Spyderco OTF would be the greatest right?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
mrags89

Spyderco OTF would be the greatest right?

Post by mrags89 »

Who here would love a spyderco OTF? I mean if spyderco put the same effort into something like this like they normally do with their other designs and styles, I think it would be a bestseller! Similar in design to the janisong in regards to how the handle looks, but add a firing button on the side. Who else thinks that it is time for spyderco to release an OTF?
TazKristi

Re: Spyderco OTF would be the greatest right?

Post by TazKristi »

Let's move this over to the Restricted items area... We're happy to hear everyone's thoughts.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't know if sales would justify it, but I'd love to see Spyderco offer one or more double action OTF autos. Ideal configuration for me would be a side mounted firing switch like the Piranha Excalibur and BM Infidel and a double edged satin finish plain edged blade. Something with a look similar to the Euroedge would be fantastic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What if they partnered with Butch Valloton and offered a limited run of his "converted" Vallotons to test the market?
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know if sales would justify it, but I'd love to see Spyderco offer one or more double action OTF autos. Ideal configuration for me would be a side mounted firing switch like the Piranha Excalibur and BM Infidel and a double edged satin finish plain edged blade. Something with a look similar to the Euroedge would be fantastic.
Was looking through the Spyderco catalogue and came across the Euroedge and thought "that would be a nice OTF auto design". Just needs to be slimmed down a tad.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

A handy and for cutting tasks useful double action OTF would be very appreciated!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Peter1960 wrote:A handy and for cutting tasks useful double action OTF would be very appreciated!
That's something of an oxymoron IMO :)
Unless Spyderco team up with G&G Hawke. I have seen a video of their OTF and it's rock solid! Hitherto unheard of!..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TomAiello wrote:What if they partnered with Butch Valloton and offered a limited run of his "converted" Vallotons to test the market?
Tom, AFAIK the only conversions Butch Vallotton does are dual action (opens either as an auto or a conventional one hand opener) side openers, like his conversions of the Spyderco Vallotton Sub-Hilt. Not sure what type of knife could possibly be converted to a double action (automatic opening, automatic retract) out-the-front auto.
Larry_Mott wrote:
Peter1960 wrote:A handy and for cutting tasks useful double action OTF would be very appreciated!
That's something of an oxymoron IMO :)
Unless Spyderco team up with G&G Hawke. I have seen a video of their OTF and it's rock solid! Hitherto unheard of!..
If your idea of "handy and useful for cutting tasks" requires a knife to be a "hard use tactical folder", then you might be right. However, I suspect there are some for whom a knife comparable to the Microtech UTX-85, Ultratech, or Troodon, Benchmade Infidel or Mini Infidel, or Piranha Excalibur would do the job quite nicely. Certainly would for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I EDC'd an Ultratech and a UTX-85 (separately) for a while, and I found the UTX-85 to be more "useful." The LUDT was more "useful" than either though (but it's not OTF).

I've considered getting an Infidel, but I'm not huge fan of BM's business ethics, so I've never actually done that.

Also, for actual EDC utility, the OTF's have the rather large downside of freaking out non-knife people. I remember using the Ultratech at one of my kids playdates (wasn't actually thinking about it when I did it) and getting a "oh my god, are you a serial killer?" look from one of her friend's moms.

I think a shorter, wider blade would probably be a better "utility" OTF, but I'm not sure about integrating that into a slim package for carry.