Spyderco YouTube Reviews

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Spyderco YouTube Reviews

Post by sal »

Hi Wavester,

Welcome "back" to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time spent here. Perhaps we may even "adjust" your values regarding counterfeits?

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I must say that i see collecting fugazi knives as having a collection of autographed movie star pictures you signed yourself :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Larry_Mott wrote:I must say that i see collecting fugazi knives as having a collection of autographed movie star pictures you signed yourself :)
Well said and true.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hi wavester and welcome to the forum :)

Just a thought, when you post your videos put them all in one thread, call it "wavesters youtube video reviews", or something. That way all your links are in one place and can be easily found for future reference and comment :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
remnar

Post by remnar »

Hello wavester,

The first post of yours that I viewed was your Techno vs fake Techno review. I did find the information useful but also noticed that you were promoting the fake to those that don't want to pay the price for the real thing. There were also several people in the comments that asked where they could buy the fake, and I'm assuming you PM'd the information to them. This was a big turn off for me.:( I have been ignoring all of your other posts until now. I don't even know why I opened this one, but I'm glad that I did. I now see that you at least tried to start off on the right foot. I would like to second Johnnie's suggestion of putting all of your videos in one thread, or at least one thread for each sub forum (General Discussion, Off Topic, Fakes). Have a nice night. :) :spyder:
Last edited by remnar on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studey

Post by Studey »

You know what? I clicked on the link, and the first 28 videos listed were all about 'clones.' If you think counterfeits are cool, and buy them and review them, don't bother posting reviews here.

I'll be blunt and say that it isn't just distasteful or a turn off...you're supporting thieves, and for you to come here sharing videos of Spydercos is hypocritical to say the least. You have multiple videos showing your clear support for people stealing from Spyderco. More specifically, from Sal, who is being so gracious to you here.
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

Thanks Sal - I am honored to have a reply from you and I have been collecting authentic Spyderco knives for 20 years now. Always been a big fan.

Regards,
Joe
sal wrote:Hi Wavester,

Welcome "back" to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time spent here. Perhaps we may even "adjust" your values regarding counterfeits?

sal
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

You obviously have not look over the site. What about all the reviews of authentic Spyderco knives? What about the deal alerts for Authentic Spyderco knives? You seemed to have missed that.
Studey wrote:You know what? I clicked on the link, and the first 28 videos listed were all about 'clones.' If you think counterfeits are cool, and buy them and review them, don't bother posting reviews here.

I'll be blunt and say that it isn't just distasteful or a turn off...you're supporting thieves, and for you to come here sharing videos of Spydercos is hypocritical to say the least. You have multiple videos showing your clear support for people stealing from Spyderco. More specifically, from Sal, who is being so gracious to you here.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Wavester:

Before things go too far, I think it's probably a good idea to provide some guidance.

First of all, there are only three moderators on the Spyderco forum: Sal, TazKristi, and me. If you're looking for official guidance from Spyderco, it will come from one of us.

Your reviews of genuine Spyderco products are welcome here. They are more welcome if you would please take the time to be a bit more interactive with your fellow forumites when posting them. A stand-alone link to a review on your YouTube page is an "abrupt" format for a post. Embedding the video in your post so forumites don't have to leave the forum to see it and prefacing it with a bit of cordial text would help a lot. A simple, "Hey, Guys: I just did a review of a Spyderco __________ and thought you might enjoy it. Here you go..." would go a long way toward maintaining the type of casual, interactive atmosphere we promote here.

One of the challenges we face all the time is the problem of affiliate marketing and people who "review" our products with the sole intent of pointing viewers toward a purchase link that allows the "reviewer" to profit from a sale. We don't support reviews like that because they are not impartial and are based on ulterior motives. If we become aware of that type of review, we will delete it from the forum.

Reviews of non-Spyderco products are also welcome, but should be posted on the "Off-Topic" forum, as that forum is a more appropriate venue--as its name implies.

