New Autonomy at Shot Show 2018

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
IUsedToLikeBenchmades

New Autonomy at Shot Show 2018

Post by IUsedToLikeBenchmades »

New to the forum! Only created an account so I could make this post. Who's got more info on the new Autonomy I saw pics of from Shot Show? Nobody has done a video that I've seen and only saw a couple pictures saying it was still under development... What they showed was a PE with more of a leaf blade profile. Hoping to hear it's LC200N and that it'll be out soon!
TazKristi

Re: New Autonomy at Shot Show 2018

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, IUsedTo...:
First, welcome to the Spyderco.com Forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

There actually should not have been any images from SHOT of the Autonomy 2. As you mentioned, it is still under development and it is only a prototype. I'm sorry but we don't have any additional information to share at this time.

Thanks for your continued interest and support!

Kristi

*Edited* - see below for a correction
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

TazKristi, I remember seeing it somewhere also. I think is was on one of the advertblogs for an online knife retailer, a video I think.
IUsedToLikeBenchmades

TazKristi wrote:Hey, IUsedTo...:
First, welcome to the Spyderco.com Forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

There actually should not have been any images from SHOT of the Autonomy 2. As you mentioned, it is still under development and it is only a prototype. I'm sorry but we don't have any additional information to share at this time.

Thanks for your continued interest and support!

Kristi
Well that's a bummer... It really got my hopes up! The only reason I didn't pick up the Autonomy before was that I don't care for H1. I'll be keeping my eye out. Also, how does one prove on the Spyderco website that we're allowed to purchase automatics?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IUsedToLikeBenchmades wrote:Well that's a bummer... It really got my hopes up! The only reason I didn't pick up the Autonomy before was that I don't care for H1. I'll be keeping my eye out. Also, how does one prove on the Spyderco website that we're allowed to purchase automatics?
Definitely a bummer. Hopefully Kristi's calling it a prototype means it will eventually make it to production, although perhaps with some further tweaks. I really like the reshaped handle. Regarding steel, LC200N would be OK, but I'd be happy with S30V, S35VN, CTS-XHP, CPM-154, or even CTS BD-1.

As for purchasing automatics directly from Spyderco, assuming you're qualified (military or law enforcement), you can register by clicking on the "CLICK HERE" link on the item's web page.
Restricted Item Example.png
[/align]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

One quick correction as I just found the video that is referred to above. KnifeNews did have permission for the short video. SHOT is such a marathon and with two separate booths sometimes we miss what one another are doing. :o

Just the same though, the prototype shown is a rough prototype so I would think of it as a slight tease as to what will come. I'm sure once we've caught our breath here, feedback given during SHOT will be shared through the R&D team and Autonomy 2 will continue to be refined.

Hang in there! I think it will be worth the wait.

Kristi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh please please please just make a PE version of the original. That's all I need. Same blade shape just PE. I'll even take in H1 to make things easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IUsedToLikeBenchmades

Evil D wrote:Oh please please please just make a PE version of the original. That's all I need. Same blade shape just PE. I'll even take in H1 to make things easier.
I was really hoping for PE LC200N!
IUsedToLikeBenchmades

The Deacon wrote:
IUsedToLikeBenchmades wrote:Well that's a bummer... It really got my hopes up! The only reason I didn't pick up the Autonomy before was that I don't care for H1. I'll be keeping my eye out. Also, how does one prove on the Spyderco website that we're allowed to purchase automatics?
Definitely a bummer. Hopefully Kristi's calling it a prototype means it will eventually make it to production, although perhaps with some further tweaks. I really like the reshaped handle. Regarding steel, LC200N would be OK, but I'd be happy with S30V, S35VN, CTS-XHP, CPM-154, or even CTS BD-1.

As for purchasing automatics directly from Spyderco, assuming you're qualified (military or law enforcement), you can register by clicking on the "CLICK HERE" link on the item's web page.
Apparently I'm registered as a vet, but they only sell to active military and first responders? Even though my state says I can own them and I could walk to the local store and buy one.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

IUsedToLikeBenchmades wrote:Apparently I'm registered as a vet, but they only sell to active military and first responders? Even though my state says I can own them and I could walk to the local store and buy one.
That is, unfortunately correct. When we ship across state lines we are bound by Federal law which only allows for active duty military and duly sworn law enforcement officers. Even locally, our state laws have changed, but our city and county laws have not (they mirror Federal).

We don't necessarily agree with the Federal law but we are bound by it.

Kristi
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Kristi, thank you for the great information on this.

Basically, if enough Americans and other people voted in a committed way and made it specific that their votes are in favor of automatic and balisong knives being legal to import and purchase and carry and own, would that change these laws and allow Spyderco general users to own purchase and carry knives like the Autonomy and the Janisong?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

IUsedToLikeBenchmades wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Apparently I'm registered as a vet, but they only sell to active military and first responders? Even though my state says I can own them and I could walk to the local store and buy one.
It is very sad my friend. First of all, I want to sincerely thank you for your service in preserving and defending the freedoms that we enjoy!

Secondly, I had it confirmed to me that, sure enough, excellent knives such as the Autonomy and the Janisong cannot be shipped to us. Its very grievous and painful that such things are the case.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TazKristi wrote:
That is, unfortunately correct. When we ship across state lines we are bound by Federal law which only allows for active duty military and duly sworn law enforcement officers. Even locally, our state laws have changed, but our city and county laws have not (they mirror Federal).

Kristi

How do you get around those laws when you ship to a dealer?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
TazKristi wrote:

Kristi

How do you get around those laws when you ship to a dealer?
I'm not Kristi, but she was talking about the Federal restrictions on selling and shipping to individuals who live in states other than Colorado. Federal law allows manufacturers to ship legally to dealers in any state.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, David:
Paul is correct. We also have a requirement that each dealer/distributor sign a document for us that states they are only selling restricted items to those who are legally able to purchase/possess them.

Kristi
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Would love the Autonomy 2 in a sweet super steel but to be honest if it is PE I would probably buy it even is the blade was made of wood.

Slight exaggeration but only slight.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It is up to the dealer in respective states to inquire/required credentials for autos. I have been asked for them by some dealers and others only seem to care about the sale.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
OleKnifeGuy

Re: New Autonomy at a Show 2018

Post by OleKnifeGuy »

I never had problems buying any Autos ; ever. I bought my first out at 12 years old.