Why does Spyderco not make more autos?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Midnightrider

Re: Why does Spyderco not make more autos?

Post by Midnightrider »

StuttgartMadness wrote:
embry386 wrote:I love living in Arizona. There's almost no anti-knife laws here. The only law I can think of goes like this: if you're under 21, the only kind of knife you're allowed to conceal-carry is a folding pocketknife. Over 21 you can do whatever the heck you like. :cool:
It's even better her in Virginia, no knife laws whatsoever! We can carry whatever we want whenever we want XD (which works out great because I'm 15 LOL)
Which Virginia? Because I have ten bucks that says you will not be able to walk through Alexandria, VA for more than 15 minutes holding a Spyderco military in your hand without going down to the station and possibly costing somebody a lot of money to ball you out of jail ;)

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/virginia/
http://www.knifeup.com/virginia-knife-laws/

I dunno, that sure doesn't sound like no knife laws whatsoever. Get a good lawyer!
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

StuttgartMadness wrote:
holeshot wrote:
TazKristi wrote:Hi, StuttgartMadness:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

We're bound by federal law so oftentimes the changes made at a state level have less of an effect than one might realize (even our own state). We also have city and county laws to abide by as well. I think this discussion is fantastic though and I look forward to seeing others reply.

I'm going to move this thread into the Restricted Model Discussion area. We try to keep everything related to restricted models in one place. :)

Kristi
Ok, I get the federal law thing. That being said, how does Benchmade, MicroTech,Protech etc get around the same restrictions or is more a local and state problem? :)
That's my question as well, Boker, Kershaw, and Schrade also make plenty of autos...
Boker and Schrade don't make autos; they make push button lock knives; that typically get converted via 3rd party. As it is currently illegal to import (not saying it's not done by some manufacturers) but still illegal.

Federal law prohibits interstate commerce of switchblade/auto knives, which is what I think Kristi is getting at when she says Spyderco is abiding by the applicable laws.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
StuttgartMadness

Post by StuttgartMadness »

Midnightrider wrote:
StuttgartMadness wrote:
embry386 wrote:I love living in Arizona. There's almost no anti-knife laws here. The only law I can think of goes like this: if you're under 21, the only kind of knife you're allowed to conceal-carry is a folding pocketknife. Over 21 you can do whatever the heck you like. :cool:
It's even better her in Virginia, no knife laws whatsoever! We can carry whatever we want whenever we want XD (which works out great because I'm 15 LOL)
Which Virginia? Because I have ten bucks that says you will not be able to walk through Alexandria, VA for more than 15 minutes holding a Spyderco military in your hand without going down to the station and possibly costing somebody a lot of money to ball you out of jail ;)

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/virginia/
http://www.knifeup.com/virginia-knife-laws/

I dunno, that sure doesn't sound like no knife laws whatsoever. Get a good lawyer!
It is legal to own any type of knife in Virginia, the only restrictions are on carry. And there are no size limits. Only things like you can't conceal a dirk, dagger, bowie, switchblade, machete, ballistic knife, and throwing stars. You can technically carry all of the above (except throwing stars, which are illegal... But technically not knives) in the open, just not concealed. Not saying it's a good idea by any means to carry a machete around wherever you go, but the statute remains. So the only way they could "take you in" for carrying a knife open down the street in Alexandria is if they said you were disturbing the peace, which has nothing to do with the knife itself, but your actions that caused it.

Even in the schools you can carry a folding knife with a blade 3" or less...
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
Trooper588

Post by Trooper588 »

We're bound by federal law so oftentimes the changes made at a state level have less of an effect than one might realize (even our own state). We also have city and county laws to abide by as well. I think this discussion is fantastic though and I look forward to seeing others reply.

I'm going to move this thread into the Restricted Model Discussion area. We try to keep everything related to restricted models in one place. :)

Kristi
How about an assisted opener as opposed to a true automatic?
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Trooper588 wrote:

Kristi
How about an assisted opener as opposed to a true automatic?
I'm not sure about the US, but in Russia assisted knives are not considered automatic. And Kershaw make a lot of assisted flippers, which are pretty indistinguishable from automatics, so it's probably simular.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Like daggers, autos seem to me to be pretty specialized. They need hard-to-come-by (and keep) skills. Most of us aren't bodyguards or special ops.

I'll use a handgun to keep my assailants beyond arm's length, thank you very much.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with owning an auto, but how many of us regular folk are willing to pay for knife of limited utility in view of all the 2017 catalog has to offer?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I still cannot wrap my brain around other companies not following the laws. It makes no sense for them to expose their business to that much risk by investing all the time, money, people, and reputation into producing a product that is illegal. The knife community is not that big, I hope someone from Spyderco can contact one of the previously mentioned companies to determine how they are legally manufacturing autos. They figured it out.

Or... Communication goes both ways, maybe Spyderco should inform them how they are breaking the law before they incur serious damage to their business.

They both can't be right. Can they?

I will admit it drives me crazy when I check BladeHQ, Knifecenter, etc. and see tons of Autos and Balisongs but none from Spyderco.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
The Snowman

Post by The Snowman »

That, and I doubt there's a huge demand for autos.
~Jonathan, the Snowman.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It constitutes a human rights-violation of international magnitude to restrict any law-abiding citizen from owning, carrying, and using automatic knives, and knives of any kind, whatsoever. It is akin to starving someone to death with government endorsement, by making it illegal for a person to own an automatic, spring-driven knife, such as the Spyderco Autonomy.

I would love to see Spyderco Autonomy knives in the hands of every knife-lover and knife-user out there. Can you imagine the amazing beauty of designs if Spyderco had free-reign and no-holds-barred access to manufacture automatic knives? I could see dozens of new models, including an entire Spyderco Automatic Salt line with the Autonomy and others heading it up, and an automatic-version of the Pacific Salt and Rescue Salt.
tjweeks

Post by tjweeks »

I own a lot of automatics, but my Citadel is my favorite.//forum.spyderco.com/downlo ... w&id=29713
Attachments
STA_0081.JPG