Reviews of counterfeit Spyderco products are not welcome, as they support an industry that undermines our hard-earned reputation. Reviews of counterfeit knives or videos promoting them will be deleted. Since you include a substantial number of reviews of counterfeit knives on your YouTube channel, we again prefer that you embed your reviews of genuine Spyderco products into your posts so forumites can view them selectively.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

Thanks for the reply Michael!

If/when I post any future reviews for Spyderco or non-Spyderco knives, I will follow your guidelines.
I will need to practice up on my embedding of videos.

Are you OK with the posting of each review as a separate post? To me that is a lot less cluttered that putting all
reviews/embed in one post.

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Michael Janich wrote:Dear Wavester:

Before things go too far, I think it's probably a good idea to provide some guidance.

First of all, there are only three moderators on the Spyderco forum: Sal, TazKristi, and me. If you're looking for official guidance from Spyderco, it will come from one of us.

Your reviews of genuine Spyderco products are welcome here. They are more welcome if you would please take the time to be a bit more interactive with your fellow forumites when posting them. A stand-alone link to a review on your YouTube page is an "abrupt" format for a post. Embedding the video in your post so forumites don't have to leave the forum to see it and prefacing it with a bit of cordial text would help a lot. A simple, "Hey, Guys: I just did a review of a Spyderco __________ and thought you might enjoy it. Here you go..." would go a long way toward maintaining the type of casual, interactive atmosphere we promote here.

One of the challenges we face all the time is the problem of affiliate marketing and people who "review" our products with the sole intent of pointing viewers toward a purchase link that allows the "reviewer" to profit from a sale. We don't support reviews like that because they are not impartial and are based on ulterior motives. If we become aware of that type of review, we will delete it from the forum.

Reviews of non-Spyderco products are also welcome, but should be posted on the "Off-Topic" forum, as that forum is a more appropriate venue--as its name implies.

Reviews of counterfeit Spyderco products are not welcome, as they support an industry that undermines our hard-earned reputation. Reviews of counterfeit knives or videos promoting them will be deleted. Since you include a substantial number of reviews of counterfeit knives on your YouTube channel, we again prefer that you embed your reviews of genuine Spyderco products into your posts so forumites can view them selectively.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Stay safe,

Mike
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

As a youtuber myself, be sure to follow the 10:1 ratio. That is, post at least 10 normal posts for each one of your videos you post. This isnt a forum rule as far as I know, but it is a good rule of thumb to ensure that you are a part of the community rather than just dumping videos for extra views.
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

Thanks for the advice :)
EDC Honeybee wrote:As a youtuber myself, be sure to follow the 10:1 ratio. That is, post at least 10 normal posts for each one of your videos you post. This isnt a forum rule as far as I know, but it is a good rule of thumb to ensure that you are a part of the community rather than just dumping videos for extra views.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Wavester wrote:Thanks for the reply Michael!

If/when I post any future reviews for Spyderco or non-Spyderco knives, I will follow your guidelines.

Are you OK with the posting of each review as a separate post? To me that is a lot less cluttered that putting all

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Michael Janich wrote:

TO me that is actually more cluttered and I feel others will fell the same. Here's why...

One of the best features of this forum, is the subscription and notification features that actually work well, I'd much rather see a thread titled something like: "Wavester's Review Thread" that you update when you have a new video and that way I can subscribe to it and get post notifications when people post or a new video is added. Also that way if I like the reviews I know where they all are so I can go back to them instead of having to search through a ton of threads to get to the one I'm looking for.

Just my 2 cents....
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Looking at the Techno video and comments section, it looks like you did a good job advertising the clones and helping people to buy the stolen design. For that alone I won't be contributing any more views to your YouTube channel. There are plenty of other good reviewers that don't condone counterfeits and I'd rather drive click-through ad revenue to them.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wavester wrote:
Copy the YouTube page address, and then here on the reply page where all the tool icons are, there's an icon that looks like a "play button" with a gray circle around it. Click that, then paste the address link in the codes that are provided.

