Spyderco One Piece Tool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: Spyderco One Piece Tool

Post by Blerv »

Mad Mac wrote:As long as it has a beer bottle opener, I'm in.
Ya know...the opening hole with a small tab would work for that. :)

I have a couple of these Bottlehooks from Corter Leather. Without copying designs (of course) I think they could incorporate a clip, opener, and prybar into a nice single piece tool. Maybe even with a tiny kydex protector so you don't scratch your phone or leg while it's clipped. However they want to go, I would buy one.

gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

A one piece prybar/opener with a clip would make a mighty fine money clip. (I know many use one of the smaller knives for this but many places aren't knife friendly)

Grizz
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I keep a county comm 4" widgy on me every day for popping cast iron inspection covers. It's tough and cheap enough. I also have a Boker mini-bar, which is too gorgeous and expensive to use for virtually anything.
In the world of the £5 gerber shard, a Spydie OPT would be a tough one to pitch except as a collectible.
I would buy one, though!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I need a bottle opener and a pry bar. Those are my demands. The rest of the features I'll leave up to you guys. :D
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

Yes. I'd definitely buy one of these. Sal, if you make it, you will have my $$$.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

If you are thirsty and can't wait for the OPT Spyderco cap lifter,
there is the ClipiTool with bottle opener. Cheers!

Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

This would be very useful indeed...
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

PM1 wrote:I like this one-piece tool idea, but keep it simple. Bottle opener and prytool and that's it. It should be sleek and cool. There are many multi-tools that are too busy. If Spyderco makes a one-piece tool it shouldn't try to outdo other tools with extras. If it does one or two things well, looks good, feels good in the hand and carries well, that is enough.

Agreed.

Simpler the better.

I am never going to be torqing bolts with a keychain.

Make some in a nice tough tool steel. This alone would start to set it apart from the rest...
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Here's one I carry sometimes, pretty simple but useful.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:Here's one I carry sometimes, pretty simple but useful.

Looks nice and utilitarian.
I carry one from Machine Era, as well as a Munroe mega dangler for my car key. Either can get done the light prying or fiddling that I may need to mess with when caught off guard with no other tools.
I like the 1" & 25mm scale on the Machine Era tool, helps for sizing things on the fly.

But, along with those, and yours pictured, and others already mentioned like all the expensive Atwood tools, Lynch all access pass, to the low cost boker toucan, nitize, etc, etc., it seems the market is flooded with many options!
The question really is, how can Spyderco make a simple one piece tool that sets itself apart? Might be quite difficult to accomplish without just looking like they're jumping on a bandwagon to cash in on a trend.
Going back to Caly.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

I wouldn't mind a Spyderco/Atwood collab.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea I hear you speed, they definitely need to come up with something unique, shape, function, material, something, I'm sure the creative genius that is spyderco could come up with something special.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I still think the bug logo is a good base to start making a tool from

I also agree
There's many makers I'd like to see collaborations with

Attwood,ttpockettools,leatherman, brous, etc etc

My one piece tool is used almost as much as my blade.

I'd really like to see something come out from this topic

I know I got a place in my education for one.

I got plenty of ideas in my head to turn the bug logo into a great little tool.

:spyder:
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

farnorthdan wrote:Here's one I carry sometimes, pretty simple but useful.

Nice one Dan.

I've been carrying a brous bmt I got to get a good picture of yet.

I'm sure most of us here carry some sort of a opt. I'm also sure most of us would buy the spyderco one piece tool
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Prying or scraping with a high quality knife is a great way to ruin the edge on the knife, making it not very useful as a knife. yet oftentimes you need to pry, scrape, poke, etc.

A simple and utilitarian tool pocket pry tool like the one @farnorthdan shared above - as envisioned by the Spyderco folks - would be great.

Something big enough to get a decent grip on, but not too big to carry.

it doesn't need to do 100 things, in fact the simpler the better...

I carry a Schrade keychain pry tool (here's a brief review I did on it recently)

The Schrade isn't bad, it's light and very handy, and for $25 it's been a great value and saved my Military and other blades from scraping/prying.

yet it's a bit too short to get a decent grip on (probably 4" is perfect), and the **** "wire cutter" just digs into your finger and keeps you from getting a good grip as well lol.

Dan

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DansGunBlog wrote:
Dan

This looks like Domo-kun got run over by a steam roller while smiling. :p

Here's an old shot of a few randoms that have hung from my keychains... still carrying the middle and the dangler... occasionally the snap-on.
Going back to Caly.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Giving the EDC trendy on Pocket Tools Spyderco should really consider about presenting some In House version for such gadget. :spyder:

And since there's previous experience with multitools it shouldn't be difficult. :)

Don't take my pic as a formal suggestion, but this Spyderco fan, user and collector EDCs some Atwoods since the last few years on a daily basis:

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Maybe an Atwood partnership like the many knife partnerships, instead of starting from scratch?

Hopefully with a focus is on a minimalist tool... i.e. a usable pocket pry / scrape tool :)

sal

Post by sal »

If I had my "druthers", I'd druther have a design contest here. Have to speak with legal about the ramifications. Then those with designs already can enter as can arm-chair designers.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:If I had my "druthers", I'd druther have a design contest here. Have to speak with legal about the ramifications. Then those with designs already can enter as can arm-chair designers.

sal
Love the idea.