Steel Info Request: SUS 410

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Steel Info Request: SUS 410

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I tried looking up the properties of this steel but I'm pretty lousy at deciphering the steel charts n such.

It looks like SUS 410 is being used as the laminate steel on the Endura/Delica Hap40 Sprints. Does anyone know anything about SUS 410? How tough is it, how stainless is it? Specifically, is it harder than 420J2?

Thanks!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
araneae

Re: Steel Info Request: SUS 410

Post by araneae »

Well it is 10 less than 420 and has a couple more S's and a U. Hard to say if that makes it harder or not.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would imagine it's more stainless and more soft than the HAP40, otherwise I wouldn't see the point in using it as a clad. Also a general note that increasing hardness can decrease toughness, if by toughness you mean the material property. Is the photo of the bent SB Endura on your mind?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

tvenuto wrote:I would imagine it's more stainless and more soft than the HAP40, otherwise I wouldn't see the point in using it as a clad. Also a general note that increasing hardness can decrease toughness, if by toughness you mean the material property. Is the photo of the bent SB Endura on your mind?
No I'm interested in its comparison to 420J2 as that's what's currently being used on knives like the Caly 3.5, super blue delica/endura etc..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

410 is a low carbon martensite stainless steel, C < 0.15 %. 420 is considered the high carbon version of 410 as it has a minimum of 0.15% carbon. 420HC is consider in the knife industry as the high carbon version of 420. 410 is more corrosion resistant than 420, tougher and easier to grind/machine. This also means it is weaker and easier to bend/deform.

However even 420 in a clad is so soft/weak that you can bend them pretty easily even in heavy cutting if you tend to twist/pry in heavy materials like thick plastic. The first time you use one of them you likely are going to bend it if you are used to Western style knives and fairly rigorous cutting. For Japanese style knives, such uses would be consider fairly abusive.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Liquid Cobra wrote:No I'm interested in its comparison to 420J2 as that's what's currently being used on knives like the Caly 3.5, super blue delica/endura etc..
Ha ok. I'm aware of that. Surely you have some outcome in mind? Some reason you wonder why it's (got the potential to be run) harder than 420J2?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

So long as the 410 doesn't scratch up as much as the 420j I'll be happy :) I'm looking forward to these knives but I'm not sure whether to get the Delica or Endura, I don't think I can afford both :(
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cliff Stamp wrote:410 is more corrosion resistant than 420, tougher and easier to grind/machine.
If this is true...
Johnnie1801 wrote:So long as the 410 doesn't scratch up as much as the 420j I'll be happy :)
...then this is not.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

And that's what I'm afraid of.

@liquid_cobra
Invective

Post by Invective »

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They look to be pretty similar, but SUS410 has less carbon and molybdenum.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

tvenuto wrote:Is the photo of the bent SB Endura on your mind?
I can't get it out of mine, and for that reason I am going Delica. I will be less tempted to abuse it if it's a smaller blade. You shoulda seen what I did to my Military the other day...

Scratches aren't that big of a concern to me, which is good since there will surely be many on such a soft steel. I wonder why they used it over 420. Cost, or is it somehow more compatible with HAP40?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

PayneTrain wrote:I can't get it out of mine, and for that reason I am going Delica. I will be less tempted to abuse it if it's a smaller blade. You shoulda seen what I did to my Military the other day...

Scratches aren't that big of a concern to me, which is good since there will surely be many on such a soft steel. I wonder why they used it over 420. Cost, or is it somehow more compatible with HAP40?
Yea I haven't had any problems with my SB Delica, and I've used it pretty extensively, so I was pretty surprised by that photo. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a "hard user" though, definitely no prying. I'm also not concerned with scratches.

I would imagine it has something to do with heat-treat compatibility, but I trust spyderco. The G10 SG run was delayed due to steel issues according to Sal (if memory serves), so I have every confidence that if they're releasing something they're confident in it.