Quintessential Small Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roger-roger

Re: Quintessential Small Spydie?

Post by roger-roger »

PanChango wrote:Get something with teeth. No Spyderco collection is complete without some serrations...

Agree, however I would add that "completion" would also include an integrated FRN clip.

Would be nice if Spyderco brought back this feature, for use with dress pants and walking shorts made from board shorts material etc.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bh49 wrote:
zhyla wrote:DFly2 is worth every penny but the small knife sector is flooded with much cheaper options.
cheaper doesn't mean better
Actually, for a lot of people it does. $50 for a tiny knife is a hard sell for a lot of people.

I would love to see a Dragonfly from Spyderco's Chinese factory that cost $25. I would hand them out like candy.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

zhyla wrote:
bh49 wrote:
zhyla wrote:DFly2 is worth every penny but the small knife sector is flooded with much cheaper options.
cheaper doesn't mean better
Actually, for a lot of people it does. $50 for a tiny knife is a hard sell for a lot of people.

I would love to see a Dragonfly from Spyderco's Chinese factory that cost $25. I would hand them out like candy.
And some people will not buy it just because it made in People's Republic of China
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bh49 wrote:And some people will not buy it just because it made in People's Republic of China
Really? You want to turn this nice thread about small knives into some geopolitical argument? Why? All I said is the Ambitious is a good small knife, especially on a budget. If you don't buy knives made in China and can handle the irony of expressing that opinion using an electronic device that was made in China then good for you. I for one would like to see more budget folders. The more the merrier.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

zhyla wrote:I for one would like to see more budget folders. The more the merrier.
Than may be will be a good idea for you to take a look at Kershaw, Buck and gerber line-up as well. You will find many budget knives. Also there is a Byrd line.
I really hope that cutlery manufacturers will not repeat a story of electronic makers.
Last edited by bh49 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My problem with the budget knives is that the steels are generally garbage. I haven't tried Spyderco 8Cr13MoV but it's disappointed me by every other company I have tried it from. It's very likely it's just a heat treat quality issue, but manufacturing in China is tough. I just watched a video where Sal and Eric talked about how the Byrd brand is with a manufacturer whose quality isn't quite as high as others they work with but is still fairly good. There aren't a lot of good quality knife manufacturers that cost little. You hurt the Spyderco brand releasing less than stellar knives just to have something at a lower cost.

I think knives like the Rhino are a perfect compromise. Very good lock, high quality materials, blade steel that is quite good at a low cost.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fanch_Man,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

Wow! Thank you, sir, for the welcome! And thank the rest of you once again for all the excellent ideas! I just love this board. I've been out for too long, but I'm glad to be back.

In the interim, I've conceded that all the naysayers were right...there's no way I'll be able to stick to just 5 Spydies! The short list has grown to a D'fly, 75mm Persian, Kiwi, Mantra, Manbug, and maybe the Firefly. And I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for that upcoming Lil' Nilakka and mini Vallotton! (...and hopefully that Blue G-10 Delica sprint...)
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I agree the Dragonfly2 is a great small knife. However, I would really encourage you to check out a Cricket. It's one of the handiest, useful blades I've ever owned. Great for cutting coupons, clam packs, opening boxes, and even cutting thick cardboard. Very thin and light, but comfortable in my hands. I love the shape of the handle and blade. I don't see it mentioned a lot, with all the new designs. But a perfect knife to carry all day, every day. Truly a classic little knife! Look into one!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Detdaddy wrote:I agree the Dragonfly2 is a great small knife. However, I would really encourage you to check out a Cricket. It's one of the handiest, useful blades I've ever owned. Great for cutting coupons, clam packs, opening boxes, and even cutting thick cardboard. Very thin and light, but comfortable in my hands. I love the shape of the handle and blade. I don't see it mentioned a lot, with all the new designs. But a perfect knife to carry all day, every day. Truly a classic little knife! Look into one!
I recently bought the blue Nishijin Cricket kind of on a whim (good price) and I agree that it's a handy little knife. It mostly resides in my desk drawer but I also carry it sometimes instead of my Manbug. I'll probably end up with a FRN Cricket one of these days.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For me and most won't agree is the one Small Spyder I'm carrying today and that is my old, original, 2003 era blue PE Dodo :cool: . Funny I should see this thread in a timely manner because something really compelled me to go to my footlocker and pop the original blue PE Dodo and EDC it today. It amazes me how versatile the Dodo is for Every Day Carry (EDC) and how many cutting jobs I can do with a blade that is so small in comparison with most of my Spyder EDC folders.

Oh there are other great small Spyderco models I could name that I like and I also give honorable mention to the Cricket the old SPUR model from ages ago. But the creator of this thread is so right on because I've said for years that Spyderco is truly the king of Small blades. Even their small fixed blades like the SPOT and the Zwick are both great in their own rite. Very interesting responses so far. Sure are a lot of fans for the Dragonfly again :cool: