Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Re: Just Another H1 Steel Of Mystery Thread....

Post by sal »

Hi Mtngunr,

All you say is true. How can I help you?

sal
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

@mtngur So,why would you say H1 is "best knife material since flint" ? Being a huge fan of H1 steel I'm just curious.How do you like your PE Salts ?
I often carry a PE Salt1 and I am very happy with it.It doesn't hold an edge like crazy but for my mundane uses it's more than enough.And it's sooo easy to sharpen.But my SE Pac Salt(moded by Surfingringo) is my best allaround folder.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mtngunr wrote: Others and myself have independently suggested grinding heat causes some manner of thin case-harden skin....with H1 being a low carbon, high nitrogen steel (it DOES have enough carbon to qualify as a very low carbon steel), and with those incredibly high hardness numbers, perhaps some manner of nitride coating forming under grinding heat and pressure? Outgassing nitrogen released?
Due to the very high Nickle content, H1 will have a large amount of austenite even at room temperature. This austenite will transform into martensite under the energy/impacts of heavy grinding. This is known as work hardening and it is well known in the industry as a mechanism whereby fairly low alloy steels can achieve high wear resistance because the transformation both reduces the energy of impact and it forms near full hard martensite as a result.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Or possibly because the knife was closed during Tony's "experiment", and the edge, while exposed to more of the chlorine's corrosive action than the clean portion of the tang, was exposed to somewhat less than the rest of the blade.

As with any other steel "best" is highly subjective, since it depend on an individual's wants and needs. Heck, even "good" is pretty much subjective. What works well for a straight razor probably won't work well for a machete and while I wish Spyderco would stop using non-stainless and marginally stainless steels others love and clamor for them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So basically, as long as I don't find myself stuck in an enclosed area full of chlorine tablets, my knife will be fine. LOL.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between S30V serrations and H1 serrations in use. Serrations are a type of edge that I pay especially close attention to not letting them get too dull before I touch them up, so except for a few occasions where I was just lazy, I've never really used a serrated blade until it was so dull it wouldn't cut anymore. However, I do still prefer H1 for serrations because of the toughness factor, and because I can sharpen them on my Dremel all I want without any concern of over heating them, not that I run the Dremel so high that it would anyway, but it's a nice little peace of mind.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mtngunr wrote:As for best, it was plain it was meant as best steel, knife, GP, MED.

Mentioned before, but the world is not made of cardboard and clean wood sticks to shave or rope on a cutting board....

the general use knife around the house and in a real working hands on job rather than button pushing and paper shuffling, will have a knife used for tough and or inappropriate chores.....

i have mentioned my own using the old G2 Clipit to pry up on a spinning countersunk screw whose fixed nut had broken loose below, running an air tool on the fastener while prying....

you need a TOUGH steel to handle that sort of thing or the cut into a hidden piece of wire or steel and not have edge or tip break....a working Joe or Jane knife which can handle it and also harsh weather and wet toolbags or tool boxes with standing water in the drawers....

and a knife which simply holds an average edge is all that is required, and a great help is that when sharpened, it takes a really keen smooth edge like a razor with no fancy gimmicks...

or the neglected household knife left in humid garage or shed for a day or a week.
A knife for the REAL world.....
So you're saying that people like me, who own both pocket knives and tools more suited for prying and would prefer to take an additional minute to fetch the proper tool than to "make do" with an ill suited and inappropriate one, are living in some sort of alternate, fantasy, world? :rolleyes:
Paul
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

elena86 wrote:@mtngur So,why would you say H1 is "best knife material since flint" ? Being a huge fan of H1 steel I'm just curious.How do you like your PE Salts ?
I often carry a PE Salt1 and I am very happy with it.It doesn't hold an edge like crazy but for my mundane uses it's more than enough.And it's sooo easy to sharpen.But my SE Pac Salt(moded by Surfingringo) is my best allaround folder.
Sorry as to take so long to get back with you....been busy fending off the attacks of the school of killer smart....alecs....

I just discovered the stuff and how near titanium tough and yet holds an edge as well as a ho hum normal steel and will never rust
..that is a miracle for the normal working stiff.

I have a serrated up next but not here yet....truthfully i have not much use for serrated, but a couple of times invaluable...such as ancient stuck at both ends 5" diameter reinforced rubber hose where you cannot get to stuck ends and clamps until bulk of hose removed....so i have one coming and in satin while i can....you take care and thanks for friendly reply which seems scarce here.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mtngunr wrote:..
So you're saying that people like me, who own both pocket knives and tools more suited for prying and would prefer to take an additional minute to fetch the proper tool than to "make do" with an ill suited and inappropriate one, are living in some sort of alternate, fantasy, world? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I forget...
some people have every tool for every job, no matter how remote, right at hand.....must be nice having a portable garage to drag all over the flightline or behind the bragmobile..
The rest of us working stiffs make do what it is the bag or box we have handy.....gotta love a society where people try to insult you with cartoons...rollyes...
and exactly what else do you have handy with a knife edge which can get under a fastener head....besides a knife?.....just asking.

..[/quote]

Man, I gotta say, when you pull in the "working stiff" BS, you're really making an *** of yourself. I know plenty of "working stiffs" who use the proper tools for the job. Having the right tools doesn't make you rich, it means you're doing the job the right way. If you can afford to spend ~$75 for a pocket knife, then you can afford to buy the right tools for the job. If nothing else, you should be able to afford a half decent multi tool that you can hang off your belt and have with you every second of every day (as long as you're wearing pants) and it has a whole assortment of tools that would be better to use than your pocket knife. If a guy truly has to make the argument that his knife is the only tool he has to do a job, then he isn't qualified to do that job in the first place.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Evil D wrote:So basically, as long as I don't find myself stuck in an enclosed area full of chlorine tablets, my knife will be fine. LOL.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between S30V serrations and H1 serrations in use. Serrations are a type of edge that I pay especially close attention to not letting them get too dull before I touch them up, so except for a few occasions where I was just lazy, I've never really used a serrated blade until it was so dull it wouldn't cut anymore. However, I do still prefer H1 for serrations because of the toughness factor, and because I can sharpen them on my Dremel all I want without any concern of over heating them, not that I run the Dremel so high that it would anyway, but it's a nice little peace of mind.
It was funny with that original thread some respondents DID say things like "wow, and was just getting ready to get in pool with mine...thanks for warning!"

Sorta like some in this thread not reading my entire statement and getting snooty....

I am with you on the tough....i love the bend test Sal did....when i saw that blade, i said "gotta git me somma dat!...and holds an edge like AUS?...and not rust?!.....WHERE DO I SIGN?"

And there are a zillion blue collar guys outside on a pole or roof or horizontal stab with wet tools in a bag and zip tie or wire to cut and dikes nowhere to be found who have never heard of this stuff....i could get rid of a dozen silver blade black handle Delica plain edge Salts in a single day at work....if they knew...and knife not discontinued...mechanics have enough invisible tools and want no more, especially all black....yellow is wrong color for greasy hands.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

This forum is all yours...such friendly people i just do not deserve..
Enjoy your profanity and cartoons...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mtngunr wrote:gotta love a society where people try to insult you with cartoons...rolleyes..
Pot calling the kettle black. Since you arrived here, you're been only too willing to pin insulting labels on anyone whose views are different from your own.
Paul
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mtngunr wrote:
Uhh...Cliff.....when was the last time you heard of such a transformation only on the outer skin of a metal?
That is where it happens during abrasion as the abrasion is happening only on the outer layer hence that is the only part subject to the heat/energy. The depth of hardening is typically on the scale of the size of the abrasive. I have posted/references papers on this forum before showing those types of changes in steel.

It is also obvious to people who do a lot of drilling or working of steel. The 300 series of stainless steels will work harden (same method they are high nickle steels) and the method to drill has to be changes to reduce the heat build up. However if you don't then it is readily noticeable that the steel only hardens immediately adjacent to the area of contact.
....would not this make carburizing and nitriting a thing of the past?.
No because there are many differences, cost for example. It is possible to carburize a simple mild steel and have it match the performance of high carbon tool in many applications but the cost is not at all comparable.

In the same way, yhy doesn't Spyderco just make a plain edge H1 blade and grind it so it has the same CATRA performance as the serrated one. Sal has noted there are cost implications.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mtngunr wrote: I forget...
some people have every tool for every job, no matter how remote, right at hand.....must be nice having a portable garage to drag all over the flightline or behind the bragmobile..
Even if your argument was true, that it isn't practical for tradesmen and other "blue collar" guys to carry a multitude of knives so they need knives for prying, hammering, scraping and digging - then surely you realize that the "real world" isn't just made out of those people. There are other jobs and other people who work them and they could therefore need/value other steels even if your argument was sound. If you jump into a group of people and claim the only ones that work the same job that you do are in the "real world" then its kind of obvious that they are likely to get upset .