The mystery Spydercard...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

The mystery Spydercard...

Post by DutchBlades »

A few days ago I received some new spydies, including a NIB Spydercard.
This little guy raised some questions on my part.
As you can see, all seems well.
Original box is in decent shape and so is the knife itself.
However, there is a notch on the spine that indicates it being a factory second...
Is this a simple case of someone putting it in a box so he can sell it for a non-factory second price?
I know there was a dump of some Spydercards on the market a few years ago, did these include boxes?
Did Spyderco give the boxes at the factory seconds sale at some point?

Thanks in advance guys! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
GoldenSpydie

Re: The mystery Spydercard...

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The "XX" at the front of the SKU on the box designates this knife as a factory second. Very few factory second knives were sold with boxes, but when they are sold with boxes, "XX" is added to the SKU. A recent example of this would be the BBS S90V Millie seconds.

So yes, you ended up with a factory second, and yes, that box did come with that knife.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Thanks for the info on that!
I had no idea about the "XX" in the SKU.
Don't deal with seconds allot here in the Netherlands, but this made it all clear ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:The "XX" at the front of the SKU on the box designates this knife as a factory second. Very few factory second knives were sold with boxes, but when they are sold with boxes, "XX" is added to the SKU. A recent example of this would be the BBS S90V Millie seconds.
Great bit of info there G/S :)

Dutchblades, did the seller tell you it was a factory second? I hope you didn't over pay for it.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DutchBlades,

Congratulations. A unique piece for sure. The first of the "credit card" knives. The knife was designed by Eduard Bradichansky, a Russian Israeli toolmaker. A brilliant and skilled man. He was killed by Hamas in the West Bank and his car was burned. He was identified because he had the prototypes for the "SpyderCard" and "Shabaria" models (which he designed) and the metal parts didn't burn.

Hey GS,

Looks like w have a historian?

sal
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

sal wrote: He was killed by Hamas in the West Bank and his car was burned. He was identified because he had the prototypes for the "SpyderCard" and "Shabaria" models (which he designed) and the metal parts didn't burn.

sal

Sad history i must say. Hopefully the man already left this world for a better place before the flames got to him in that car. :(

And ontopic nice knife spydutch enjoy it. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spotted a PE version at a gun show last weekend and wanted to buy it but the price was well north of $200 and I just couldn't justify it.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Great bit of info there G/S :)

Dutchblades, did the seller tell you it was a factory second? I hope you didn't over pay for it.
I bought the Spydercard and the original large Persian for about $130, so it was a fair price even though he didn't tell me about it being a second.
Would've liked to know, but I don't know if he knew himself...
sal wrote:Hi DutchBlades,

Congratulations. A unique piece for sure. The first of the "credit card" knives. The knife was designed by Eduard Bradichansky, a Russian Israeli toolmaker. A brilliant and skilled man. He was killed by Hamas in the West Bank and his car was burned. He was identified because he had the prototypes for the "SpyderCard" and "Shabaria" models (which he designed) and the metal parts didn't burn.

Hey GS,

Looks like w have a historian?

sal
Thanks Sal, loving it and it has earned a permanent place in the wallet!
I did hear he was identified by some of his work but I didn't know the Spydercard was one of them.
It's a sad tale, but it's a great thing to remind him by and interesting information for the average knife-nut.
One of the most iconic looking knives I've seen to date and very functional.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

apollo wrote: And ontopic nice knife spydutch enjoy it. ;)
I've wanted one for quite some time now, already enjoying it and it'll ride in the wallet from now on!
Enjoying it won't be a problem! Glad I jumped on it when I saw it up for sale :D

Evil D wrote:Spotted a PE version at a gun show last weekend and wanted to buy it but the price was well north of $200 and I just couldn't justify it.
I'd love to get the PE model some day, but definately not for $200+ :eek:
But I really like this one for now; besides, I think the Spyderedge suits the older knives better, and a credit card knife is somewhat of a last resort in most cases since I always have knives on me. So having the serrations makes it even more versatile when it's needed!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I had one of those Spydercards some time back. It's interesting because I got it in a trade along with a SPOT model, Swick Model, and a MOUSE model>> talk about a group of ultra weird, unusual blades :rolleyes: I actually liked the concept of the Spydercard but I couldn't get that AUS-6 steel to hold an edge for anything no matter how sharp I got and no matter what angle I sharpened it at I just couldn't get more than 5 minutes of cutting time from it before it dulled out immediately.

I also had one of the Japan made Meerkats with that AUS-6 and I couldn't get it to hold an edge worth a hoot either :( >> and I truly liked both of the blades>> however one item from that era that I really miss was the Spydersaw which was another very interesting concept of Spyderco's.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Did somebody say Spydersaw?

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JD Spydo wrote:I had one of those Spydercards some time back. It's interesting because I got it in a trade along with a SPOT model, Swick Model, and a MOUSE model>> talk about a group of ultra weird, unusual blades :rolleyes: I actually liked the concept of the Spydercard but I couldn't get that AUS-6 steel to hold an edge for anything no matter how sharp I got and no matter what angle I sharpened it at I just couldn't get more than 5 minutes of cutting time from it before it dulled out immediately.

I also had one of the Japan made Meerkats with that AUS-6 and I couldn't get it to hold an edge worth a hoot either :( >> and I truly liked both of the blades>> however one item from that era that I really miss was the Spydersaw which was another very interesting concept of Spyderco's.
I don't plan on using it as a main EDC knife because of the bladesteel.
AUS-6 dulls quikly, so it'll be last resort cutting or cutting tasks where it'll serve better than the knife I'm carrying at that point in time.
And speaking about the Meerkat, I know what you mean by the edge holding... I really liked the Meerkat as a people friendly knife, so I got the burgundy one in VG-10. Like the PE blade better, bladesteel and the colour :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I have two spydercards a PE and a SE version as well. The only "drawback" of these knives is that you tend to forget about them untill you walk thru a metal detector and realise you have a spydercard with you!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Jim Malone wrote:I have two spydercards a PE and a SE version as well. The only "drawback" of these knives is that you tend to forget about them untill you walk thru a metal detector and realise you have a spydercard with you!
Yeah, I'll be sure to double check the keys and wallet next time I'm going on a plane :p Would be a shame to lose it because of that...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.