Collecting Balisongs and Switchblades in California?(2018)

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
BMan1107

Collecting Balisongs and Switchblades in California?(2018)

Post by BMan1107 »

I recently got into Knife collecting and I would love to purchase a Balisong or maybe an auto or switchblade but I had heard that these are illegal. I did some research and what I found first is that Balisongs are catergorized as a switchblade and you can collect them and play with them at home as long as you don’t carry them. However I looked up the laws on and official website and they appeared to be different(these laws were from 2017). Could anyone clear up what the laws are for California? And tell me if I can collect Balisongs at home? Thanks
Sjucaveman

Re: Collecting Balisongs and Switchblades in California?(2018)

Post by Sjucaveman »

It looks like if the blade is under 2 inches it's ok to carry. Otherwise you may possess it but cannot sell, loan, or transfer it.

Unless you live in a city with laws more strict than state law.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, BMan1107:
Welcome to our forum. I've moved your thread into the Restricted Models Discussion area. Your best source for local advice is your own police or sheriff's department. You might also look at your local city and county laws as those can vary widely. Good luck with your search and we hope you enjoy your time with us here.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

BMan1107 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am
I recently got into Knife collecting and I would love to purchase a Balisong or maybe an auto or switchblade but I had heard that these are illegal. I did some research and what I found first is that Balisongs are catergorized as a switchblade and you can collect them and play with them at home as long as you don’t carry them. However I looked up the laws on and official website and they appeared to be different(these laws were from 2017). Could anyone clear up what the laws are for California? And tell me if I can collect Balisongs at home? Thanks
BMan, welcome to the fourm! I live in SF and own 15-20 OTS and OTF autos. A couple Spydercos and the rest are BM, Microtech, and Protech, and RatWorx. I've had no problems ordering and recieving them from reputable vendors. On occasion I will carry one with the knowledge that it's not legal. I've never had a problem but I don't make a point of advertising that I have one. In the privacy of your own home I don't think you have anything to worry about and they are hoot to fiddle with. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"