Gushing about my Southard flipper, and thoughts on what's next.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Gushing about my Southard flipper, and thoughts on what's next.

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hi there, I'm curly!

I'm new to the spyderco forums and to spyderco knives. I'm a lifelong knife knut, having been gifted my first SAK by my father as a youngster. Didn't have much of a budget as a kid, so I used that knife to make maple knives for my friends. Eventually had less time for that, but recently, I've been getting back into the knife world and wow, it's come a long way!

Been building up a small collection of budget folders to figure out which features, patterns, and configurations I like the most. I think I've settled on ball-bearing flippers, but there's definitely exceptions that I like in my collection. Virtually all of them are under $50, most under $30. Got some kershaw, some CRKT, etc.

I had a bit of a high point in my life recently and decided to buy myself a Spyderco as my first 'premium production' folder. After some unpleasant business with some knockoffs shipped by Amazon, I hit up my local knife store for the real deal.

I'm super impressed. It's light and solid, lockup is like a vault, and the geometry is super comfortable for my large hands. I think I want another one to keep for passing along to any kids i have in the future, and I also want to pick up the blacked out version...

I'm not usually a fan of lockbacks because all the ones I've handled eventually develop a pretty annoying amount of blade play. I need more time with spyderco's lockbacks to see if they avoid this issue, but the different types of locks have me excited to explore the whole catalog.

My next purchases? Thinking about the Techno, the Mantra series, maaaaybe the domino/dice siblings? The reasonably-priced rubicon has me unreasonably excited. Hoping that comes out soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
farnorthdan

Re: Gushing about my Southard flipper, and thoughts on what's next.

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your next purchase, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, the Southard, what an introduction! There are lots of flippers out there, but I find this one to be so unique. Welcome to the slippery slope that is Spyderco, enjoy the ride!

You've got your eye on some nice ones that get a lot of love here. I wouldn't fear the lockback, or any lock for that matter. Spydercos are by no means immune to blade play, but the only slop I've experienced is with a ~15 year old knife, and it could probably be corrected if I tightened the pivot. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Welcome to the forum
You came to Spyderco at a good time. Lots of new knives and steels. Plenty of lock choices too.
I've never had a problem with Spyderos locks. My Enduras and Delica lock backs have been great.
I would try a Paramilitary 2 at some point. Great knife with an awesome, unique lock. All the
positive feedback about them is true. They come in a variety of steels and colors combos.
Many great choices
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm here to learn!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!