Pick my last Spydie of 2015!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vlawson

Pick my last Spydie of 2015!

Post by vlawson »

Considering that MAP takes effect in exactly 2 weeks...and that I still have a coupon from Spyderco for 50% off my order that expires on Dec 31st...What should I get before the year ends?

Should I get something that fills a gap in my current line-up...or something I've lusted after, perhaps?

I want to keep the MSRP below $215, but go as low as you'd like (please, my wallet is thin...)

Here's what I already own:

Suggestions...

Lusts:
Sage 1 (love at first feel...started my spyderco binge simply by playing with it on the store...still haven't bought one)
Para 2 (Um, like...duh...)
Yojimbo 2 (BADASS)
matriarch (BAD)
Dragonfly G-10 (I want this one sooooo bad...but I already have an FRN, and it's so expensive, relatively!!)
Toxic Green ladybug (because; zombies.)

Practical gap fillers:
a Byrd or two (for my wallet)
some hawkbill (I hear they rule)
an Endura FFG (Leaning strong towards this one...I don't have any longer bladed folders)
Some other longer blade...Resilience?
Dragonfly 2 H1 Spyder Edge (for climbing)
A fixed blade (Enuff?) (Kitchen?)
Or something that's not a backlock!!
maybe even a non locker?

A man can dream...
Too expensives:
Puukko
Nikkala
Slysz Bowie (!!)
Sage 2 (perhaps a better choice than the Sage 1 because I already have a CF Chap...but too expensive!)
Roc (so hipster)
Caly 3.5

Any other suggestions?!? Pics welcome...
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
vlawson

Re: Pick my last Spydie of 2015!

Post by vlawson »

or maybe a sharpener (already have the sharpmaker...)

What's a good travel kit? Lightweightish and compactish for road trips, car camping and air travel...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd get a Yojimbo 2 or Manix 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Military or Centofante Memory (if you can find one)
You save more by buying the expensive ones ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para2 in any flavor. You'll thank me later
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lightweight native 5 S110V
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Dude, where is your Para2?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

That's the problem with having too many good choices!

the HAP40 sprint Endura (or Delica!) is an obvious suggestion, since this one is only here for a limited time.
as far as pure utility combined with pride of ownership I'd say Sage 1 or D'Fly G10. I own both and don't have any regrets!
Para 2 is a heckuva knife too...
Slipits are relatively cheap, I would go for an Urban LW or the Pingo, maybe both? (N690 is great steel and both of those are real D'fly category LBKs).

My wild card suggestions would be for the 2015 forum N5, or a Kiwi 4, leaning toward the N5 as better value and since it's a limited run.

The good news is that whatever you pick it's going to be a great knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Now that I think about it. If you have 50% off through the Spyderco SFO then buying the 2015 forum knife seems like the most economical option. You should be able to get a great deal on it. Maybe then throw a USN Ladybug in with it.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm a little shocked and appalled that you don't own a para 2. Rectify that immediately.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Now that I think about it. If you have 50% off through the Spyderco SFO then buying the 2015 forum knife seems like the most economical option. You should be able to get a great deal on it. Maybe then throw a USN Ladybug in with it.
You can use two different coupon codes on one order?
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

Spydergirl88 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Now that I think about it. If you have 50% off through the Spyderco SFO then buying the 2015 forum knife seems like the most economical option. You should be able to get a great deal on it. Maybe then throw a USN Ladybug in with it.
You can use two different coupon codes on one order?
I doubt it but 50% is better than the forum code which was, I think, 40%. He could get it for like $80.
-Darby
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I doubt it but 50% is better than the forum code which was, I think, 40%. He could get it for like $80.
My bad :p
Spydergirl88
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Manix2 LW S110v. I can't imagine life without this knife or the soon to be discontinued Gayle Bradley. I never carry my Sage1 because I find the Chaparral that you already have in my pocket instead, and when I reach for a larger knife than the Chap.....

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Dude, where is your Para2?
I'm not a huge PM2 person, but I have to agree. Get the 110V or black CTS-XHP PM2! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

Pretty much leaning towards

PM2
Endura FFG
or DF2 G-10

The Endura is exactly half the price of the PM2....which is a bummer if I get the PM2, but nice if I get the Endura
I think I do want a longer bladed knife ( > 3") so these two stand out...
The Endura is kind of redundant, as far as FRN and backlock and Delica styling...and maybe a bit "boring"
The PM2 has perhaps less utility because it's not quite as long as the Endura. I'd prob often pick the Delica over the PM2 for EDC because it's smaller, and if I needed a bigger blade, then is the PM2 really that much bigger? It's certainly more "cooler" and "fun" but is that worth twice the price? Hmmm.

So, Utility and EDC are my main uses (duh..) but what about Tactical uses? I know, I know, knife fighting is by far the least desirable or probable use...but one of these longer blades could be in that category anyway. Strength between the two? I'm pretty quick at deploying my Delica, but the PM2 seems hard to beat there...

DF2 G-10 is redundant to my current DF2 FRN...and I can't exactly justify the cost, but I love the look!

The Manix, while "cheapish" is too bulky and a bit brutish, in my opinion. The Native just doesn't feel good to me, at least when I played with one next to a Sage 1 months ago...also it's yet another 3" backlock.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Out of your final 3....I have owned all 3 you listed. Hated the endura and sold it. Loved the df2 g10 but sold it. Love the PM2 and still have it.
Spydergirl88
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

vlawson wrote:Pretty much leaning towards

PM2
Endura FFG
or DF2 G-10
PM2 by a long shot IMHO. To quote yourself from the OP: "(Um, like...duh...)" :)
PM1

Post by PM1 »

You won't go wrong if you choose the HAP40 Endura. Since I got mine, I have carried it way more than anything else. I also like the long blade and it is a serious cutter. :cool:

The PM2 is great, but it will be available anytime. Even more than that, there will be non-stop new Sprint options for the PM2. The HAP40 Endura, though, is a one and done, so you don't want to decide 6 months from now that you need one. Strike while the iron is hot. :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You need a Manix 2.