found an interesting knife today. need opinions please.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mp2go1

found an interesting knife today. need opinions please.

Post by mp2go1 »

one of my friends has a spyderco damascus?stainless handles w/zowada steel.the clip is like the pro grips. ive never seen this before and was wondering how rare it was and if it is worth the $150 he is trying to sell it for. its a small knife that looks like a hummingbird. please let me know. thanks in advance.

speak less than you know, have more than you show.
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

look here:<A HREF="http://www.ted.tweakdsl.nl/spyderco/history.html">Teds page</A> under 1989, Model 3002 "spyderkeys and humingbirds"
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Based on your note, I believe you have the "better-half" of the 1992 Evolution Set that included a 2 screw Worker and the zowada damascus Worker. I've seen the set go for $350 plus on Ebay and original retail was $450 plus.

A handful of the damascus workers were sold individually as seconds if I remember correctly. I've seen a couple of the single Zowada Workers trade over the last year or so in the $100 to $160 range on Ebay. Spyderco originally planned to make 1000 Evolution Sets, but ended up distributing less due to some sort of production issue.

SR
mp2go1

Post by mp2go1 »

thanks for the replys. i think it is a zowada damascus worker. how could you tell if it is a second or just one of the knives from the set? markings,etc.1992 limited production makes it fairly rare and possibly a good addition to the collection.what do all of you think?

speak less than you know, have more than you show.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Spyderco normally puts a tiny OK looking notch at the base of the cutting edge on its 2nds.

SR
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

We did sell some seconds/irregulars in the mid-90s of the Zowada Worker. They were sold singly, not paired with the 2-screwed Worker that made up the Evolution Set. They were pieces that had irregular or imperfect Damascus. I cannot remember how many or what we sold them for, sorry.

I managed to snag one and it is my hands-down favorite "goin-to-church" folder.

Joyce @ Spyderco