"Tac NWO" Native 5 clone.

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Wanimator

"Tac NWO" Native 5 clone.

Post by Wanimator »

They're also selling it on Amazon. It's definitely a direct knock off of the Native 5.

https://tacnwo.com/products/tactical-folding-knife
Chinook3

Re: "Tac NWO" Native 5 clone.

Post by Chinook3 »

This is disturbing.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Bakedtundra

Post by Bakedtundra »

I own a native 5 and recently purchased their JOSAR tac-26 and it has some similarities but it's far from a clone.
The handle is completely different from my native 5. I'm actually impressed with the quality of the knife. I think it's a great knife for $40. Not everyone can afford hundreds for knives. FYI I am in no way affiliated with tacnwo but I saw this thread online and had to chime in a bit.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Bakedtundra wrote:I own a native 5 and recently purchased their JOSAR tac-26 and it has some similarities but it's far from a clone.
The handle is completely different from my native 5...
Um... unless your "tac-26" is radically different from the one pictured on the website, this is a flagrant, 1:1 clone. This is the Spyderco 5 G10:

And this is the "tac-26" (picture from website, but reuploaded to imgur by me):

Apart from the branding, the boye dent in the lockbar, a slightly different chamfer on the scales near the spydiehole, the weirdly-bent fake clip and its orientation, the designs appear identical.
Last edited by HammerHill on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bakedtundra

Post by Bakedtundra »

I see what your talking about. I have the patterned handle. Yea they do look a like. There are a lot of Spyderco clones out there that you can't tell the difference between real and fake they are identical. Look at super markets selling the same items just with oem packaging or store generic packaging, but the generic is a fraction of the cost. I'm glad that at least there advertising it as it is and not saying it's an authentic Spyderco. Let's be real here folding knives are a dime o dozen these days and just to get a quality knife at an affordable price is somewhat of a relief. I kinda see where your coming from but there not Spyderco's and they don't claim to be. I lose knives all the time and now at least I can carry a pretty good knife and not have to worry about losing it. I totally understand if your a die hard Spyderco fan. I like Spyderco knives as well just not the Spyderco price.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Bakedtundra,

You misunderstand me. I'm not making an argument about the morality of buying clones. First of all it's indefensible, but more importantly a subforum dedicated to spotting clones so that Spyderco can take appropriate legal action certainly isn't the place to have that discussion. I'm simply pointing out that this knife is a clone.

If I were to have the opportunity to talk to the person responsible for importing and selling this clone - a person who may have joined said subforum after noticing a spike in traffic to his website coming from a link posted on it - I'd advise him of the recent lawsuits filed against other clone resellers and the fact that the round hole in the blade is Spyderco's trademark, even without the Spyderco logo.
Last edited by HammerHill on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Disgusting!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bakedtundra

Post by Bakedtundra »

I have a benchmade with a round thumb hole.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Bakedtundra wrote:I have a benchmade with a round thumb hole.
Benchmade uses the round hole with Spyderco's permission. The details of that deal aren't public, but the agreement is longstanding. Spyderco also permits a few custom makers to use the round hole as well.

I think the key word here is "permission," and this ain't that.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

As long as I'm doing this, let's compare the copy for each knife, shall we? Quotes presented back-to-back:

