How to tell if it’s a fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Craven88

How to tell if it’s a fake?

Post by Craven88 »

I need some help. I have had my eyes on a Para 3 for a while now. It is my first spyderco so I am really excited. My wife told me the other day she bought me one for Christmas off Amazon because it was $103. It was extremely nice of her, but I was a little worried due to rumors of people receiving fakes. She said it was sold and shipped by Amazon. I know I can return it if need be but how do I determine if it is real or fake? Any help is greatly appreciated.
brainfriction

Re: How to tell if it’s a fake?

Post by brainfriction »

The one for $103 looks legit, at least the picture they are showing. Post a pic when you get it.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

brainfriction wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 am
The one for $103 looks legit, at least the picture they are showing. Post a pic when you get it.

Amazon uses the same stock photos everyone else uses. Those can't be used to tell if it's a fake.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 pm
brainfriction wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 am

Amazon uses the same stock photos everyone else uses. Those can't be used to tell if it's a fake.
That's true, but it's a good start. At least they aren't showing a picture of an obvious dhgate replica. Chance are it's legit, but there's no way to tell for sure until you have it in hand. Usually the overall fit and finish is suspect for a $100 knife, and they also tend to use those pointy star shaped screws like every cheap chinese knife, unlike a regular torx screw on a Spyderco with slightly rounded corners. Not always, but there's usually a few dead giveaways. Also most of the fakes out there seem to be PM2's, haven't seen a lot of fake Para 3's floating around.
ferider

Post by ferider »

By definition it's authentic. A happy wife is a good wife. :)
Craven88

Post by Craven88 »

Thanks for the tips. It should be here today so I will post pictures when I get it.
Craven88

Post by Craven88 »

Just got it. First thing I noticed was it was hair shaving shaving sharp and the blade Grindr is nice and even. Fit and finish looks really good. No up, down, or side to side play. The torx screws are rounded and are nice and flush with the G-10 scales. I tried to attach pictures but it keeps saying the image is too large. I’ll try to figure it out.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

That's good to hear. Enjoy the Para 3, it's an excellent knife!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Craven88 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:46 pm
Just got it. First thing I noticed was it was hair shaving shaving sharp and the blade Grindr is nice and even. Fit and finish looks really good. No up, down, or side to side play. The torx screws are rounded and are nice and flush with the G-10 scales. I tried to attach pictures but it keeps saying the image is too large. I’ll try to figure it out.
Email the pictures to yourself in a lower resolution to post that’s what I have to do.😖
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”