Autonomy review/impressions

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Evil D

Re: Autonomy review/impressions

Post by Evil D »

Give it just a bit more thump ramp like a D'Allara and maybe a compression lock and I think it would be a huge success.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for the great review/impressions/pictures. That is a fantastic knife. Just to clarify, is the protruding ring the firing button, or is there a button inside the ring?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Nevermind, I googled it. Great knife. I agree it would be a great manual opener with a button compression lock also, if feasible.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

You’d lose some of the open construction, but a bolt action lock (sage 3) would work great here and would be truly ambi. The relatively “tall” scales offer a multitude of locking options.

The “hollow” button looks a bit odd but ergonomically it works. Leave it to Spyderco to understand the power of missing material.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm

The “hollow” button looks a bit odd but ergonomically it works. Leave it to Spyderco to understand the power of missing material.
Go put on some thick gloves and give it a try. That hollow button gives it some tactile feedback you can feel when thumbing it.
~David
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Great thorough and interesting review. Especially the link to the dis-assembled one. Due to the lighter weight, what I'd REALLY like to find is an Embassy but they seem rare as hen's teeth.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JDWY wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:11 pm
Great thorough and interesting review. Especially the link to the dis-assembled one. Due to the lighter weight, what I'd REALLY like to find is an Embassy but they seem rare as hen's teeth.
I really wanted an Embassy but honestly for the money they go for these days I'll just stick with the Autonomy. I like that it's rust proof and I love how H1 performs with serrations, and I absolutely love the Plunge Lock so I think the Autonomy has a few advantages over the Embassy.
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting write up. I was interested to see the coiled spring mechanism - my only ever pivoting auto used a back spring, illegal here, of course.