Spyderchef size??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: Spyderchef size??

Post by SpeedHoles »

Well now we know the anticipated production size!
To the dismay of some, it is smaller than the custom may have lead on to.
But, near perfect for me. :)
Mr Blonde wrote:I often use, or test, new folders in the kitchen which is why I’m very anxious to try out this purpose driven design by Marcin Slysz. The SpydieChef sported some cool ergonomics and I’d love to try out the LC200N steel. It’s supposedly almost rust proof, but tempered to offer better edge holding than a plain edge H1 blade.

Specifications
Overall Length: 20 cm / 7.87 inches
Blade Length: 8,5 cm / 3.34 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 107 grams / 3.77 ounces
Going back to Caly.
LC Kid

Awesome SpydieChef!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

For me the blade size in 3.34 inches looks pretty nice for it's intended use, and it even delivers a lot of versatility for general use too. :spyder:

I think this final version really resembles the original Custom. And giving it's a Production Sample we should get on the shelves during this year.

My only concern regarding the original is the Ti finish. It looks Sandblasted to me, instead of Stonewashed:

But of course it isn't a deal breaker. :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

It's a beautiful knife, with voluptuous organic curves... but I've got to wonder how many people are already considering grinding the spine down to more of a point?
A la Mantra 2...?

Is LC200 more or less brittle than S30V? Anyone with a Tusk have any idea/experience?
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I actually like the blade shape, kinda reminds me of the pingo, but agree with some others about the blade being a tad short, I prefer blades between 3.5 - 4 inches but still a pretty sexy looking piece and I'm sure I will end up buying one, I swear Spydies are like crack. ;) :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SpeedHoles wrote:It's a beautiful knife, with voluptuous organic curves... but I've got to wonder how many people are already considering grinding the spine down to more of a point?
A la Mantra 2...?

Is LC200 more or less brittle than S30V? Anyone with a Tusk have any idea/experience?
It's going to be a more than decent stabber.If you draw an imaginary line from the tip to the handle you'll se how high the tip is placed .I love the blade shape and I am not going to mess with it.As it is, it's a very versatile blade shape.
As a side note I'm curious how does lcd200n sharpen.I have the feeling that it's going to be very thin behind the edge and I'm also interested in the edge stability
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

G'day Surfingringo
Surfingringo wrote:Does anyone who was at the Amsterdam meet remember the size of the Spyderchef? I am assuming over a 4" blade? I am very excited about this knife and the fact that they are doing it in lc200n is a huge plus in my book. I will likely buy two of these. One for the kitchen and one that I would regrind into a folding fillet knife for my kayak fishing. I've already been playing with drawings! :cool:
I can understand why you would want a folding "kitchen knife" for your Kayak, but I really can't understand why anyone would want a folding knife for dedicated kitchen duty, when there are a **** load of fixed blade knives that are less expensive and are designed for kitchen duty?

BTW, does anyone reckon this guy needs a more expensive knife than the Victorinox he is using ?...https://youtu.be/xijmge8_NJw

Or how about this Kiwi guy.... https://youtu.be/I8TBvkcSeFk

Notice that a couple of slow swipes along a butchers steel is all he needed to restore the edge?

As I have always said...skill with a knife, will always be more more important than the brand of knife or type of steel used.

Mick :eek:
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I love the shape for the kitchen. That upswept blade is going to work a treat. I reground one of my Mule handles, losing the guard and taking so much steel off the edge side of the handle that it got a half inch shorter. It's still lousy as a kitchen knife because of the blade/handle angle. If I hadn't epoxied the handle on, I'd grind even more and forget about making it a full-tang handle. This one is going to rock. I'd probably only use it camping, though, since it's a folder.

Gordon
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Here it is compared to Slysz Bowie. SpydeChef's cutting edge is a bit longer. Pre-production piece but I'm sure it's final production design:

swigert

Post by swigert »

PiterM wrote:Here it is compared to Slysz Bowie. SpydeChef's cutting edge is a bit longer. Pre-production piece but I'm sure it's final production design:

Wow amazing picture. Have you heard any more about possible release date and production timing?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like that, thanks for the pics PiterM, looks like a winner for sure.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's identical to the one I handled at the OKCA show. A bit smaller than I was expecting (I had my Slysz Bowie on me and did an immediate side by side). LC200N and the same high F&F as the SB and Techno. The blade was incredibly upswept, more than I thought it would be, and much more so than a Pingo. It actually took me by surprise how curved it was, I'll definitely need to handle one more to form a more solid opinion on it. I did not hear any mention of release date, but it's this year for sure I'd wager. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Sweet picture, my Mastercard is already looking for a place to hide...
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

While I've taken a break from titanium fame locks, that will change when this knife comes out.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Few more photos of pre-production sample from polish forum knives.pl (user: pecado)

Differences to original design are extra lineyard tube (originaly there was no tube - only wholes).
Anather question is -- why there is no steel insert in the flamelock?
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

OK, let's see one more last pic (before the full release to slaes), this time a forest theme with my traditional bow as a backdrop.... yeah, it's really sexy folder :D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That blade shape is amazing. I'd love to have that same blade in another knife with a more negative angle for EDC, but the current angle will be great for food prep. It's a bummer it won't be at least 4 inches though, I get tomatoes and onions that are thicker than 3.4 inches.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Evil D wrote:That blade shape is amazing. I'd love to have that same blade in another knife with a more negative angle for EDC, but the current angle will be great for food prep. It's a bummer it won't be at least 4 inches though, I get tomatoes and onions that are thicker than 3.4 inches.

*starts shopping for produce with measuring calipers. :p
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Evil D wrote:That blade shape is amazing. I'd love to have that same blade in another knife with a more negative angle for EDC, but the current angle will be great for food prep. It's a bummer it won't be at least 4 inches though, I get tomatoes and onions that are thicker than 3.4 inches.

*starts shopping for produce with measuring calipers. :p
I like it when one slice of tomato/onion covers my whole burger :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

100% agree with this. I can't overstate how much I love that blade shape for its intended purpose. It would make it incredibly easy to achieve and maintain the rolling motion with your wrist to quickly slice produce, strips of meat, what have you. The belly on it is amazing. I also agree that it's sort of disappointing that the blade length is what it is, but I'm thinking that Sal probably wanted to err on the side of caution in terms of compliance with various carry laws, because he knows that there are going to be a ton of people that will want to EDC this blade, and anything over 3.5 inches could get a bit dicey in terms of state laws, depending on where the customer is located. It's easier to keep it under that. I also think that's why the curve on the blade is so pronounced. It's going to maximize cutting edge area while keeping the blade under that 3.5 inch length. Brilliant design, really. I will absolutely be picking one of these up. Is there any more info regarding when it might be available?
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

The more I look at this knife, the more I'm falling in love with that blade shape. I'm going to HAVE to own one of these, as I do a fair bit of food prep/cooking, and this just looks easier to use than the Henckels that my gf prefers. Is there any sort of pre-order list that we can place our names on or anything?