Avoiding a counterfeit: Which is a better place to buy Spyderco from?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
SpyderEdgeForever

Avoiding a counterfeit: Which is a better place to buy Spyderco from?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If I want to avoid any danger of getting tricked into a counterfeit Spyderco at all, do you suggest I ignore a Spyderco folder I saw advertised on Ebay, where the shipping is free, and stick with a trusted online or offline knife seller, even if it means paying the shipping cost? What would you do?
Sjucaveman

Re: Avoiding a counterfeit: Which is a better place to buy Spyderco from?

Post by Sjucaveman »

Many ebay sellers are very reputable authorized spyderco retailers. So it very much depends on the seller.

National knives, bladeswelove, United outdoors. Just to name a few.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:38 pm
Many ebay sellers are very reputable authorized spyderco retailers. So it very much depends on the seller.

National knives, bladeswelove, United outdoors. Just to name a few.
Absolutely.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I've bought several Spydies off ebay without any problems. The two most recent were from bigfishbuddy and todd-n-amy and they both sell legit Spydercos.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Is there a particular reason you need to use eBay? There are good sellers there, but why not support a local knife shop, or failing that, a dedicated online knife store which plays a positive role in the knife community? And there, you can be sure it's legit.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

In my case, the nearest local knife shop that is likely to carry a wide selection of Spyderco knives is SFO, a 3.5 hour drive each way. I suspect many people these days don’t have ready access to a local knife shop. More’s the pity.

In a few instances, eBay knife sellers are “dedicated online knife shops”. I know that the seller I patronize on eBay certainly is. He has a sizeable inventory, for a single individual whose main job is a school teacher, deals in top brands and only sells new, authentic products.

In the main I agree. Support your dedicated knife shops. Saving $5 to buy from a questionable source is problematic and does nothing to support those good knife shops. They have to make a profit to stay in business and their customer service is uniformly good.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

As others have said, there are numerous reputable online dealers, some are real brick and mortar stores too. I avoid eBay because I’m not good at spotting fakes, nor do I want to deal with the uncertainty.

Also if you’re after sprints, eBay sellers seem to list current sprints at auction prices even while the sprints are still available at the dealers! Pass...

Regarding shipping, most of the big online dealers give free shipping over a certain price point, generally easy to attain if you’re buying more than a dragonfly or Delica.

Happy shopping!