They'll look like this:
[color=#FF0000]your link address goes here[/color]

As for several links being cluttered in one thread, I have to disagree. Look in the Picture Gallery sub forum (which is really where this stuff should be posted anyway) and look at all the multi page threads that are being followed and updated. People subscribe to those threads, and when a new post is made they get notified either here on the forum notifications or via email. They will have no problem at all keeping up with your new content. In fact, it would all but guarantee that they see every post you make as long as it's in a thread that they're subscribed to, otherwise they have to sift through all the current thread subjects and find each individual thread you make. I think the likelihood of someone subscribing to each and every one of your threads is slim to none, especially if they only contain a link to a video. There's no discussion to be had that way, and discussion is what we're all here for.

As for promoting clones...well, I'll keep my true feelings on that to myself in honor of the "shiny footprints" mentality, but suffice to say that when a forum has an entire section dedicated to exposing websites that sell fake knives, you're probably in the wrong place to support that sort of thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

Thanks for your suggestions swigert, I will take it under advisement. :)
swigert wrote:
Wavester wrote:Thanks for the reply Michael!

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Michael Janich wrote:

TO me that is actually more cluttered and I feel others will fell the same. Here's why...

One of the best features of this forum, is the subscription and notification features that actually work well, I'd much rather see a thread titled something like: "Wavester's Review Thread" that you update when you have a new video and that way I can subscribe to it and get post notifications when people post or a new video is added. Also that way if I like the reviews I know where they all are so I can go back to them instead of having to search through a ton of threads to get to the one I'm looking for.

Just my 2 cents....
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

I am not monetized - I make no revenue from YT...I only post about clones on my channel because they are part of the Knife world.
jabba359 wrote:Looking at the Techno video and comments section, it looks like you did a good job advertising the clones and helping people to buy the stolen design. For that alone I won't be contributing any more views to your YouTube channel. There are plenty of other good reviewers that don't condone counterfeits and I'd rather drive click-through ad revenue to them.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Wavester wrote:I am not monetized - I make no revenue from YT...I only post about clones on my channel because they are part of the Knife world.
jabba359 wrote:Looking at the Techno video and comments section, it looks like you did a good job advertising the clones and helping people to buy the stolen design. For that alone I won't be contributing any more views to your YouTube channel. There are plenty of other good reviewers that don't condone counterfeits and I'd rather drive click-through ad revenue to them.

Well based on Michaels post above it doesn't matter whether you make money or not through your videos when it comes to posting about the clones here.
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

Thanks Evil D...I totally missed that icon - most sites have something that looks like a film strip for posting videos. If only I had seen this before I started posting it might have help prevented some heat (not all) that I have been getting. :)
Evil D wrote:
Wavester wrote:
Copy the YouTube page address, and then here on the reply page where all the tool icons are, there's an icon that looks like a "play button" with a gray circle around it. Click that, then paste the address link in the codes that are provided.

They'll look like this:
[color=#FF0000]your link address goes here[/color]

As for several links being cluttered in one thread, I have to disagree. Look in the Picture Gallery sub forum (which is really where this stuff should be posted anyway) and look at all the multi page threads that are being followed and updated. People subscribe to those threads, and when a new post is made they get notified either here on the forum notifications or via email. They will have no problem at all keeping up with your new content. In fact, it would all but guarantee that they see every post you make as long as it's in a thread that they're subscribed to, otherwise they have to sift through all the current thread subjects and find each individual thread you make. I think the likelihood of someone subscribing to each and every one of your threads is slim to none, especially if they only contain a link to a video. There's no discussion to be had that way, and discussion is what we're all here for.

As for promoting clones...well, I'll keep my true feelings on that to myself in honor of the "shiny footprints" mentality, but suffice to say that when a forum has an entire section dedicated to exposing websites that sell fake knives, you're probably in the wrong place to support that sort of thing.
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

I never said I planned on posting about clones here. I posted one video about it, showing the difference between the both Technos, to assist others from getting taken. I explained it in my post.
swigert wrote:
Wavester wrote:I am not monetized - I make no revenue from YT...I only post about clones on my channel because they are part of the Knife world.

Well based on Michaels post above it doesn't matter whether you make money or not through your videos when it comes to posting about the clones here.