Spyderco wrote:The Native 5 represents an evolution in American knifemaking with a bold G-10 handle and nitrogen-hardened CPM S35VN blade.
TACNWO wrote:The JOSAR TAC-26 features a bold G-10 handle and nitrogen-hardened CPM S35VN steel blade.
Spyderco wrote:Its flat-ground blade is PlainEdged with a weight reducing spine-swedge made using CPM S35VN. The steel is similarly structured to Crucible's CPM S30V but with the addition of niobium (columbium) carbides along with vanadium and chromium carbides. Niobium makes steel tougher while improving its resistance to wear and chipping and offers improved edge retention over basic smelted high-chromium steels.
TACNWO wrote:Its flat-ground blade is plain-edged with a weight reducing spine-swedge made using CPM S35VN. The steel contains niobium carbides along with vanadium and chromium carbides. Tough steel, resistance to wear and chipping and offers improved edge retention over basic smelted high-chromium steels.
Spyderco wrote:The black G-10 handle harbors dual skeletonized liners, a full-length back spacer and a back lock. First introduced to the knife industry decades ago, back locks have undergone many refinements and through better manufacturing techniques are among the safest and easiest locking systems to operate. Today's American-made back-locks have better self-closing ability, smoother action, solid lock-up and ease-in push-release opening for a higher caliber of lock.
TACNWO wrote:The JOSAR TAC-26 handle harbors dual skeletonized liners, a full-length back spacer and a back lock. Back locks have undergone many refinements and through better manufacturing techniques are among the safest and easiest locking systems to operate. Today's back-locks have better self-closing ability, smoother action, solid lock-up and ease-in push-release opening for a higher caliber of lock.
Spyderco wrote:Implementation of a new Bushing Pivot System on the Native 5 improves the blade's open/close fluidity while the folder itself is constructed with larger-sized torx screws for simple adjustments and tightening
TACNWO wrote:Implementation of a new Bushing Pivot System improves the blade's open/close fluidity while the folder itself is constructed with larger-sized torx screws for simple adjustments and tightening
You think TACNWO was aiming for copyright violations alongside their trademark ones? Or were they just too lazy to write their own (bogus) product description?
Last edited by HammerHill on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Annnnnnd the product listing is now removed from their website.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Not only is this a blatant copy but the knife is made in China and not in Japan, as stated previously on their web page. I know this because Bev from Tac NWO told me so.

Bakedtundra, I'm glad you like your knife but I'd bet you a real Native that it does not have an S35VN blade. There are plenty of sub $40 knives on the market that are good quality and that are not produced by steeling from other companies. Theft of copy writes, patents and other intellectual property might be ok with you but I think that it is despicable and anyone selling these fakes should pay a hefty fine. The fact that you support this practice just to get cheap merchandise does not speak very highly of your character.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

remnar wrote:The fact that you support this practice just to get cheap merchandise does not speak very highly of your character.
I should have been less subtle. He's not just supporting it with his purchase - it's obvious that Bakedtundra is TACNWO. Look at his signup date and post activity: a day after the link was posted, 3 posts all in this thread. We're not talking about Reddit here; this is a small forum that can be hard to find even when you know where to look. Nobody just "sees a thread online" in a place like this and chimes in - he saw traffic coming to his store coming from the link and signed up to try and do damage control.
Last edited by HammerHill on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Not to mention that TACNWO pulled the product after I warned him of the legal risk it was putting him in, and the fact that he explicitly denied being affiliated with the company even though nobody asked or accused him
Bakedtundra

Post by Bakedtundra »

Actually I googled tacnwo and this thread came up so I signed up in order to comment. It's a great knife. I get the negative comments about the trademark infringement. And no I'm not tacnwo, I'm just a consumer of Spyderco knives as well as other brand and non brand name knives.
No need to bust out with pitch forks.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Bakedtundra wrote:Actually I googled tacnwo and this thread came up so I signed up in order to comment. It's a great knife. I get the negative comments about the trademark infringement. And no I'm not tacnwo, I'm just a consumer of Spyderco knives as well as other brand and non brand name knives.
No need to bust out with pitch forks.
If that's true, then I'm sorry this was your not-so-warm welcome to the forums. Stick around and you'll find it a generally thoughtful, friendly, and passionate place. I wouldn't mention your clone-habit again, unless you REALLY want to see the pitchforks come out :p

I don't really believe you're not affiliated with Tac NWO, but I'll admit that I have nothing behind me but coincidences, and that coincidences aren't evidence.
Bakedtundra

Post by Bakedtundra »

LOL. I'm really not working with tacnwo. I may have just stumbled into the wrong forum.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you really are not affiliated with TacNWO I suggest you study up on the detrimental effects of their practices.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Based on IP addresses, I cannot definitively say that Bakedtundra is associated to Tac NWO. How about if we give the benefit of the doubt on this one for now?

Our legal team is aware of this thread so I'll let them do what they do. Wanimator, thank you for sharing this with us. This is a perfect example of why we have this area of the forum.

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I didn't see the knife a year ago. But, saw it yesterday on amazon in related items. Sue Amazon for continuing to allow these and the like on their site.