Lets do some yard work the hard way! Manix 2 bush clearing fun

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Lets do some yard work the hard way! Manix 2 bush clearing fun

Post by Evil D »

usar wrote:Pretty Cool never thought a knife can be used in lieu of an AXE !
Anything is possible with enough determination and stupidity lol.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was a little surprised at how dense it seemed. If it were similar to pine, I would expect you to be able to push half way through a 1" branch in one cut.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

usar wrote:Pretty Cool never thought a knife can be used in lieu of an AXE !
Did you see the Cutlery Lover (youtuber) video where he used an Endura to "chop" through a small tree? I don't think I would call it a hard use video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEwydLpomTY
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
usar

Post by usar »

At times In life we have to be creative and utiize what we have in hand you made me a believer to chop that branch I think my swiss Army knife saw could not done a better job than your Knife I am impressed !
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I was a little surprised at how dense it seemed. If it were similar to pine, I would expect you to be able to push half way through a 1" branch in one cut.
Actually some of them I was able to slice clean through up to about an inch. Back when I still had a PE Military I was cutting down sapplings with it around that size in one slice. With the honeysuckle it seemed that the larger the branch got the more hard and dense it got (common with most trees I would think).
Donut

Post by Donut »

It might not be that the wood is more dense, it could be that there is more "stress" from the weight of the branch.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I like knives a lot, but you have to get a curved pruning saw with the Japanese-style teeth. Corona sells a good one. Like a Spyderco folder, these saws punch above their weight. You can also get a hard plastic scabbard for the saw. Tree climbers use these for quickly clearing smaller limbs not worth starting the chainsaw for. Like 2” limbs severed in a very few strokes.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Nice write up. Good experiment Evil D!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I guess I missed this when it first was posted back in 2015!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sometimes it's inspirational when a man uses the wrong tool for the job...!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:29 pm

I think one of the almost defining and cool things about a good EDC folder is just this: It often is the "wrong" or at least not best tool for the job - but still does it pretty well, and for me it is a joy to experience and "get to know" a folder i carry a lot in as many different scenarios as possible (one of the reason why mine get used in things like food prep quite a bit) :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:41 pm
I like knives a lot, but you have to get a curved pruning saw with the Japanese-style teeth. Corona sells a good one. Like a Spyderco folder, these saws punch above their weight. You can also get a hard plastic scabbard for the saw. Tree climbers use these for quickly clearing smaller limbs not worth starting the chainsaw for. Like 2” limbs severed in a very few strokes.

Oh I have at least one of those, I don't remember the brand, it's nothing special but it's at least more effective than a Manix 2 but then doing it the right way wasn't exactly the point. We can test knives in a lot of ways, some guys get out a 2x4 and whittle on it, I just like to actually be productive at another goal at the same time if possible and that bush needed to go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:10 am
Bolster wrote:

I think one of the almost defining and cool things about a good EDC folder is just this: It often is the "wrong" or at least not best tool for the job - but still does it pretty well,

Exactly this. A folding knife is almost always the wrong tool, I mean literally almost every scenario you can think of where something needs cut, humans have invented a tool that is either designed to cut that specific media or there is at least another tool that will cut it more efficiently. A pocket knife is a Jack of all trades and master of none sort of tool, but it's that versatility that makes them useful for a wide variety of tasks.

I think we all share one thing in common, and that's the willingness to compromise on using a less than perfect cutting tool in favor of the convenience of having that tool on us and available at all times. We all have access to razor blade utility knives but most of us probably just use our pocket knives because it's just more fun that way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David