Sage 3 Stiff Lock/Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
microtech85

Sage 3 Stiff Lock/Review

Post by microtech85 »

Hello,

I just purchased a new sage 3 in carbon fiber from a local authorized spyderco retailer. The bolt lock on it is quite stiff. the studs really dig into my thump in finger just to disengage it. I can only do it a few times before my thumb starts to feel a little raw. My question is, is this normal? And will it break in and get looser over time? I have applied some rem oil just to check off lube as an issue. Otherwise, my first impressions are positive. I find it to be a nice middle ground between my native 5 g10 and my 940-1. The blade length is just right for my use, and the carbon fiber pattern on the handle is very pretty. Best of all, the handle has plenty of grip for an edc knife, yet is smooth enough not to cause excessive wear to my pockets. The wire clip has excellent retention and is very discreet. It becomes a little more difficult to draw from pocket because of how deep it sits, but it is a worthy trade off for discreet carry at the office and in public. Besides the stiffness, I like the bolt action lock. It is similar to the benchmade axis, but I get the impression that it will be a more durable lock. My 940-1 axis lock just broke 3 days ago after only 7 months of ownership. (it was purchased new from authorized retailer). The lock still works on the benchmade since it appears as though only one of the two omega springs broke, so the knife is still usable, so at least there is some redundancy in the design which can get you by until you can have service. Also, another nice thing about the sage 3 is how smooth the blade opens and closes, plus it does not make nearly as loud of a sound as the native 5 does when the lock engages. It seems to me that part of the reason the blade pivots so smoothly is because the bolt lock does not put very much pressure on the tang of the blade, so there is relatively little friction compared to other locking designs. However, the slight downside of that is that the blade is a little bit easier to open unintentionally compared to other lock types.
jabba359

Re: Sage 3 Stiff Lock/Review

Post by jabba359 »

Are you using just your thumb to disengage the lock? I know the axis locks are designed to be disengaged with only one finger on one side, but I believe the bolt action is supposed to be used with two fingers (one on each side). The lock on my Sage 3, while possible to disengage with one finger, is very difficult to do so and I'm sure would get sore as well after just a few closings. A finger on each side, though, and it's a breeze.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Welcome,
I have the same CF Sage 3. Mine came smooth brand new. Not quite like an axis lock but pretty **** smooth. I honestly haven't had a chance to even use it.
Several months ago, I bought a Sage 1 (liner lock). The knife was not very smooth. More to do with opening/closing. I had handled several new Sage 1s before and all the others were smoother. I assumed the worst and thought there was a problem. I asked questions on forum. Basically, I did nothing but carry it and use it a little (lot of opening/closing). I may have given it a blast of canned air to remove any possible debris. I don't think debris was the problem though. In about 7-10 days, the knife was much smoother. Now, it's extremely smooth and one of my favorites. I bought a second Sage 1 that was very smooth new out of box.
I've heard that on some Taichung (and others) knives the tolerances are very close and they may need some break in time. Makes sense to me. I'd give it a little more time and continue to open and close knife. You could try using some canned air and see if you can blow out any possible hidden debris causing the lock to be stiff. People have recommended washing out a knife with mild soap and warm water to remove possible debris also. I'd dry the entire knife well (canned air etc) including all around lock area and then oil lightly. There's a lot of places for moisture to hide in that knife. However, I would wait on washing it and just give it more time. I'm not sure what your return policy is time wise.
There are people on here much more knowledgeable then me and I assume they will chime in.
I hate to hear about broken omega springs. Sorry about your 940. At least you have a good attitude. I still have a few BMs with axis lock. I always use my thumb and finger to disengage both bolt and axis locks. It seem like the lock (springs) would be getting uneven pressure only using one thumb or finger. IDK-It may not matter at all. It's no big deal for me using both thumb and finger anyway.
Good Luck Tom
remnar

Post by remnar »

The lock on my Sage 3 was also stiff at first but it did loosen up a little with use.
microtech85

Post by microtech85 »

Thanks for the responses. I do in fact use my thumb and finger to operate the bolt lock, just as I do with my axis lock. I didn't proof read before I posted so that fact was not conveyed. The lock is easy to manipulate when the blade is closed, but when it is when I try to disengage the lock that I encounter some gritty resistance or jerkiness (if that's a word). I notice that the sage 3 is a pretty wide knife. From the photos I see online, it appears wider than the sage 1 and 2. I measured my sage 3 at its widest point to 1.781" and 1.531" measured inline with the center of the bolt that holds on the clip. Can anyone post the width of sage 1 and 2? For comparison the native 5 g10 is 1.421" at widest point and 1.234" inline with center of lanyard hole. Those are my measurements taken with a General Tool Brand Model 300 ruler.
Thanks, Jon
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Measured at the widest point with my B&S dial caliper:

Sage 1: 1.553"
Sage 2: 1.574"
Sage 3: 1.771

(Bad) Pic for visual reference:

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, it sounds like there's some difficulty in the interface between the bolt and the tang where it locks into. Perhaps there is some debris in there, or an unfinished surface. I imagine that might wear away with time, but I can't say for sure. Mine came flawless and has remained flawless. The smoothest and easiest to use of any lock I've experienced, including the Axis lock. I have a CRKT bolt lock knife and it is just as smooth. The bolt lock is my favorite lock.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
microtech85

Post by microtech85 »

An update to my review: The knife has broken in very well. The lock is now very smooth and noticeably easier to disengage now. Not only that, but the blade deployment is just so smooth, I would say as smooth, or smoother than my 940-1. I am very pleased with the carbon fiber laminate on this knife. The scales are very temperature neutral and are also very scratch resistant. However, the biggest advantage I see with the carbon fiber minate is its traction. It has just enough texture to ensure a very solid grip, while at the same time, is smooth enough to not ruin my pants pockets the way g10 does. However, my biggest drawback on this knife is its width. It is very wide when closed and for that reason I cannot comfortably carry it in my pants with small pockets. When I wear the pants with small pockets, I switch to the stainless delica that I just bought, or my 940-1. I hope this helps anyone who is deciding between the many sages.
Attachments
Sage 3-9786.jpg
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

My Sage 3 was smooth as butter to operate the bolt lock right from the first swich....