Spyderco "Out the Front" or Legal Slide-Lock Model?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco "Out the Front" or Legal Slide-Lock Model?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, and all Spyderco users,fans, collectors, owners:

What are your thoughts on a Spyderco-made out the front model knife, either one that is spring driven, or, requires manual force, like a slide-lock that you unlock, and then use your thumb-pressure to manually slide the blade into a locked position?

IF such a knife were made by Spyderco and it utilized their standard quality materials and craftsmanship, would you definitely be interested?

I am picturing something that uses one of the quality steel types such as Lc200n or S30V or VG10, and, the housing is made from FRN or G10, and it has the trademarked hole in the blade more for the trademark rather than actual opening.

Thoughts?
ThePeacent

Re: Spyderco "Out the Front" or Legal Slide-Lock Model?

Post by ThePeacent »

well much like the Jani-song I think it's be a cool and super high tech project with a small number of units produced and aimed at a very small niche of the market,

mainly due to cost, legality, availability and complexity of parts/internals/steel.

Most Autos are harder to make, less reliable and more prone to failure or misfire, and the market is quite well established by the big brands (Benchmade, Protech, RatWorkx, Microtech) so price should be competitive and quality up to the $ tag.

Most brands that do not produce only Autpos and/or have a mainly automatic knife catalog are usually not on par with specific companies, and their offerings soon shade away. But Kershaw didi it with the Launches, BM with their autos, so why not?

The Autonomy seems like an excellent piece, a quite successful model and has a very strong fan base. Truth is that its blade shape, construction and materials make it a more rescue/utilitarian blade (as opposed to OTF knives mostly seen as tactical/defensive/military knives) so that might be part of the reason it's worked out so far.

As most of your ideas, SEF, I'd say "interesting" but "not really practical" right now
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I love OTFs and have since I saw my first German Paratrooper Knife and old-school Italian "trapdoor" OTF back in high school. I've always thought that a practical "slider" style of knife that was more capable than the classic "Christy" (http://www.christycompany.net/products/product-catalog/) would be cool. The classic Benchmark Rolox mechanism came closest to hitting the mark on this. Boker's "Boker-Matic" manual OTF was a weird attempt at the same concept that retracted under spring power. I've never fully understood Smith and Wesson's assisted-opening OTF models, but they fall somewhere in the mix.

It seems that Camillus has picked up the ball with their "Slydr Gravity Knife" (https://www.camillusknives.com/products ... knife.html), which looks like a scaled-up Christy concept. The fact that its name includes the term "gravity knife" seems foreboding, though. I think it would be cool to have a true, manual, locking OTF that's not a restricted item.

Stay safe,

Mike
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I recently got into OTF's (Microtech) and would LOVE to see a Golden-made OTF from Spyderco. Definitely a must-have for me.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you all for the great feedback and insights.

Mr. Janich and SpyderNut: Regarding the locking mechanisms for these types of knives, what is the most reliable that would make sure the blade would not accidentally close on the user?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 am
Thank you all for the great feedback and insights.

Mr. Janich and SpyderNut: Regarding the locking mechanisms for these types of knives, what is the most reliable that would make sure the blade would not accidentally close on the user?
The most elegant and seemingly strongest mechanism I've seen has been on the Hogue OTFs. They use short hardened steel plates that pivot in captive cavities machined into the handle. They're small and very well supported, so it seems they would be stronger than other designs I've seen with longer lock arms.

Stay safe,

Mike
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

though an OTF accidentally closing wouldn't guillotine your fingers in the process like a side auto (ie Autonomy) would :o
TomH

Post by TomH »

It be great see Spyderco make a manual OTF.
TomH

Post by TomH »

It would be great to see Spyderco make a manual OTF.
Eyelikeknives

Post by Eyelikeknives »

I would love to see a Spyderco OTF.