when closing the blade. Compared to some other flippers I own, it is definitely not smooth, and it will take more than a little wiggling to make it fall shut. Not really a problem IMO and I won't be sending it back to Spyderco as the shipping cost would be prohibitive, let alone the risk with the customs here.

I still love the knife overall, it really feels like a luxury Delica :)
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Can somebody confirm this is the same system used in the Nirvana or has been improved?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine is perfect. Buttery smooth.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I took mine apart and the SS shims were trashed. AWFUL! So I turned them over and tossed in a little lube, and the action is fine. For now anyway. I tightened to center and backed off a hair. It's completely smooth.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It is interesting to think that bearings on knives are a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Sure they can produce extra smooth action but they add complexity and can create problems.
I just received a $170 knife from another company. I had heard only good things about this knife. Guess what? There was a problem with the washer/bearing assembly on mine and the action was worse than with conventional washers. I had to send it back to the dealer.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Its hard to imagine a knife being any smoother than my manix LW or sage 3. Neither of them has bearings but both will freefall closed with zero blade play when locked.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Yes, my Manix LW is also exceptionally smooth. As is the Nilakka, Bradley 1, PM2's and new generation CQI Militaries.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:Its hard to imagine a knife being any smoother than my manix LW or sage 3. Neither of them has bearings but both will freefall closed with zero blade play when locked.
Sage3 smoothness hmmm...It seems everyone who own a Sage3 rank it as being nr.1 in smoothness.As much as I like my Sage1 I am very tempted to get a Sage3 for myself.I read good things about Blackie Collins, it seems he was a smart inovative engineer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just shot a video regarding this topic, I'll be making a thread about it as soon as the video uploads (just so the video doesn't get buried in this thread).

Cliff Notes:

I've solved this "issue" and hopefully this whole thing can be put to rest soon ;)
~David
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I was waiting for the magic CQI wand to be waved over this model before buying one
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I was waiting for the magic CQI wand to be waved over this model before buying one
That may well happen, but the fix I just did put this knife right along side my smoothest opening knives. If you really want one now I think it's a safe bet.

I also think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion lol
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I was waiting for the magic CQI wand to be waved over this model before buying one
That may well happen, but the fix I just did put this knife right along side my smoothest opening knives. If you really want one now I think it's a safe bet.

I also think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion lol
The suspense is killing me... Are we there yet?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi