PM2 Plunge Grind

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Syczum

PM2 Plunge Grind

Post by Syczum »

Recently purchased a PM2 S110V from Amazon. The overall quality seems legit, but compared to my other PM2 in S30V, the plunge grind is different. It starts closer to the handle. Is this just a design change or possibly a counterfeit? Also, the rear jimping is a bit skewed/sloppy. The knife looks and feels authentic, but the blade seems fishy. Thanks for any insight.
Sharp Guy

Re: PM2 Plunge Grind

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pics would be really helpful!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Syczum wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Recently purchased a PM2 S110V from Amazon. The overall quality seems legit, but compared to my other PM2 in S30V, the plunge grind is different. It starts closer to the handle. Is this just a design change or possibly a counterfeit? Also, the rear jimping is a bit skewed/sloppy. The knife looks and feels authentic, but the blade seems fishy. Thanks for any insight.
Pics?

And did your purchase from a third party retailer that uses Amazon, or was it Sold by Shipped by Amazon?
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Syczum

Post by Syczum »

Pictures to follow, have to resize in order to attach. This is a test run for size.
Attachments
knife 1.jpg
knife 1.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 6711 times
Syczum

Post by Syczum »

These are the following photos. One of each knife, the other is the rear jimping on the new S110V. The jimping is backswept, but skewed and folded in some spots. Might be hard to see from the pictures and I might just bee nit picking too, but this is not the same flawless fit and finish as the S30V PM2. This knife was ordered from Amazon direct not a 3rd party seller.
Attachments
knife 2.jpg
knife4.jpg
knife4.jpg
knife 2.jpg
knife 3.jpg
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I can see what you are talking about regarding the grind. On the S30V, the grind is set forward more above and below the Spyder hole. This could certainly be due to different production models. I did pull up your knife on the Spyderco website, and compared with yours, it does look a little different, but hard to tell. And I doubt with Spydercos QC, a knife of that cost would have jimping that looks like that, though it is a bit difficult to see in the picture.
Attachments
F2AB3F08-1FF6-4E25-816D-CA2BE386BA19.png
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Syczum

Post by Syczum »

Yea, the jimping issue is minor, but still not the level of finish I would expect on a knife of this cost. That is if this is an authentic knife, which I do believe it is. I contacted Spyderco direct to ask about the grind but I doubt they will even entertain the question. The customer service has been less then stellar in the past. The blade just seems fishy, has anyone seen this style of grind before? I almost think it is a one off or a counterfeit blade on a legit PM2.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

There does appear to be a difference but I don’t rightly know how much plunge grinds vary and hope this helps. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Looks like there are a few people who have complained about receiving counterfeits in the review section of this knife on Amazon, however, in their cases it was a bit more obvious. How does everything else look, like the box and paperwork?

My motto, if in doubt use Amazon for what it’s known for...their stellar free return policy. Mark it “item defective or doesn’t work”, write “counterfeit” in the explanation and send it on its way.

I see that CutleryShoppe has this knife in stock. Because Amazon is considered an Authorized Spyderco Dealer, CutleryShoppe will match Amazon’s price of $150. You can call and speak to Jeff directly, but what he’ll ask you to do is mark “See Jeff - Match Amazon Price of ????” in the comment section upon placing your order. They have free shipping as well that has turned out to be super fast each time I have ordered knives, which is quite a few times. And you can’t beat their customer service. I have written about these things quite a bit here on the forum .
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I just received a new PM2 directly from SFO in Golden. Comparing mine to your photos, the only area of concern for me is the jumping. The cuts on mine are radiused to match the curve of the ramp, and they are uniform and exactly cut. There are thirteen “teeth” cut into the steel. Yours look crude and uneven. My plunge grind is not exactly in the top center of the spydie hole but a bit toward the handle. I think this can vary, but the jimping quality is not good. I’d return it. Or send it to Spyderco and have them check it out. They will do right by you. If it is a fake, returning it to Spyderco will keep it off the market.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Syczum

Post by Syczum »

Thanks Jase and MikeScott for the info. I exercised Amazons great return policy and they are next day shipping another knife to me. MichaelScott, can you post some pictures so that I can compare the plunge grind/spydie hole ratio? I doubt this is a counterfeit, maybe just some poor machining that slipped through QC. I also wonder if the S110V blades were outsourced and knife assembled in CO. I dunno, maybe I’m just splitting hairs, but the jimping isn’t as high quality as my other PM2.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Syczum

Post by Syczum »

Yup, same grind. Thanks MS
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You are welcome.

Team Innovation